Author Topic: My Nintendo Switch Cooling Mod  (Read 3186 times)

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Designing Innovative Mods
    • SteelROMs
My Nintendo Switch Cooling Mod
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:36:13 PM »
I've been absent from here for a LONG time.  I kinda feel bad for leaving you guys like that.  I adulted.  **it happens. :psp:

But I'm back, for the most part, and I bring a gift.  My first Nintendo Switch mod.  Actually works, surprisingly well actually.  I didn't expect results like this.

You can check out the rest of my YouTube channel as well, if you're interested.

www.youtube.com/M1dn1ghtN1nj4

Yes, I now go by M1dn1ghtN1nj4.

And in case you're curious, YES, I DO still have my original Phat PSP that I did the home row button LED mod on, as well as my other mods.  It still works, running CFW, and all that good stuff.  I actually play God of War on it occasionally.  STILL FUN!

Here are the videos!

Part 1: The Basics

https://youtu.be/Hl1Eh03gKJY

Part 2: The Testing

https://youtu.be/so2nQvxW9Ws

Part 3: The Prototype

https://youtu.be/g5RcpGr6Xk0
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:39:20 PM by thearkman2009 »

Offline Brian 503

• Acidmods Alumni
  • ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: My Nintendo Switch Cooling Mod
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 12:09:37 AM »
Nice work. 10° is a really good improvement! I know it doesent sound like a lot but think about when your outside and compare 70° to 80° and it's a big difference. Looking forward to seeing the 3d printed version. I'd like to add a sugestion to the design that might not be a big deal but might help out a little. The top where the exhaust comes out, your mouch up is at a 90 degree bend which may case deflection to the the air traffic coming up and out. What if u added a roll like 1/8 in or ever a 1/4 in roll where your design rest on the back side of switch exhaust port. That should make the air stream line out instead of making a rolling vortex were the upcoming air hits the roof then deflects outward.

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 07:44:11 AM »
The air gets pulled IN from the top, not pushed out.  But the same idea works.  Round the inlet on the top to smoothen airflow in.  I could actually do that to the part over the 3 vent holes as well, directing more air in.  AND s little part below, like a ramp, leading up to those vents.

Ohhhh, nice suggestion!  I just had some great ideas.

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
  • something something Tech support
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 10:28:20 PM »
Hey Thearkman2009 welcome back. quite the unique and simple mod and glad to see some life brought to the switch sub. Looking forward to what ever you have in mind in the future for the switch

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 10:55:23 PM »
Thanks!  I might still do some PSP stuff, but I need to get some things together, and see where I stand on it.

I might also have an "arcade" or "cabinet" type of setup kit, that is Switch specific.  May or may not sell that, I have to look into how much effort it's going to be.  I know people love doing the DIY stuff, so I might not sell it.  Still thinking.

I'm going tomorrow to have a 3D printed prototype made of the Switch cooling mod.  I'll have to go back and read all the BST rules, but in general, am I allowed to sell them here, or would I be better to make an eBay or Etsy listing, and just link people to the sale page from the BST section?  It's been so long, I honestly don't remember.  lol

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 07:56:10 PM »
Got the 3D printed prototype made, and a new video about how it looks, functions, and installs.  Uploading the video now.  Will be a couple hours.  Slow connection at home.

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
    • SteelROMs
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 10:39:47 PM »
Check the OP for Part 3.  The 3D Printed prototype is 99.9% complete.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal