General ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • No Foul Language. No Mod-Off entrant Talk. No Spamming. Just good ol' General Chit Chat. For Modding Help Make A Post.
  • Gizmo613: nope
    November 17, 2017, 05:05:17 AM
  • toadzilla: anyone see those see though controllers from sony
    November 16, 2017, 08:46:19 PM
  • Demonboy: nvm... realized after playing with it what it does
    November 15, 2017, 11:40:49 AM
  • Demonboy: @rodent do you happen to know what this little black component on a falcon mobo is? its behind the eject button and is labeled SW2G3
    November 15, 2017, 11:38:32 AM
  • Gizmo613: seems to be a database error, Admins are probably working on it as we speak.
    November 14, 2017, 04:55:12 AM
  • Stella: Hi,  just signed up and cant access anything whilst logged in.   pwease help :)
    November 13, 2017, 04:52:18 PM
  • Demonboy: i noticed that too rodent
    November 13, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
  • Rodent: damn spammers  and site needs to be updated for me to remove there post keeps giving me a error  have banned all bots or spammers
    November 13, 2017, 01:52:04 PM
  • Gizmo613: played some COD:WWII on the ps4 and it feels like COD has returned to its normal self. Im talking about before the wall walking and 10x air jumps. lol
    November 06, 2017, 05:23:56 AM
  • Rodent: Send SethMods a private pm
    October 27, 2017, 03:55:23 PM
  • Zath: Does anyone have a way of getting ahold of SethMods?
    October 27, 2017, 07:26:48 AM
  • Modded Matt: its a database corruption issue from when we changed servers last time. There is something triggering it, but my nor the techs can track the source. It takes me about 2 mins to fix. May happen twice this week and then not again for three months. Its aggravating. I will set Toad up with server access as I will be dark for a month after this weekend. Moving to a new house and the fiber optic network will not be complete until December.
    October 24, 2017, 12:18:21 PM
  • Demonboy: i had that happen the other day... i had to reload my browser
    October 21, 2017, 10:34:55 AM
  • savage24x: I can view them when not logged into my account.... weird
    October 21, 2017, 10:23:45 AM
  • savage24x: Guess not... can't even view welcome forums
    October 21, 2017, 10:21:57 AM
  • savage24x: Everytime I try to view my thread, it says "Database Error". Do I need a minimum amount of posts to get back to the post I made a few days ago?
    October 21, 2017, 10:21:34 AM
  • toadzilla: hmmm
    October 20, 2017, 10:55:22 PM
  • Demonboy: and the little bit of info there is, is from ben heck using machines to make everything
    October 20, 2017, 10:05:40 AM
  • Demonboy: toad i am working on 2 builds right now with the ps4 and the ps4 slim as laptops and writing a full tutorial on how to make them.... i think its messed up that they are selling for 1500$ when u can make them urself and there is no info out there on how to do it
    October 20, 2017, 10:05:18 AM
  • toadzilla: we need to get some projects rolling with the new consoles i mean im not much of a physical modder but im willing to pitch in a few bucks to get a project started with one of the new gen consoles
    October 18, 2017, 09:57:12 PM
  • RyanF: I already messaged you about it Matt, but if it helps I do have a server here at Purdue and a set of static IPs that can be used to host stuff
    October 18, 2017, 03:35:06 AM
  • Rodent: add link to site so members can help out
    October 17, 2017, 03:16:44 PM
  • Rodent: make a donation link
    October 17, 2017, 03:15:38 PM
  • Anonamous: Matt, before the three months is up shoot me a message and I will see if there is something I can do.
    October 16, 2017, 07:39:12 AM
  • Anonamous: If I wasn't in school I would definitely help. It's just not possible when I don't have a source of income.
    October 16, 2017, 07:36:31 AM

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Retro console modding / Re: Dreamcast Overclock Plus VMU overclock.
« Last post by Gizmo613 on November 17, 2017, 07:25:14 AM »
Yes, 40mhz crystal. I won't add a switch since most of the games I play run fine with the overclock. Only some games will run faster due to the increased speed is done by overclocking. Some games actually are hardcoded to run at a certain speed and with the overclock increase, those games will run at an increased rate as well.(Like watching a movie with the fast-forward button stuck.) Not sure if I'm explaining that properly.

Played all 3 games I mentioned and it all saved and load just fine. I have a VGA cable that I purchased from eBay for about $12 or $11. Works great but on my 46" Samsung there is an annoying hum when playing TXR2. Told the seller and he refunded me the total purchase. The VGA cable has an L/R stereo output. You might need an adapter to convert it to a 3.5mm headphone jack as that's what my tv allows for a VGA connection.
The game looks ABSOLUTELY amazing on VGA with widescreen enable plus Overclocked! Cars look more defined. I have never seen a sexier Honda CRX.

Next Mod, HDMI!!!!!! I hope it will work though as no one seem to have built or confirmed if it works. At least for the one that RDC designed.  :winker:

BTW: I modded the orange led to Green, and I was nearly blinded since I ran the Dreamcast without the top half cover, lol.
Retro console modding / Re: Dreamcast Overclock Plus VMU overclock.
« Last post by Brian 503 on November 17, 2017, 07:09:06 AM »
Nice write up! So if memory serves me correct the dreamcast overclock is done with a 40mhz crystal oscillator correct? I did this once but I lifted the pin to overclock with switch to flip back and fourth to overclock to stock. I tried reading up on the vmu overclock for saves but never got that far. I like the method u found for wiring the oscillator to the dreamcast board! So u do have success with saves when overclocked now?

Also curious do you run your dreamcast with standard rgb cables, S cart or vga?  I did the vga internal mod but now with external vga boxes on the market I find those much easier. The only thing I don't like about the vga boxes is the sterio port. Gives out poor volume and only runs off of one speaker (No L/R). Anyways looks awesome. Might have to blow the dust off the dreamcast and go on ebay and get Tokyo stream racer 1 and 2. That game was sooooo  sick.
Retro console modding / Dreamcast Overclock Plus VMU overclock.
« Last post by Gizmo613 on November 17, 2017, 06:12:56 AM »
Hey guys, I'm back without another one of my Dreamcast mods.  This time it is an overclock of the Dreamcast system and the VMU to match. VMU needs to be overclocked to match the Dreamcast new speed. Otherwise corrupt game saves will be encountered. Recommend you back up your game saves first before attempting this.

Note: I am not responsible, nor Acidmods, for any damages you do to your Dreamcast or yourself should you follow this guide I had set up.

Dissembling the Dreamcast is very easy so I won't upload any pictures of that. Basically, remove the screws on the bottom and remove the top half cover. Then unscrew power supply, GD-Rom lens, and controller port. Followed by the heatsink/metal shield. Voila! Easy peasy.

Dreamcast VA2 Motherboard:

Pin 1 = NC(no connection)
Pin 2 = GND
Pin 3 = Output to Dreamcast points A or B
Pin 4 = VCC

The area is just below the power supply pins. The oscillator frequency is 40MHz. Also, there is a jumper resistor labeled at R331 that connects the PLL chip to the Dreamcast SH4 chip. Remove this jumper resistor, otherwise, you can do it the hard way and try to lift the legs of the PLL chip. I find removing the jumper is easier and if I wanted to go back to stock, then I would just solder the 2 points together with a solder bridge or lead wire.

Once finished, the Dreamcast will now run at 240MHz vs the stock 200MHz. For me, I noticed a difference when playing 3 games. Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2, Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2.

TXR 2 is known to lag/stutter when a race is about to start or when the replay is being viewed. This is especially the case with backups and rips. The original disc has some stuttering as well but not as much. I have both the original disc and a ripped copy and the ripped version plays flawlessly. I have no doubt that the original will also play without stuttering.

A few Grandia 2 rips also stutter consistently as well. I have Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs and I burn at various speeds and all rips stutter and skips at the same position. But with the overclock, all the rips runs very smooth! My original disc is being delivered today so I will be playing it this weekend.   :tup:

And then there was Skies..... Well if you played this on the Dreamcast then you should know what happens, LMAO. I'll keep it short and say the above results will be the same here.

And now the VMU overclock:
Remove old crystal first

New Crystal

Remove the battery cover and batteries by removing the screw on the back of the VMU.
Then remove the 4 screws in the corners.
Carefully separate the back cover as the speaker is glued to it and the wires are soldered to the PCB.
Remove the 6MHz crystal and replace with the new crystal.
I used an 8MHz crystal from Mouser. Will link to it if it is allowed. Minimum value needed is 7.2Mhz if you are overclocking the Dreamcast to 240MHz. But the VMU can be used if it is overclocked a bit higher than the Dreamcast.

That's it! Enjoy!  :drunk:

Edit:

These Dreamcast Revision are running stable @240mhz
Dreamcast VA0
Dreamcast VA1
Dreamcast VA2 (Before November 2000 manufacture date And some November 2000 dated VA2 board) (Mine is a October 2000 revision)

This one is not so stable
Dreamcast VA2 (After November 2000 date - Not stable try a lower frequency- Don't have one to try though so I can
t confirm)
The D-pad on the XB1 controller already has tactile type switches.

The others can be done the same as the GC controller really. Just pick some that fit best, wire them up (controller is common ground for those buttons and the 1537, the first model, points are shown here - http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,43204.0.html) You may need to hack on the buttons and/or shell a bit for clearances depending on the Tacts you choose, but nothing real special needs done versus how it went on the GC controller.
I want to replace the rubber domes with tactile switches, I would like to know if anyone has done this yet, and offer some insight.  I've done this mod to an old gamecube controller, but that was a long time ago and this controller is very different.

I have a first generation controller if that matters at all
Need pics of the damaged and surrounding area.

You can get those things used on eBay for $10 to $15 and just use the guts in your shell if you're that accustomed to it, and new they are $20 to $35.
Prep the Via that is just below/right of TP41, solder a short jumper wire to it and then follow that trace up and solder the other end of the wire to the bottom side of R29.
In trying to add scuf type buttons I have managed to lift the pad of the B button TP41.  Does anybody know if this is repairable?  :help:  I would be eternally grateful!
hi, i have a rock candy xbox360 control that the left trigger doesn't work and i wanted to see if i could bridge  it somewhere to make it work i've try everything but no luck, it used to work but then it kept of getting stuck on firingon black ops so i tried to replace and prob damage the trace and now it just doesn't work pls help
Default = Nothing changed.

SouthPaw = Left and Right swapped. Most common layout for left handed gamers. Sometimes L3/R3 are swapped also, depends on the gamer.

Legacy = Just the X-axis of Left and Right swapped.

Legacy-SouthPaw = Just the Y-axis of Left and Right are swapped.

You will not be able to swap the L3/R3 unless you cut those traces and wire the chip between them and the board, like how you have done with the stick Axis.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10