Author Topic: Drummerdude's Controller Mod  (Read 4766 times)

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
Drummerdude's Controller Mod
« on: July 10, 2013, 09:24:20 AM »
Here's my controller mod work log.
Plans:
-Move left analog stick where dpad is
-Use a 3ds slider as the dpad
-Internal rechargeable battery with wired shell back. It seems like this is becoming a standard so I'll join in the fun too
-Gamecube abxy buttons(?) I love the gamecube controller abxy buttons more than any other because it's so easy to do combos and you barely have to move your thumb to hit any other button. This isn't set in stone yet cause I'm not sure how this will affect 360 games.
-Maybe some sort of leds too

And my stock controller

"I'm not a very tall person, however I show self-confidence of a bigger person"

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
Re: Drummerdude's Controller Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 11:27:22 AM »
I got most of my parts in. The batteries, 3ds slider, 3ds shell, and some jb-kwik. Unfortunately, my dremel died last week so I'll be going to home depot tomorrow and getting a new one. The 3ds slider feels awesome. It's much better than the psp joystick and the cap for it is nicer too.

I forgot to update the date on my card it's meant to say july 12.

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »
I bought a new dremel at homedepot yesterday. I picked the dremel200 not only cause it was the cheapest but it was the lightest and smallest. I got most of the work done on my controller. The casework turned out great and all the bondo work is perfectly smooth. I put in a lot of precision to make the joystick perfectly centered in the hole too and it's easy to sprint in cod.

I painted the case neon green but I didnt like the paint so much so I took it off. I'm thinking gloss black on top and a demonic red on the bottom next time.

The 3ds slider dpad works perfectly. The slider feels good but it also responds well on the screen. This picture shows clearly how I did it. I have a microchip wired up that converts the analog joystick to a digital dpad.

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:19:54 AM »
The 3ds slider dpad works perfectly. The slider feels good but it also responds well on the screen. This picture shows clearly how I did it. I have a microchip wired up that converts the analog joystick to a digital dpad.

Looks very cool! can i ask about that chip? where can i get something like that? I'm interested in doing this on some of my projects. and can you use this chip with a psp joystick?

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 08:10:14 AM »
I asked RDC to make me that chip a long time ago but I never finished the project so I'm using it now. I think you could use a psp cause they are practically the same thing, but I dont see why you would want to cause the 3ds slider is way better.

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 08:52:24 AM »
well, i do have some psp ones laying around from long ago, and want to put it to use. You know of anywhere where i can find it still though?

thanks

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 08:53:49 AM »
well, i do have some psp ones laying around from long ago, and want to put it to use. You know of anywhere where i can find it still though?

thanks
If you want to buy the chip, you'd have to message rdc.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 10:03:28 AM »
its just an ADC in DIP package correct?

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »
I dont know what it is called really.

I got those batteries in there. I didnt make any effort to save the rumble motors cause I dont care for them anyway. The controller is practically done besides painting and I need to add the charging jack too.

1200mah batteries in there. Not sure how long they will last but I know the rechargeable battery pack is around 2000mah and that lasts apparently 25 hours so i think i will get around 15 hours? But then again, I bought cheap batteries. I'll be happy if I can get atleast 5 hours.

No battery pack anymore!

Test fit and everything works perfectly.

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 12:10:06 PM »
LOVE the controller man!

i'll message RDC then, or google a bit . Thanks though

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 12:51:27 PM »
The controller is practically finished now. The paint turned out perfect. It's shiny and you cant even tell that the controller has been modified because its been sanded so well. Also, I changed the ROL leds to red. The charging jack came in the mail and it was much bigger than I expected but I found room for it while keeping both batteries. I still need to modify the charger but that shouldnt be difficult or take long. I didnt add any rapid fire because I dont care for rapid fire anymore but there is still plenty of time left and I may add it later.

Offline FlameClad

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 07:15:51 PM »
Well... There goes my chances lol... I will still play, but omg, I am SO out of my league! hahaha

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 08:29:14 PM »
Well... There goes my chances lol... I will still play, but omg, I am SO out of my league! hahaha
Lol thanks. But it's not always all about winning. Heck, I made this controller also because I wanted to play xbox(haven't touched it since last modoff) and I refuse to play on an unmodified controller! Don't give up and  don't underestimate yourself!

I decided to give Final Rapidfire a spin. It's all wired up but I didnt do the rs232 port yet because my usb-to-rs232 cable is coming in the mail along with an audio jack which I ordered tonight. It works just like flexrf for now. I played with the controller for around 5 hours today and the batteries still got some juice in them! It meets my requirements.

Offline FlameClad

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 09:11:19 PM »
ALL of my mods are going to be superficial... I would love to learn how to solder so that I could add all those killer LED mods and such. No real need for rapid fire. I am a Skyrim junky :P

My mod that I am working on would greatly be improved by sky blue or mint green LED around the home button. Should I just go for it?

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 11:40:25 PM »
ALL of my mods are going to be superficial... I would love to learn how to solder so that I could add all those killer LED mods and such. No real need for rapid fire. I am a Skyrim junky :P

My mod that I am working on would greatly be improved by sky blue or mint green LED around the home button. Should I just go for it?

You only can know by trying. Read some of our tutorials  in the tutorial section and if you have questions make sure to make a new topic and ask

Offline FlameClad

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
I have seen some really good tutorials on YouTube. I am going to order the sky blue LEDs for this project, along with my first soldering iron kit.
I guess I am a little afraid of borking my controller :P That said, the process looks fairly strait forward... To me, this would be an essential element to make a valid mod, not just aesthetic.

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »
So there was a tiny crack by the new analog stick I put in. I had an itch to scratch at the crack. I knew it was a terrible idea but I couldnt live with myself not touching. Well i scratched off some bondo and i tried to put some superglue on it to seal the crack but now it looks ugly and that small imperfection is killing me. I'm going to make a new controller now. I'll still keep this one cause it works great but now I'm going for perfection. Also I tried to add the repogramming jack on the controller for finalrf but it wasnt working properly, hopefully I can fix that. I'm gonna order new parts now. Progress in a few days when parts come in.

Offline Icyhaze

• Dirty Dev
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User Personal Modder
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 07:27:39 PM »
GREAT work dude!  :tup: definitely tuned in for the next one!

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 06:30:53 PM »
Lot of progress on the new controller! I jbwelded the controller pieces in a few days ago and brought the controller and some bondo to the  beach this weekend and did some sanding.

I'm using super famicom buttons for the abxy because they have the correct color and the buttons are flat unlike the normal ones which are slanted and would look awkward. I glued in a piece of spare plastic which I drilled 4 holes for them into the controller. Again, I'm using the 3ds slider as the dpad. Also, I cut off the battery pack on the controller.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal