Author Topic: Differences between RGH and Jtag  (Read 49663 times)

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
  • Electrical Engineering Student
Differences between RGH and Jtag
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:28:48 AM »
can anyone answer these:

what are the differences between rgh and jtag?

The difference between an RGH and a JTAG is what separated the men from the boys :p

LOL anyway. The difference is with a RGH you can constantly update your console and still have the option to go back to modified firmware any time you wish whether it be by dual nand or just re-flashing and re-installing. An RGH does the same thing as a JTAG with a handful of advantages over a JTAG. However, RGH can be tricky and stubborn. It is easy to screw up and can be touchy sometimes when putting you console back together. (meaning if a screw is too tight it will not boot and stuff.)

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: Differences between RGH and Jtag
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 10:12:51 AM »
The difference between an RGH and a JTAG is what separated the men from the boys :p

An RGH does the same thing as a JTAG with a handful of advantages over a JTAG. However, RGH can be tricky and stubborn.

please elaborate these advantages. As I think you are incorrect.

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:25:47 AM »
please elaborate these advantages. As I think you are incorrect.

You can have your RGH fully up to date and be able to run unsigned code with the ability to use the same console on xbox live with the original nand. The RGH cannot be fixed by a software update. You can run devkit kernals on the RGH. Xbox 360 Slims can be modified with the RGH (Trinity Motherboards only) thus eliminating issues with RROD and such like you get with JTAG's.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:08:58 PM »
You can have your RGH fully up to date and be able to run unsigned code with the ability to use the same console on xbox live with the original nand. The RGH cannot be fixed by a software update. You can run devkit kernals on the RGH. Xbox 360 Slims can be modified with the RGH (Trinity Motherboards only) thus eliminating issues with RROD and such like you get with JTAG's.

your logic is backwards...

Jtag can be fully up to date, (mine is) and run unsigned code
Are you sure you can use a RGH console on live? can anyone else confirm this??? I can reflash my original nand and go on live if I wanted to in about two mins.
"the rgh cannot be fixed by software update" dont count your chickens before they hatch, there are more than a dozen techs at MS tring to put a stop to this as we speak.
you can rundev kernels and such on jtag
RROD has nothing to do with jtag or RGh

do you need a bigger shovel yet? that hole is getting deeper and deeper.

a real Jtag will always be more powerful of a tool than a RGH form both software and hardware perspective. Jtag gives full control over the xbox, RGH is a Glitch. and we all know how reliable glitches are. my jtag works everytime, same boot times as a normal xbox.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:37:12 PM by Modded Matt »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »
I need data, facts...I dont agree with either of your arguments.
the 1 thing jtag lacks is the ability to launch a devkit kernel.
Ok, I see that, but that is ONLY due to the fact that the SOFTWARE BUILD was only wrote to work with the RGH chipset. This has no relevance to the difference of jtag vs rgh. I may agree with a statement that there is more software for rgh....
Jtag also dont also have the same boot time.Rgh can be really slow but can boot up at about 5 sec
my jtag boots every time, at the exact same speed as my stock xbox every time.
There are more abilitys that the rgh hack has but no one is willing to do it for the fact of what jtags did to games before.The rgh has unlocked many doors and possibilities.It can be a big tool if more people pitch in but i would rather not see it end up like jtags.
Rgh has the potential to be bigger than a jtag by unknown limit
I dont understand why you would make such a rash statement. I dont even know how to rebut...ill try
"there are more abilities......no one is willing." facts please? there are more things the jtag can do that people dont share, or explain, have a look through xbins.
"the rgh has unlocked many doors"... meh, many even I would say Jtag opened the door for rgh and please enlighten me on what doors rgh has opened.
"Rgh has the potential to be bigger than a jtag by unknown limit" thats a very boastful statement I dont think your qualified to make even if it was accurate.

facts please.... no opinions. I think this one question warrants a split into a separate topic until a real answer can be made.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:34:23 PM by Modded Matt »

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 08:16:05 PM »
your logic is backwards...

Jtag can be fully up to date, (mine is) and run unsigned code
Are you sure you can use a RGH console on live? can anyone else confirm this??? I can reflash my original nand and go on live if I wanted to in about two mins.
"the rgh cannot be fixed by software update" dont count your chickens before they hatch, there are more than a dozen techs at MS tring to put a stop to this as we speak.
you can rundev kernels and such on jtag
RROD has nothing to do with jtag or RGh

do you need a bigger shovel yet? that hole is getting deeper and deeper.

a real Jtag will always be more powerful of a tool than a RGH form both software and hardware perspective. Jtag gives full control over the xbox, RGH is a Glitch. and we all know how reliable glitches are. my jtag works everytime, same boot times as a normal xbox.

you just flash the original nand back and have fun. You try that on a jtag and no more jtag once you take the official ms update. Also, I wasn't talking about freeboot updates, I was talking about the official Microsoft updates.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:51:37 PM by Anonamous »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 08:31:14 AM »
as am I my jtag xbox is running the newest update 14xxx....before this one:

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=41370.msg311596;topicseen#new

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 05:50:55 PM »
as am I my jtag xbox is running the newest update 14xxx....before this one:

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=41370.msg311596;topicseen#new

No, it is running the freeboot 14XX not the official microsoft update.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 06:02:50 PM »
ok so you got me there.

but all freeboot is is a stripped down version of the MS firmware that removes certain software bade restrictions. neither can be used online.

relevance?

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 08:24:14 PM »
ok so you got me there.

but all freeboot is is a stripped down version of the MS firmware that removes certain software bade restrictions. neither can be used online.

relevance?

none, you were saying that you had the update on your jtag when you didn't. You can put that update (The official/non freebott update) on a RGH and not have to worry about bricking anything so you can go play on xbl. The onsole I use everyday on xbl has been RGH before.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 07:32:59 AM »
so your telling me you have a RGH console you use on live? I call bull:censored: and you have still failed to show these differences and advantages you speak of.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:38:27 AM by Modded Matt »

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 08:21:15 AM »
so your telling me you have a RGH console you use on live? I call bull:censored: and you have still failed to show these differences and advantages you speak of.

It was RGH I removed it and put the original nand back on, which you can only do with  a RGH. You can update the console that has been RGH and if you want you can re-install the cpld and re-flash the RGH image back and it is RGH again.

You will just have to re-make you RGH nand image again after taking an official microsoft dashboard update.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:21:59 AM by Anonamous »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »
so your saying that the difference is that you can do all this work, removing your mod, so you can update the console to play on live if you choose...... You can do this with jtag.  + one point for RGH

But the difference is

after you update you can reinstall the cpld and have a RGH console again.

but...

you can remove the jtag mod, update and then install the cpld and turn your jtag into a RGH. + one point for jtag!!!

I still dont see any benefit. nor all these extra open doors and possibilities of which this debate originally started. I am starting to believe that was all fluff and the only difference is

Jtag is a real mod (actually overwriting the original programing)
RGH is a glitch forcing the xbox to boot into a modified kernel. 

neither of these can be used on live. and there is no difference between a freeboot updated dash and the official one. The only difference I see in this thread is the FACT that boot times and stability are more consistent/reliable  on a JTAG......

just to be clear dude, I am not trying to argue, and I hope I have not upset you, but I believe there are alot of myths out there that people think are facts. I am trying to separate fact from fiction.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:51:21 AM by Modded Matt »

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 09:10:31 AM »
The thing thats nice about the RGH and people install it to get the DVD key for consoles like I have had for years where the dvd drive doesn't match so yes it is a nice option for that, and really its alot of work to do just to retrieve the dvd key on a console that has a dashboard 8955 and higher.. but for someone like me it is worth it, to retireve the key and install a new drive to it, and return it to the original nand. to sell the console and still can be used on XBL... the only issue i have found is that when it comes to updating to XBL it wont allow it due to a preivous dashboard update over writes the dvd key so XBL reconizes the dvd drive has changed and even with the original firmware , it still will not allow you to update on xbox live.. really a pain in the ass.. so if your going to go thru all that work you might as well RGH the console. install Freeboot and FSD and make the console worth something .

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 10:20:55 AM »
The thing thats nice about the RGH and people install it to get the DVD key for consoles like I have had for years where the dvd drive doesn't match so yes it is a nice option for that, and really its alot of work to do just to retrieve the dvd key on a console that has a dashboard 8955 and higher.. but for someone like me it is worth it, to retireve the key and install a new drive to it, and return it to the original nand. to sell the console and still can be used on XBL... the only issue i have found is that when it comes to updating to XBL it wont allow it due to a preivous dashboard update over writes the dvd key so XBL reconizes the dvd drive has changed and even with the original firmware , it still will not allow you to update on xbox live.. really a pain in the ass.. so if your going to go thru all that work you might as well RGH the console. install Freeboot and FSD and make the console worth something .

you just talked yourself in a full circle..... Im still not convinced

LOL the funny thing is that I keep hearing that RGH can never be stopped with software. It looks like the 14717 update did just that, however there has already been a patch for it on the slim units. This is MS first attempt at stopping the RGH and it worked...or at the very least is considered proof of concept, and you bet your ass they are expanding on this update. I expect RGH will be blocked with the next official update.... without sending them my xbox lol
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:30:48 AM by Modded Matt »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »
Maybe it would be best to compare a list of what a RGH console can do vs what a Jtag can do...

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »
Make a RGH (Reset glitch hack). Then you will see.... That is the easiest way to prove it... It's more work then a jtag..... And reread... Didn't talk in a circle.

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 11:50:53 AM »
Make a RGH (Reset glitch hack). Then you will see.... That is the easiest way to prove it... It's more work then a jtag..... And reread... Didn't talk in a circle.

I am in the process of getting needed itmes..... The question is what am I going to see, whats the difference?  What are you trying to prove..... (I was told RGH is so much better than Jtag, and dont believe it. Just by pure definition) "its more work than a JTAG" + one point for Jtag.......

reread, and you started by saying it was worth it just to get the key, then turned around and said this was too much of a pain in the ass so just rgh them and sell them......

"make one and see is" not the appropriate answer that should be given to me or our members......

This is not about what I know/think or what you know/think or a :censored: size thread, which is where it seems to be going, this thread is to layout the factual differences

point count:

jtag=2
rgh=1

PS: everyone is avoiding the new dashboard SOFTWARE fix POC....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:54:05 AM by Modded Matt »

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
Think this got blown way out of porportion,   SO as for the RGH vs Jtag

Can instsall XEX menu on both
Can use FSD on both
Can play emulators and roms on both
Can Play games from Hard drive on both
Modded lobbies on Jtag yes
Modded Lobbies on RGH  Unknown  due to i haven't done it on RGH or Jtag
Unlimited Hard drive space on both YES

Jtag difficult rating 4/5

Rgh diffifult Rating  7/5 due to takes longer to do.. and harder solder points easy to F up

Edit:all jtags boot the same...

RGH console boot times
Falcons usually and everytime 5 second boot times

Jaspers  mine boots 10seconds to 20 seconds

Slim Trinity boot times, From what i seen can be 5 seconds to 40 seconds and sometimes not at all!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:58:32 PM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »
yes, this is the info I have been looking for thanks rodent.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 01:46:45 PM »
your welcome... now we can clean up the thread

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 02:12:49 PM »
your welcome... now we can clean up the thread

I will look into that, there is very little I want to remove. this thread is to separate the myths from facts. and while yes the info you posted in reply #18 is exactly the info I am looking for, I still dont see what advantages RGH has above and beyond Jtag.

Besides this is one of the best debates AM has had all week, and I am still very interested.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 02:14:35 PM »
I cleaned up some , and left some of it.,.  didnt want to remove the good stuff  hahaha
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:18:04 PM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

Offline OMiNOuS 925

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 11:42:08 AM »
Thanks guys! Great thread. Pretty helpful, although, I'm brand new to modding and I need some solid guidance in which way to go - JTAG or RGH - any further discussion on this topic?  Discussion Title?

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 12:27:40 PM »
Thanks guys! Great thread. Pretty helpful, although, I'm brand new to modding and I need some solid guidance in which way to go - JTAG or RGH - any further discussion on this topic?  Discussion Title?

I am glad this was helpful being that the new RGH 2.0 there is some more difference

RGH is its best if the console dash is on 13599 to 14699 really no issues  RGHing a console

Rgh 2.0 is for dashboards 14717 and 14719 dashboards... DO NOT TRY TO RGH 2.0 on the 15572 dash till further updates considering the New Updated dash has came out.

Rgh you can use a cool runner Rev A,B or C ( you must read how to install each cool runner for its own purpose)

Rgh consoles such as jasper 16mb 256mb 512mb work great with the rev B and C Coolrunners dashboards 13599 to 14699

Rgh 2.0 you can also use a rev b or C but there are different wiring diagrams for this now they changed the way you wire the console to the cool runner. these are for the dashboards 14717 and 14719

this goes for slims and Phat model consoles  ... Make sure you read before installing the cool runenr or programming the cool runner for which dashboard you have before you start to RGH a console.

Phat consoles dashboards 7371 and Lower  can be updated after "JTAGGED"to 14719.  If i forogot anything I will answer more questions.

Hope i didnt forget anything.

edit: With a RGH console You need to use a cool runner chip that you have to program for the console your using... Xenon RGH consoles take along time to boot and almost not worth to do at time . Zephry boards are unpredicable for RGH consoles.. Falcion Jaspers and Slim Trinity boards are good for the RGH(Rest Glitch Hack)

with newer updates coming out hopefully be will be able to succesfully RGH a corona board that is now in the slims.. I personally havent done one yet myself and havent seen any done yet personally.

As for the xenon board you would have to use RGH2.0 .
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:59:37 PM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Phantom

• Club AM VIP
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +11/-1
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 05:55:45 PM »
for RGH, dashboard version doesnt matter so much, basically all 360's with HDMI can be glitched, the only dashboard that cant be glitched is 15572

also excluding

Xenon
Corona
Zephyr with a CB version above 4579
Falcon and opus with a CB above 5771
Jasper with a CB above 6751

RGH is the way to go, TX Fusion can only be used on RGH consoles and its looks promising so far

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 07:12:32 PM »
for RGH, dashboard version doesnt matter so much, basically all 360's with HDMI can be glitched, the only dashboard that cant be glitched is 15572

also excluding

Xenon
Corona
Zephyr with a CB version above 4579
Falcon and opus with a CB above 5771
Jasper with a CB above 6751

RGH is the way to go, TX Fusion can only be used on RGH consoles and its looks promising so far
I have rghed a xenon couldnt get it too boot all the time but i had boot times under 1 minute .. with rev b cool runner enough to ge the dvd key and flashed it back with the orignal nand and was able to update after words next one i do i will take a video of it . I wish i would of done it the first time but i didnt know what to expect booted 3 times under 1 minute then took for ever to boot again got tired of waiting and flashed the orignal nand back and flashed the dvd drive and updated sold as a retail console.

Some good info there phantomz0.. But you need to catch up on your RGH Modding cause soon the Corona will be hacked.... and the updates with J-runner will take care of those boards... :D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:47:26 AM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 05:15:42 AM »

Not to be an ass again, but why?
if you have a xbox that can be jtagged, why would you preform a glitch? The RGH hack is just a glitch to get back to a JTAG state. If you can Jtag, why would you RGH?

this is like cutting off your real leg, because the doctor has a good prosthetic you can use. If you have a good leg in the first place, why?

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 05:56:32 AM »

Only due to that the Jtags are hard to find more and more but there out there.  being you can add the dev kit to a RGH .. makes it cool.

Not to be an ass again, but why?
if you have a xbox that can be jtagged, why would you preform a glitch? The RGH hack is just a glitch to get back to a JTAG state. If you can Jtag, why would you RGH?

this is like cutting off your real leg, because the doctor has a good prosthetic you can use. If you have a good leg in the first place, why?
Thats good point , WHY ?

point count:

jtag=2
rgh=1

Needs update...lol  jtag still way easier to do then the RGH..  even though i can do one in about 40 minutes for each.. still RGH takes longer and harder solder points easier to bridge and taking a bigger chance of trashing the mobo... You can't tell me any different I have seen some really bad solder jobs on consoles I repaired that i have bought where people tried to rgh themselves.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:09:53 AM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Phantom

• Club AM VIP
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +11/-1
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 06:18:55 AM »
if you have a jtagable console then go for it, but the majority of people dont have a console that is pre nxe, and they will only get harder to find.

you can easily find a console to RGH, you cant JTAG a slim, JTAG is missing out on Fusion

in the end, if you have a Jtagable console, you should Jtag it. if you dont have a Jtagable console, the only way your going to get it running unsigned code is RGH. :winker:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:20:11 AM by phantomz0 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal