Author Topic: Xb1 1708 controller battery drain after thumbstick replacement  (Read 435 times)

Offline mecedes

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Xb1 1708 controller battery drain after thumbstick replacement
« on: February 24, 2020, 02:23:13 PM »
Hi, I had RH joystick drift so replaced the thumbstick with a genuine ALPS part, although these sensors are black and the original was green. At first the stick was stuck in the NW position, I then found that the trace must have damaged for the AN+ connection on the X and Y sensors so I made a bridge between  + on RSY and + on LSY. Everything is working good now but I am experiencing high battery drain now where batteries that are 50% worn show full and when they are 25% the controller turns off without warning but those batteries still work in other controllers. Is it possible that something is shorted and causing the high drain?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Xb1 1708 controller battery drain after thumbstick replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 02:06:08 AM »
If it was actually draining the batteries they would measure the same in another controller. Sounds more like something is screwy with the way it's monitoring the battery voltage.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 02:47:08 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline mecedes

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Xb1 1708 controller battery drain after thumbstick replacement
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 07:23:33 PM »
Thanks, I bench tested it again this time with a USB cable and measured all of the voltages at the pots and everything was perfect. After I reassembled it and connected it to the console via wireless it seemed to read the voltages correctly. Fingers crossed that it just needed to somehow reset. Thanks for your help. I stumbled across this site after I had already firstly fitted a cheap eBay thumbstick without knowing the difference which was far too sensitive and the information here saved me buying a new controller. Much appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal