Author Topic: NES Classic Mod to allow emulation of all NES games/roms  (Read 68845 times)

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
NES Classic Mod to allow emulation of all NES games/roms
« on: January 31, 2017, 05:50:15 AM »

Using mod tools to tweak the files installed on the Classic’s built-in storage, users are able to more than double the number of games installed on the retro system. Now, the modding tools have gotten a big update and it’s now possible to installed a crazy huge number of games — as in, the entire North American retail library of over 700 titles.

The go-to tool for NES Classic hacking is called Hakchi, and while the original release and subsequent 2.0 update helped popularize Classic modding, the newly launched Hakchi 2.11 is so, so much more powerful. Developed by emulation guru Cluster from the GBATemp forums, the new version of the software creates a folder system on the Classic to support a much, much larger number of games than before and turning the system into a true emulation powerhouse.

What’s even more impressive, the new mod is capable of running games from within zipped files, which saves a lot of space and allows for even more titles to be packed onto the system’s relatively modest ~300MB storage capacity.

The early errors associated with Hakchi — including the software’s pesky habit of throwing false positives on PC virus scanning — have been ironed out. The vast majority of users report a relatively seamless uploading procedure and flawless emulation of the games they’ve uploaded. That said, there are always a few titles that don’t play well with emulators, and some notable games like Battletoads require additional tweaking. Thankfully, the emulation community is extremely active and you can stay updated on patches for problem games on the Hakchi thread.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
Re: NES Classic Mod to allow emulation of all NES games/roms
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:59:32 AM »
awesome  I been trying to get one of these for a while for a good price

Just picked up one will be modding it once it gets here 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:06:18 AM by Rodent »

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline Brian 503

• Acidmods Alumni
  • ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 05:21:15 AM »
I added 60 games no problem to my friends mini. 90 games total. Its pretty easy and painless to do. I like how u can Google the skins of the roms real easy as well. I still think a raspberry pie is a better retro alternative though.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 05:55:06 AM »
I added 60 games no problem to my friends mini. 90 games total. Its pretty easy and painless to do. I like how u can Google the skins of the roms real easy as well. I still think a raspberry pie is a better retro alternative though.

never used Raspberry pie 

i seen these on ebay with 600 + games installed  and sell for $300 and up..

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 07:03:56 AM »
LOL this is one of those retro things only the older guys will appreciate. I have JNES on my laptop and my cell phone with all the NES game roms ever produced. Let me know if you need the ROM folder, I will send the link via PM as its not technically legal, I dont want to post openly on the site.

Offline snowcolt17

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
  • If all else fails, reflow it
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 09:05:23 AM »
LOL this is one of those retro things only the older guys will appreciate. I have JNES on my laptop and my cell phone with all the NES game roms ever produced. Let me know if you need the ROM folder, I will send the link via PM as its not technically legal, I dont want to post openly on the site.

i only play mario xD

Offline Brian 503

• Acidmods Alumni
  • ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 05:19:38 PM »
I have a rom folder of every nes game produced. Let me know as well if anyone needs a rom folder.

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
  • something something Tech support
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 02:36:16 AM »
I wanna try doing this mod to my pi3 right now it has Kodi on it and I have no idea or paitence to get the correct resptories to use it as a cable replacer

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 01:19:03 PM »
Just got mine last night and just got done modding it  897 Games total  on my NES

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
Re: NES Classic Mod to allow emulation of all NES games/roms(update)
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 07:39:43 AM »
Gameboy, MegaDrive, SNES and More now playable on NES Mini, all thanks to MadMonkey, HaxChi2, and RetroArch!

If there was not a reason to look for the still hard to find NES (Mini) Classic Edition, now there is a reason, as RetroArch is working on the micro-console, giving you more than 30 old NES Games, infact you can now upload your ROMs for GameBoy, MegaDrive, SNES!

We have reported on before the progress of hacking the NES Mini, and the fact you can upload as many NES ROMs as you want, but now even better news, you are no longer stuck just playing old NES games, you can now enjoy things like SNES, Gameboy, MegaDrive.
So, if someone is still interested in RetroArch, I've made a new pack (and removed the previous one from my Google Drive). Now the game ID is a little more meaningful (CLV-H-RARCH), and all RetroArch files are in /games/[Game ID]/libretro instead of /games/[Game ID]/etc/libretro.

Also I've added .desktop_temp file in the "game" folder and few lines to the init script that remove automatically generated .desktop file and replace it with the temp one. This is basically a quick hack meant to bypass Haxchi2's .desktop generation.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByJabzdhjqvQdC1aZ19NTWgzY1k

You can download other cores directly from LibRetro's BuildBot

How to use this:
Extract archive contents to Haxchi2 folder, agree to replace init file
Copy additional cores to games/CLV-H-RARCH/libretro/core (not necessary)
Copy ROMs to games/CLV-H-RARCH/libretro/roms
Open Haxchi2, enable RetroArch
If you need folders, clone and build Haxchi2 from GitHub, then make sure to enable "Settings -> "Pages/folders structure" -> "Custom - show Folders Manager every time"
Synchronize. Make sure to move RetroArch to the root folder if you enabled custom folders in the previous step.
That's it.
As always, thanks to madmonkey for the RetroArch binary and Cluster for a very convenient Haxchi2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4_clJg_kA

Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_vKP0qttk0/center]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:54:36 AM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

Offline StevenFatry

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
acidmods.com