Author Topic: Guitar Hero Self Playing Guitar POC  (Read 19332 times)

Offline SYSTEM aka (Cyberpyrot)

• Site Founder
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +3/-0
Guitar Hero Self Playing Guitar POC
« on: December 19, 2007, 06:43:06 PM »
A while back I promised a Guitar Hero Self Playing Guitar so I went about creating an optical array that could read data from a PC and translate that into button input on a guitar hero guitar. Now I could of went all out and used a USB Dev kit but there is a few reasons I went this route for one this is a low cost project Dev kits would of put this out of range for most people. I wanted this mod to be low tech easy enough for anyone to accomplish.

Here is the guitar I used it has an LCD originally I wanted to use the optics on this LCD but was forced to use them on the PC do to there being to much "Light Noise" for the optics and it would cause it to receive false data. I may revise this later with a PIC to measure the resistance of each color.

For this I had to create a windows application to send the data to the optical array that application can be found here

https://www.acidmods.com/AcidMods-OAC1.rar

https://www.acidmods.com/AcidMods-OAC2.rar

https://www.acidmods.com/AcidMods-OAC3.rar

https://www.acidmods.com/AcidMods-OAC4.rar

https://www.acidmods.com/AcidMods-OAC5.rar

I made several version with diffren spacing for the optical array so choose the one that best suits your needs.

Here is how the application works..

notice the optics flashing when recieving data from the pc monitor. Her is the proof of concept video of the guitar working by itself I will make a better video later of a full song im just getting used to how it all works there are many factors to adjust for like tempo, button length all can be adjusted with the application..

Ok here is how it all works the optical array is made up of 6 light to voltage sensors 6 LED's (purely for visual satisfaction) an USB Cable to supply the 5 volts and 6 reed relays. The USB cable supplies 5v to the light to voltage sensors. When the PC monitor flashes a sequence to the Light To Voltage Sensor depending on the intensity of the light it will output voltage to the LED and Reed Relay (Some monitors you may have to adjust the brightness for the sensor to out put the required 3v to drive the coil in the Reed Relay). Now when the LED and the Reed Relay receives Voltage the LED illuminates (The Led server no real purpose other then letting you know the system is working) and the Reed Relays Coil get current causing a magnetic field to close a Reed switch which in turn closes the circuit to which ever button the Reed switch is attached to. So that’s how the hardware works. The soft ware basic as it is works like this there are 5 programmable note bars you can program songs with tempo speed and button length. Once a song is fully programmed you can save that song or send it to the guitar at the appropriate time. Entering the song is very tedious and I hope to automate this in the future

Here is the parts list most can be found at mouser.

http://www.mouser.com

1:  6 X 856-TSL12S-LF  TAOS   Light to Voltage

2:  1 X USB Cable

3:  6 X 816-9007-05-00  Spartan SIP Relay

4:  6 X 859-LTL-4232 Standard LED Green Transparent

5:  Project Box

6: Loads of Wire 22 Awg

You will need to create 6 light to voltage circuits in an array for the guitar one for each of the five notes and one for the strummer. Here is the layout of the circuit I will draw a visual representation as well as a technical spec.

Visual Representation:

Actual Circuit:

I will make detailed picture for building the array soon.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 06:56:29 AM by Cyberpyrot »

Offline Skullmaster

• God Of Cars
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Admin Force, Co-Owner Wanna-be
    • Acidmods
Re: Guitar Hero Self Playing Guitar POC
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 06:48:10 PM »
Looks nice! Will this be able to work for any guitar hero for like 360?

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 06:52:29 PM »

I will post the blue prints and parts for buid tomorow.

Please, and I am begging you, DO NOT RELEASE THE PLANS

It will seriously piss people off (like me) who try hard to get to the top of the leader boards when people are perfecting the hardest songs with it...

• Site Founder
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 06:57:28 PM »
Please, and I am begging you, DO NOT RELEASE THE PLANS

It will seriously piss people off (like me) who try hard to get to the top of the leader boards when people are perfecting the hardest songs with it...

dont worry reaper people wont want to make this.

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 06:58:55 PM »
so then why release the plans, and all it would take is 1 person to make it to screw over the top 10

• Site Founder
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 07:09:05 PM »
so then why release the plans, and all it would take is 1 person to make it to screw over the top 10

1: If we don't release it some one else will do it eventualy.

2: Programming the song takes forever here is 30 seconds of song code that is a comma separated delema file.

????¦???????????????¦???????¦???????¦???????????????¦???????¦????????????????¦????????????????????????????¦
??????????????????????¦???????????????¦???????¦???????¦???????????????¦???????¦????????????????¦???????????
????????????????????¦?$???????????++++???????????¦???¦????????????++++???????????¦???¦????????+++++???+
+++++?¦?¦?¦¦¦???????+++++???++++++?¦?¦?¦?¦?¦????????????++++???????????¦???¦????????????+++??????????
??¦???¦????????+++++???++++++?¦?¦?¦?¦??¦???????+++++???$¦???????¦???????¦???????¦???????¦???????¦??????
?¦???????¦???????++++?¦???????????????????????++++?¦??????????????????????????¦???????¦???????¦???????¦???
????¦???????¦???????¦???????¦???????++++?¦????????????????????????¦?
++++?????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????$???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????

3: We are AcidMods this is what we do. People won't take this seriously...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 04:03:14 AM by Cyberpyrot »

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 07:30:12 PM »
you could use the optical sensors to write the code...

Offline l0rdnic0

• 2%
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +8/-0
  • TeamCYBER

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 07:58:52 PM »
This should be good..

L0rdNiC0 Pioneering Mods on the PSP Slim :taunt:
Sound Mod, Button LED Mod, Security Mod, Dual NUB, Mode Select Switch + More

Offline FreeK

• a-LeeK
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Team CYBER for life
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 08:31:28 PM »
This should be good..

Yes, this is going to be very interesting

Offline pickledorange

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 04:42:46 PM »
hey Cyberpyrot just posting to say im absolutely amazed with your self playing guitar.

i found it on another site and tracked you down to here as i have a little project of my own im needing help with. what im trying to do is something along these lines

http://toolmonger.com/2006/12/05/how-to-build-your-own-custom-full-sized-wireless-guitar-hero-controller/

but for an xbox 360, ive just taken appart the les paul guitar and i think im going to have a problem with space. remembering your project i know you have a magnetic switch and magnetic pic and was wondering if you could give a little detail about them. as in what sort of thing i could get how they work etc.

where did you get yours do you have a link i could have? i was also wondering if it turns out i cant get anything suitable/cheap enough over here in the uk what is the likelyhood of me sending you money via paypal and you posting me somethig that would do the job :D

i eagerly await your reply from one newbie modder to an expert.

i would have posted in the 360 forums but i figured it was pretty on topic here :)

• Site Founder
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 04:50:01 PM »
hey Cyberpyrot just posting to say im absolutely amazed with your self playing guitar.

i found it on another site and tracked you down to here as i have a little project of my own im needing help with. what im trying to do is something along these lines

http://toolmonger.com/2006/12/05/how-to-build-your-own-custom-full-sized-wireless-guitar-hero-controller/

but for an xbox 360, ive just taken appart the les paul guitar and i think im going to have a problem with space. remembering your project i know you have a magnetic switch and magnetic pic and was wondering if you could give a little detail about them. as in what sort of thing i could get how they work etc.

where did you get yours do you have a link i could have? i was also wondering if it turns out i cant get anything suitable/cheap enough over here in the uk what is the likelyhood of me sending you money via paypal and you posting me somethig that would do the job :D

i eagerly await your reply from one newbie modder to an expert.

i would have posted in the 360 forums but i figured it was pretty on topic here :)

http://www.cotorelay.com/RI-23.pdf <------ info on reed switch give me a few minutes I will explain all after I eat:D

Offline pickledorange

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 05:18:47 PM »
awesome thanks sounds like exactly what i need, pretty cheap and serves its purpose, im just thinking using a magnet to close the reed, that is exactly the same as pressing a button right? and do you think i would need 2 being that there is an up and a down to the strummer or would 1 surfice?

which of these do you think would be most suitable (if any)
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+500001+1003470&Ntk=gensearch_003&Ntt=reed+switch&Ntx=

and where could i get a suitable magnet?

sorry for all the questions but i get over excited and have to get them out before i forget them :D

• Site Founder
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 05:24:30 PM »
awesome thanks sounds like exactly what i need, pretty cheap and serves its purpose, im just thinking using a magnet to close the reed, that is exactly the same as pressing a button right? and do you think i would need 2 being that there is an up and a down to the strummer or would 1 surfice?

which of these do you think would be most suitable (if any)
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+500001+1003470&Ntk=gensearch_003&Ntt=reed+switch&Ntx=

and where could i get a suitable magnet?

sorry for all the questions but i get over excited and have to get them out before i forget them :D

only one is needed.. most rare earth magnets will work fine.

Offline pickledorange

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 05:32:30 PM »
so would this one do the job ok?

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=SW02765

and again what bout magnets?

rare earth does that translate to pretty much any magnet?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 05:35:15 PM by pickledorange »

Offline Cyberpyrot.

• Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 05:09:32 AM »
so would this one do the job ok?

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=SW02765

and again what bout magnets?

rare earth does that translate to pretty much any magnet?

yes that reed switch is ok and you can find magnet in som old speakers just chip a peice off and start stummin

AcidMods leaders in modding technology!!

Offline Skullmaster

• God Of Cars
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Admin Force, Co-Owner Wanna-be
    • Acidmods
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 12:20:12 PM »
so this isnt very pratical then cause youd have to know where all the notes are right?

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 05:24:01 PM »
ahahahahah time to rise to the top of the charts playing the exact same song everytime...... jk.
In the newspaper tommorow local man raises to top of charts in guitar hero with 1000 consecutive wins. and 102% on through the fire and flames.

Ken i wouldnt have done it any other way
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=15400.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal