Author Topic: NO BATTERY POWER POSSIBLE FIX? MODEL 1537  (Read 4575 times)

Offline biblebeltbandit

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
NO BATTERY POWER POSSIBLE FIX? MODEL 1537
« on: August 31, 2017, 05:08:43 AM »
I have a model 1537 controller that works fine when plugged in but will not power on with batteries. I have some experience in soldering/desoldering and I have a pretty steady hand, I'm just not sure where to start looking for the problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: NO BATTERY POWER POSSIBLE FIX? MODEL 1537
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 03:12:42 AM »
Is it dead on both types of batteries? The rechargeable pack as well as a set of new AA?
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Nw-controllers

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 07:23:35 AM »
I have the same problem, worked fine before putting a rapid fire chip on it, now it won't power on with batteries ? Only when plugged in any ideas anyone ?

Offline jdrs89

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 09:17:02 PM »
Not sure if you guys are still having this issue but if you have no power at all desolder c33 I had 5 different controllers do this they all had the same issue.

Offline irvgotti452

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Weird Issues User
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 03:43:16 AM »
Having the same issue on one of my controllers. I don't see removing the cap is totally safe (it's there for a reason). Anybody know the the value of the cap to replace it?

My controller won't turn on with the batteries but as soon as you insert the USB cable it will turn on, remove it and it will stay on with the batteries.
100% ready to learn.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 03:59:25 AM »
No power at all and powers from USB but not batteries aren't the same issue. If a bad cap kept it from powering up on batteries it would most likely also keep it from running from the USB cable.

For no power from the battery packs, but works from the USB, check and see if L1 has been knocked off the board.

There are enough decoupling caps on there that losing one here or there isn't going to hurt anything.

You'll need to do some poking around in there to track that powers from USB then runs from batteries issue down, as that seems a bit odd.

Does the Guide button work when powered from USB?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:05:59 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline irvgotti452

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Weird Issues User
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 09:36:02 AM »
No power at all and powers from USB but not batteries aren't the same issue. If a bad cap kept it from powering up on batteries it would most likely also keep it from running from the USB cable.

For no power from the battery packs, but works from the USB, check and see if L1 has been knocked off the board.

There are enough decoupling caps on there that losing one here or there isn't going to hurt anything.

You'll need to do some poking around in there to track that powers from USB then runs from batteries issue down, as that seems a bit odd.

Does the Guide button work when powered from USB?

Odd indeed lol.
Yes the guide button does work when powered from usb and when usb is removed and batteries take over like in the example above. (I'm just using batteries not a battery pack)
100% ready to learn.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 10:59:33 AM »
Well, you have a mess to check there as I haven't seen that exact problem before and am kind of puzzled as to what might be causing it to act that way.

If the Guide button works, then D27 should be good, though I'd check it anyway.

R24, R27 and R29 should all be 100k

R21 is 220k

R22 and R26 are 0ohm jumpers.

R23 is 10k

R25 is 25.5k

D25 and D26 Diodes.

Q6 and Q7 are both the same P channel FET, SSM3J328R

Q6 being open is about all that I can right now see being bad and causing that issue, as the USB power would turn on q7 and then the battery power would continue thru D22 instead of going thru Q6 like it's supposed to.

After checking the Resistor values, which may or may not measure correctly in circuit, and anything that does measure off from the above values should be pulled and checked, then I'd probably swap out both Q6 and Q7 from another board and see how it acted then.

Could be an issue with Q8 PNP or Q9 NPN also, and then that pretty much does it for everything in the power up, power good and passing battery voltage on to the controller circuit, so if none of that has an issue, then send me that thing, cause I'd be very interested in tracking that problem down.

Offline irvgotti452

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Weird Issues User
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 01:39:56 AM »
I've check everything on that list. Everything checks out lol. This is truly a head-scratcher.
Tried it with C30 off and C33 on. C33 off and C30 on. Both on and both off. Nothing.

No visible damage either:

Larger view: https://image.ibb.co/dpWY07/PHOTO_20180306_043028.jpg
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:42:09 AM by irvgotti452 »
100% ready to learn.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 03:39:50 AM »
No visible damage to the back side of the board anyway, but the top side has plenty of traces and components also. ;)

C30 and C33 are decoupling caps for the USB out and 3.3v rails, from U1 and U3 respectively, neither of which would cause the issue your board is having and why I made no mention of either of them.

Were Q6 and Q7 replaced?

Does this board show the same issue when used with another MCU board?

Offline irvgotti452

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Weird Issues User
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 09:23:17 PM »
I'll post a pic of the opposite side as well. Haven't been able to do further testing because I've been stuck at work.

When I get home ill swap out Q6 & 7 and try a different MCU board.
Anything else I should check out?
100% ready to learn.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 01:23:20 AM »
If the issue isn't with Q6, Q7, Q8, Q9 or any of the passive components I've already mentioned, also barring the MCU board causing it (though I can't see how) then we'll just to have to go there step by step to find the culprit.

Offline irvgotti452

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Weird Issues User
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 09:24:37 AM »

(Click on Pics for full size)
Pics of the other side of the board and a close up of the middle button.

Finally got some time to revisit this.

I've swapped out Q6, Q7, Q8 & Q9. Same behavior. I even swapped out out the metal contacts for the battery holder and PCB. Even tried 2 different MCU boards.
:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

It's definitely not the X button contacts because it responds instantly when testing. Totally lost lol.
100% ready to learn.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 09:53:24 AM »
Does X mean Guide button? Because there is an actual X button that should have nothing to do with that issue, though I'd still go over the X and A contacts with the Q-tip and alcohol as enough garbage building up between contacts can cause weird issues.

That thing has to have a broken or really iffy trace or Via somewhere.

Sent you a PM.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:54:35 AM by RDC »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 06:25:12 PM »
Alright, so this thing had a bad trace, that couldn't even really be seen with a PC microscope until the mask was removed.

This is right after the Guide button, and where it splits off to be both the Guide button signal (thru D27 to J2 pin 6) as well as the power on button signal (R24 to base of Q8) so that explains why the Guide button worked once the controller was on, but why it would not turn the thing on.

Offline irvgotti452

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Weird Issues User
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 07:17:40 PM »
Wow...mystery over. I combed over it with my bare eyes and I would never see that.  :laughing:
I'm actually finding a few 1537's with bad traces or corroded vias in similar fashion.
100% ready to learn.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal