Author Topic: Traces for left joystick on Slim controller?  (Read 3270 times)

Offline savage24x

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Traces for left joystick on Slim controller?
« on: October 16, 2017, 06:44:16 PM »
Are there any alternate solder points or traces I can solder a new joystick to? Completely destroyed the pads while desoldering. Iron was way too hot.

Offline savage24x

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Traces for left joystick on Slim controller?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 06:45:05 PM »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:32:58 AM »
Take a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean that up first, then follow the traces back to the first via you come to, then prep and use that via with a small jumper wire and 'rebuild' the trace. That's far from the worst that I've seen and can be fixed for sure.

There are scans on the forums here of the different controller versions also, so you can see where the traces originally were. I can't say the repair will go smoothly, as prepping and soldering to a via is a bit harder than an existing solder joint, but take it slow and keep your soldering iron tip clean and tinned. Being 'too hot' really has about jack all to do with it, besides shorting the life of the tip, it's the time you're keeping it on the solder joint that lets the pads get so hot they delaminate from the board.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline bojanul

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 11:48:58 AM »
Take a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean that up first, then follow the traces back to the first via you come to, then prep and use that via with a small jumper wire and 'rebuild' the trace. That's far from the worst that I've seen and can be fixed for sure.

There are scans on the forums here of the different controller versions also, so you can see where the traces originally were. I can't say the repair will go smoothly, as prepping and soldering to a via is a bit harder than an existing solder joint, but take it slow and keep your soldering iron tip clean and tinned. Being 'too hot' really has about jack all to do with it, besides shorting the life of the tip, it's the time you're keeping it on the solder joint that lets the pads get so hot they delaminate from the board.

I'm in the exact same situation,I used a soldering gun and destroyed all of the solder pads.
I don't really know anything about pcbs can you please point to me what points i need to connect with wires?
A picture like this would help me understand better: https://i.imgur.com/aetakti.jpg

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 11:56:42 AM »
You need to post a pic, a good pic, of your board first. No one is going to be able to tell you what needs to go where if they can't see what's been damaged.

You're also not going to be able to repair it with a soldering gun, but likely cause far more damage as repairing it means soldering to much more delicate spots.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal