Author Topic: How can i invert the X axis on my controller?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Quadpower

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
How can i invert the X axis on my controller?
« on: March 30, 2017, 05:52:34 PM »
Hello everyone!

The X axis on the controller is what makes you turn left and right.  I want to invert the X axis, so turning left makes you turn right, and turning right makes you turn left.  There is an invert option for the Y axis (looking up and down) on the controller remapping in Xbox One's menu, but there is no option for the X axis.

Is there a program I can use to accomplish this, a mod of some sort?  This would really help me out.  Thanks.

Is it possible to get banned if I do this?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: How can i invert the X axis on my controller?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:02:23 AM »
You can do it by taking the controller apart and doing some cutting and solderign, but, could very well end up with it being more of a pain than it used to be.

All you used to have to do is sever an then swap the 2 outside leads of the POT, and that's it, you're done. The Stick is now inverted. It's just a voltage divider and doing that just swaps the + and - to it is all.

The issue you will most likely run into though, is that the XB1 controllers are built, then calibrated. So if the POT is in there at just a little bit of an angle, thus it's center value is not exactly center, they offset that by calibrating it after it's made. It's different for every single controller, as well as every single axis in the controller. So if your controller has a POT that's not sitting close enough to dead center, when you swap the outside leads around you'll make that offset flip with it as well and could end up with a controller that 'drifts' in one direction or the other. That too can be corrected, but that's where it gets into the PITA part of it.

It can always be put right back how it was, or even a DPDT switch can be installed so you can swap back and forth between the Normal and Inverted layouts, provided you didn't have to do any adjustments for drifting, as then it gets to be even more of an issue and you really need to get a PIC and DAC in there to be able to have that kind of option sometimes.

You can try swapping them and see how it acts, not going to hurt a thing, unless you just tear the controller up or short something in the process, but it's not any kind of ban worthy thing at all, and should be an option added to their menu from day 1 there.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal