Author Topic: One side of my xbox 360 fan isn't working. HELP!!!!!  (Read 4706 times)

Offline samuldacamul

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
One side of my xbox 360 fan isn't working. HELP!!!!!
« on: October 10, 2008, 01:21:35 PM »
So I made a strip of LED's to install in my console.  I glued the panel in my case. the positive and negative leads i put in the fan slot, and then plugged my fan back in, so I am basically taping in the the fan's power source.  When I powered in my 360 everything was working fine and LED's  lit up.  The next day I turned it on again with the same results.  then I touched one of the wire, and they went out, I figured it was just a short circuit since my finger was touching it, but when i took it off of the wire, they didn't light up.  I checked the connections to make sure everything was good, and it was, but still no lights.  I unplugged my fan, took the wires out of the slot, then plugged it back on.  When I powered on my 360, only one side of the fan powered up.  I inspected the prongs to the failing side, and they looked fine.  I plugged in a spare fan I had, thinking maybe it was just the fan, but still, no power the one side.  I have no idea what to do.  It's like a somehow just fried those 2 prongs, by touching the wire!. please help!

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
Re: One side of my xbox 360 fan isn't working. HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 02:01:31 PM »
It is possible that the LEDs were too much for the fan supply and fried it at the same instance you touched the wire. This happens whenever you tap into your fan supply and results in a blown transistor. Hate sending people to the scene but it has been posted numerous times over there:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=612366
check out post #5

In the future, never wire anything to the fan supplies, it is a poor choice to take power from, as is the DVD drive.  As per RDCs description the fan controller transistors can only handle the fan power, nothing else.  There are plenty of places you could have found voltages that are supplied directly from the psu.  If you are interested say so in your response and I will point you to the spots.

I am assuming you went to the fans cuz you don't solder so I suggest finding someone who can replace SMT and sending them your box, or if you do solder, hard wire your fans to 9V.

Offline moeiscool

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: One side of my xbox 360 fan isn't working. HELP!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:48:28 PM »
12v mod the still working fan =D

even though my xbox is still working fine, it is a launch 360
i just cut a hole open in the side directly above the CPU fins
and mounted a 12v fan and put its on 12v adaptor so the cpu gets direct above air
not some :censored:ty 6v or 9v two fans that do nothing
i was thinking of wiring those fans to my 12v but ill keep em normal until the fan plug in is broken
PLEASE DONT USE REFERRAL BANNERS IN YOUR SIG
Signed
Mac

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal