Author Topic: lithium ion battery mod for the 360 controller  (Read 10404 times)

Offline DubbedTheBeast

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
lithium ion battery mod for the 360 controller
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »
so i have been working on this for a little over a week now. i did take photos while i was doing it but then i realized i had wired it backwards. in my frustration i forgot to take photos of it while i was finding a solution.

but here it is the not so finished creation:

you will see that i have taped it to the back of the controller while i find a way to successfully install the battery in a hidden place. i may also look for an alternative battery with the same capability but slightly smaller size.

when i first started doing this i was trying to wire the battery directly to the controller but because of the way the charging system works it is simply impossible. after finding a way to cope with it i decided to pull my plug and play battery apart. it is only glues together so you would need to carefully pry it open with a small flat head screw driver. you will not break it easy but nobody wants to have scarred toys.

this is what the pack looks like in pieces. note: the piece of tape is holding the PCB to the case, you need to pull the batteries back just enough to use some tweezers to peel the tape away.

basically all i did is remove the terminals that connect the pack to the controller, both from the controller and the pack itself and wired it directly to the controller in the matching positions.

after that i removed the stock batteries from the PCB and soldered wires for the plug i am using. the female plug is identical to the ones used for the rumble packs in the 360 controller. the battery i am using happens to be scavenged from my PS3 chat pad(i never used it anyway) and is also identical to the ones used in PS3 controller. you can get the for $5 if you google search replacement batteries for the PS3 controller. i have a photo here for you.

at the moment i am still looking for problems with it but i can get over 12 hours of play time on a normal controller with it(fully charged) and keep on trucking. one thing i have noticed is the plug and play cord will say it is fully charged when it is not but will continue to charge it. another cool thing about it is you can use your LEDs without using up all your AA batteries showing off to your friends. i could never get it to work with my plug and play battery pack but now i can.

if you guys like this i will take more photos on the next one i make to show you how i did it. maybe even a video, i have a very nice HD camera(hence the super clear pics :cool:).

if anyone has any suggestions about how i can hide this battery inside i would be very appreciative.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:07:48 PM by DubbedTheBeast »

Offline Phantom

• Club AM VIP
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +11/-1
Re: lithium ion battery mod for the 360 controller
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 05:34:37 AM »
go at it with a dremel and im sure you will make it fit  :winker:

you could cut out the plastic where the batterys usually sit (underneath where your battery is sitting now) and cover it up with the battery pack.

a battery with a higher mAh rating would have longer playtime right?

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 07:35:59 AM »
awesome little mod mate... i was doing something similar on y current project pad.... currently on hold while in backpacking arund europe.... but now with ur input i wont need fookz to design me a charger circuit i can just dismantle one of my dead PnP batterys and use the circuit from that.... nice mod mate...

maybe write up a full tut and get a mod/admin to check and ad it to the tuts area :)    :tup: :tup: :tup:

Sigs made by Ken and blazin from the AM Art team cheers guys.....
Spurgurgle d.t com
"I'm kinda like a typo, not quite right, but most people still understand me"

Offline DubbedTheBeast

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 03:56:42 PM »
maybe i could do that. right now i have been looking at other things but i plan to come back to this and refine it to give the best results.

also i have been thinking of trimming the sides of the battery area away just a little so that i can fit other mods in the battery compartment. only thing is, it will make those parts very thin and may cause it to break easy. the only other place i can think of is cutting the back section out and placing a thin sheet of high grade plastic(which i can take from a chemical package from work) and use it to rest the board against, to completely internalize the mod. which would leave the battery compartment as an very large area to add other things to. this could also make the controller very weak, if i do it wrong.

Offline gryphon25

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 02:54:09 AM »
I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now. I was thinking of using a wired controller so you don't have that big extrusion on the back which should make more comfortable to hold.
I was also thinking about using a PS3 controller battery as that should hopefully provide enough power to play for a few hours.
My only concern is if the battery will be able to fit inside the cover or if I will have to cut on it.

Any advice on connecting everything correctly would also be appreciated.

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 04:11:35 AM »
Wow  Bringing Up An Old Thread When You Could Use One Of The Many Lithium Ion Battery Mod Thread Thats Been Recently Posted. Anyway Just Use The Search Function And Youll See Them. Hint: Check Out The Current Mod Off For The Lithium Ion Mod.

Offline michael

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 01:07:25 PM »
hi. hello my question is how to connect the li-ion pack where the plus and minus where the springs or pins which if you gave some protection as 3.7 li-ion and AA R6 is 3.0, no damage. Sory for spelling google translate full li-ion 4,2v ?? can damage the controller??? how to connect it?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:08:44 PM by michael »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal