Author Topic: Concept PSP (Day 3) Flip Screen, LEDs and more to come  (Read 13693 times)

VoX

Concept PSP (Day 3) Flip Screen, LEDs and more to come
« on: May 03, 2008, 05:53:37 PM »

Hello, This is my second PSP mod and it is a work in progress. It is designed to be a totally different shape kinda like the PSP concept picture you seen on the web, hence the name

Day 1
I've completed the Screen and have secured it in place so that the ribbon cable doesn't flex to much which leads to it breaking. I have sawed out the thick plastic screen protector in the PSP and the home bar. I've replace the Screen Protector with a translucent piece of Plexiglass with the letters CPSP (Concept Playstation Portable), this letters will later be etched into the Plexiglass at a later time. I have install one of the sound reactive led's which will soon be four and they all will be positioned under each of the letters. Below is a progress video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ao8qlW5yPGI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ao8qlW5yPGI</a>

Day 2

I've add a logo to the top of the screen, added another LED which I soon will replace because it is different from the other one. That's really all. I've had my nieces 1st birthday so I haven't had much time to work on it. Below is another progress video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YjoYz4uKMDo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YjoYz4uKMDo</a>

Day 3

Nothing much happened, I just ordered a ton of Parts for the stages of the mod. All I can say there is ALOT to come. I'm planning on installing more Led's to it before the parts come. I'm working on a PS2 or PS1 controller mod to use it on the PSP
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 05:56:17 AM by VoX »

Offline j.s2ghetto

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • GHETTO inside
Re: Concept PSP (Flip Screen and more to come) WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 05:59:55 PM »
nice job but how r u going to reanforce the ribon cable
now i wanna do this looks awesome  :faint:

thank u P3nnywise for the sig
"See you have to understand the difference. The difference between me and you is to you, this is your job. To me, this is my life. The club; that's my job. The mall; that's my job. Your neighborhood; that's my job. This studio; this is my life. This is what I do better than anything."

VoX

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 06:05:28 PM »
Well, I'm going to make a hinge of an old DS that I have and adapt that to the PSP screen. I've got hot melt glue holding down about 85% or more of the ribbon cable to reduce the amount of flex. It is held in place perfectly and It only goes back so far. I have made the whole screen with the idea of stopping the flex and thus preventing it from breaking.

Offline Syugo

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 06:27:48 PM »
Wow. This is a complete rip of folklord36's idea.
not suitable for family site

Offline Wedge

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 06:28:24 PM »
Awesome, coolest thing ive seen in awhile.
Shut up, I know I am a pessimist.

VoX

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 06:32:31 PM »
Thanks, If you guys have any ideas, Please share them!

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 06:42:03 PM »
where did u get the idea??????

VoX

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 06:48:23 PM »
Well, I got the idea from a this thread: https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=18194.msg136835;boardseen#new. Buts that only the flip screen part. The way I put it in and the stuff I done is all my Idea

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 06:55:06 PM »
ok well im just kinda frustrated cus im doin a mod exactly like that and i told luke and some other ppl and now eveyone is doin it not that i have a problem with that i just kinda wanted to release mine first

Offline j.s2ghetto

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • GHETTO inside
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 06:58:19 PM »
ya alot of ppl r stealing folks idea and just cuz u posted a vid first doesn't mean it is urs  :angry: lol j/k
but i got folks back

"See you have to understand the difference. The difference between me and you is to you, this is your job. To me, this is my life. The club; that's my job. The mall; that's my job. Your neighborhood; that's my job. This studio; this is my life. This is what I do better than anything."

VoX

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 07:00:43 PM »
I havent been a member of Acidmods long enough to see folks idea of a flip screen, I only got the idea of doing it of a thread name and plus, my project isnt based around the a Flip Screen, its based around making it look like a Concept PSP.

P.S: Do you want me to credit you Folklord36?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 04:33:30 AM by VoX »

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 07:07:49 PM »
Okay Okay everyone settle down, this will end up in a frustrating and tiring race of who can finish it first, in the end there will be one pretty and one ugly version of it. So take your time people, when the other one gets finished first, who cares, it probably will look like a quickly rushed :censored:. You don't want that do you?

Now get your :censored: back up and start working on that stuff. Oh Quality over Quantity. Quantity = who got it first.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 07:15:26 PM »
*FuFa is right, there is no achivment in finishing this mod first if its going to look like :censored: then you have just wasted a psp and a great modding opertunity. I know for a fact that folk has spent alot of time figuring his out and he is very frustrated that others have been realesing ideas much the same as his. But in the end its gona come done to whose has the best look and performace and features. I 100% belive in what *FuFu said and so should all of u
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

VoX

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 07:17:54 PM »
Good point FuFa and GhoSt_Death, back on topic: I've decided to go for a spring loaded hinge where the screen is flipped up by the pressure of the springs. So essentially I'll have the screen clipped in and I release it and the springs will pull it up. If you guys have any better ideas then please share them

Offline j.s2ghetto

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • GHETTO inside
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 07:21:11 PM »
i think it would be bad azz if u made it motorized so when u flip a switch it goes up that would be awesome

VoX

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 07:23:36 PM »
i think it would be bad azz if u made it motorized so when u flip a switch it goes up that would be awesome

Ok, I can try that, I could link it up a button to a motor. I'll have to look more into this

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 07:25:54 PM »
Wow. This is a complete rip of folklord36's idea.
so many other people thought of this as well
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 07:31:51 PM »
hahaha be carefull if u make it spring loaded imagne the look on someones face if they are recording a POC video and press the screen to spring open and it propells with to much force right out the psp and into there face lol :rofl: . nah serously dude i would be carefull with spring loading a screen it will put a lot of stress on the ribbons.

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 07:45:29 PM »
spring load good idea but idk how practical it is. and glueing ribion down to right where its bending will make it break esyer cus the bending is focused in one spot instead of the whole cable bending a lil bit.and like ghost said its just ive been working on mine 4 a while and im like almost done and then other ppl doin the same thing lol. no need to credit me cus before me im shure sum 1 else thought "hey wouldnt a flip screen on my psp be cool".im just the first to think of it and actualy do it. but like fufa said in the end there will be one clean psp and one hacked togeather frankinstein lookin monster lol.

VoX

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 08:01:28 PM »
spring load good idea but idk how practical it is. and glueing ribion down to right where its bending will make it break esyer cus the bending is focused in one spot instead of the whole cable bending a lil bit.and like ghost said its just ive been working on mine 4 a while and im like almost done and then other ppl doin the same thing lol. no need to credit me cus before me im shure sum 1 else thought "hey wouldnt a flip screen on my psp be cool".im just the first to think of it and actualy do it. but like fufa said in the end there will be one clean psp and one hacked togeather frankinstein lookin monster lol.

I understand exactly. With the ribbon cable I'm about 95% sure its fine. Its place exactly the same as a normal PSP screen would except in the opposite way. Well only time can tell how if it works well. With the spring loaded one, It will be like one of those calculators that fold out slowly and the springs will have a bit of force beind them but not alot

Offline j.s2ghetto

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • GHETTO inside
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »
i think the motor idea would be better less probs with ribbon cable
also i was thinking wat if we did a a psp that had a screen that came up with a motor and rotated 360 degrees so u can turn it upside down and put it down so u don't see anything and screen is protected

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 08:13:47 PM »
the only reason i was doing this mod was to help ford out and sorry to say that flippy bit looks terriable  :fear: sorry

VoX

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 08:22:56 PM »
the only reason i was doing this mod was to help ford out and sorry to say that flippy bit looks terriable  :fear: sorry

Flippy bit?, Please enlighten me so that I can make it look better

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 08:28:43 PM »
tighten up em hinges cas it looks kinda dangerous how the screen knida bounces when it flips down, a clip down the bottom whould be cool so u could hold the screen down safely, gud luck

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »
Flippy bit?, Please enlighten me so that I can make it look better
when u flip the screen its to losse and its gonna break sooner or later

Offline j.s2ghetto

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • GHETTO inside
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 08:42:03 PM »

wat bout something like this with a motor so u can put it up and when it is up u can put it vertical to watch movies or put it own and it is a normal psp or a upside down for so u see nothing just back of lcd
wat u think i might do it or let someone else wit more skill do it idk
sounds kool to me

VoX

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2008, 09:36:23 PM »
tighten up em hinges cas it looks kinda dangerous how the screen knida bounces when it flips down, a clip down the bottom whould be cool so u could hold the screen down safely, gud luck

Thats what the springs are going to be for, there's going to be equal force on each side, the clip holds the screen down and the springs are pulling it back. That way its not going to be floppy. Today I've got my niece's 1st birthday party so I wont have a lot of time but I will get around to it.

EDIT: I've manged to make the spring hinge and it seems to be working
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 11:29:02 PM by VoX »

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2008, 11:52:35 PM »
To the folks thinking about talking about a huge contraption with the screen, remember that his skills to making a hinge or anything to fix the ribbon bending issue is limited due to the ribbon itself. Mind you a ribbon can only last so long from bending and rebending, even if 95% is staying still. I saw the vid, and it's one hell of an idea, I can care less for now from where it came from (not trying to offend anybody here), but if you are going to use the DS hinge, you ought to use the little rotating parts that come in it, and try to use that to your advantage, so that you can have it bent in 2 positions and those can hold the screen up. Best thing to do is probably find a way to stop it from bending any further, like some clips that will stop the screen from moving back. If there was anyway to actually use something rather then flatwire, then it would probably make this mod so much easier and give new concepts to it, like rotating the screen itself as someone here mentioned, or even flipping it back all the way without any damage so that people behind you can be amazed as how you can do that, like some sort of kid who can bend his head back all way to his neck :P. I'd probably make a plastic protective CUSTOM case for that baby if I was you, just to give it some protection if it ever goes in you pocket or bookbag or something, heh.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

VoX

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2008, 12:10:58 AM »
Good points, I've ditched the DS hinge Idea because it didn't really fit and I also ditched the Spring one too, So know I'm looking for a new way to make a hinge

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2008, 12:58:38 AM »
Well have you tried to make any modifications to the hinge to see if it fits? Honestly I see that being the best option, teh spring will be either too powerful or too weak. You could just set clips to hold the psp screen at an angle w/o it going too far back, and you just lift it yourself, then in time you can improve on it from there. Basically picture 2 tabs in the back of the PSP and 2 other tabs on the back of the screen, when they hit each other, they stop the screen from going back. I say the only real problem is finding the right angle to use or finding a way to make it bend at different angles and keeping it in place.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal