Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Pro Controller - regulated & switched voltage source?  (Read 837 times)

Offline Greendaycolt

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Hi all,

I’m trying to install some LEDs in my switch pro controller and am looking for a regulated (~3V) and switched (with controller on/off) power source. I’ve found a few regulated but not switched sources, having issues finding one that is switched.

Any advice is appreciated.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Nintendo Switch Pro Controller - regulated & switched voltage source?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 07:16:23 PM »
Haven't gone poking around in there yet, but I can't imagine the voltage the sticks use is on all the time?
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Greendaycolt

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 05:08:29 PM »
Correct! But I am only getting 1.8V there, I need at least 3V for the LEDs I want to add.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 06:15:19 PM »
Use the switched 1.8v to turn an NPN Transistor or N Channel FET on/off to turn the Cathode side of your LEDs on/off. Wire the Anode side of the LEDs to any source in there high enough to drive the LEDs, with the correct current limiting Resistors on them first.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Greendaycolt

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 08:10:31 PM »
Got it, great idea. I don’t have the NPNs on hand but I searched around for other power sources, found 4.2V in the center of the board in the red circle. I soldered an LED with current limiting resistor to it and it worked perfectly (obviously not switched without the NPN though. But now, the controller only works when plugged in via USB. No power on battery, even though the battery is fully charged. Is it possible I broke something here, or maybe just making a silly mistake putting the controller back together?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 08:15:29 PM »
What red circle?

That 4.2v sounds like it's the battery voltage though. Can't see what you did, so no real idea there yet.

Also, try to keep your LEDs setup to only draw 5mA or so, provided they will light up at that current or unless you just want them retina searing bright and a shorter run time of the controller.

Offline Greendaycolt

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 08:18:13 PM »
IMG-2757" border="0

Offline Greendaycolt

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 10:52:22 AM »
I just reproduced the issue - I don’t think it has anything to do with the LEDs or any modifications. When I remove the battery and then reinsert it, controller won’t turn on wirelessly or charge unless I leave it alone with battery in for a few hours... Any idea why that would happen?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 12:36:36 PM »
Does it need to be plugged into the Switch and synced over USB when it's new? Pulling the battery could be wiping it clean, so to speak. Every now and then a 360 controller would get 'stupid' and you'd have to just plug it up with the PnC cable to the console and that would force sync it, then it would be fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal