Author Topic: Soldering 0603 leds to wire  (Read 10631 times)

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
Soldering 0603 leds to wire
« on: January 30, 2009, 07:33:49 PM »
Soldering 0603 leds to wire

Introduction
many people strugle with this task, here is a tutorial on how to do it.

Parts Needed
  • 0603 led
  • 30awg knyar wire
  • solder
  • flux paste

Tools Needed
  • soldering iron
  • match stick

Difficulty rating: 3/5

Average Time to Complete: i.e 0-5mins

Notes:
just take your time these things are tiny and you loose em so easyily.

Step By Step Tutorial
1- First you will need some 30 Gauge kynar wire. I use two different colors (red for positive blue for negative). You will thank me later when you go to wire it up and don't have to ask "which was positive?".

2- Tie a knot on the end of the two wires. The reason we do this is so when we go to solder it we can hit both leads at the same time. When you're trying to solder two leads this close together without a knot, you will lose one lead when you try to solder the other and it will soon become a big mess.

3- Now strip the ends close to the knot. You can get a stripping tool from Radio Shack for about $5. Trim the leads so about 1/16 of the inner wire is showing.

4- You want to put solder on the tip of the iron never add solder while soldering.

5- Once the tip of the iron is loaded with solder you're ready to get to work.

6- Place rosin flux on the end of your wires where you want to attach the LED.

7- Prime your wire by placing it on the tip of your iron. What is happening is the rosin flux is pulling solder onto the wires. Once this it done take a wet rag and clean the solder off the tip of the iron. All the solder you need is now on the wire tips.

8- See how freakin small that led is?

9- Take a match and dip the end in rosin flux. Pick up the LED with the rosin flux on the matchstick (look mom no hands). If you don't do this you will be fumbling for that led for hours.

10- Now line up the LED with the wires under the solder iron (when I solder I never pick up the iron - my hands shake so bad I cant hold the iron still). Now with a quick motion touch the LED and the wires to the iron tip.

11- there you have it. Test your LED. It should come on.

FAQ/ Troubleshooting
  • you burn out your led
  • you loose the led
  • you solder the red wire to negitive

this tutorial was not writen by me. I just modifyed it and fixed it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 10:37:16 AM by laxboy »
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal