Author Topic: DS4 JDM-011 Mainboard Damage (scratches)  (Read 4462 times)

Offline pangster

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
DS4 JDM-011 Mainboard Damage (scratches)
« on: September 07, 2016, 04:48:24 PM »
I'm just looking for some advice on whether this mainboard has permanent damage or whether it can be repaired?:

It has scratching around the retaining screw mount - god knows that the individual tried to remove it with... his teeth at a quick guess.. just wondering whether anyone could confirm from the picture if there is likely to be any damage and if so whether it was terminal or if there was any options to repair?? - thanks!! :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:23:26 PM by pangster »

Offline snowcolt17

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
  • If all else fails, reflow it
Re: DS4 JDM-011 Mainboard Damage (scratches)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 07:03:23 PM »
dont know why it wouldnt be repairable. dont i havent did any kind of modding in a while.

i have did a few trace repairs though

Thanks to rdc for the scans. He could help you more. He will probably post soon.

but you can scrape the trace back and solder a wire to the places and bypass that the parts thats messed up. they sell a trace repair pen but i dont think they would work? but what do i know.

cant really tell if the top trace on goes? Rdc can tell you that, but by looks here is what i would do

the blue lines are supposed to be wires. i would see if the top one has a little piece of trace left up there if not you have to find where it goes and jump it from there.
the red lines are where i would try to use trace from to jump them. and i forgot. i dont know if it would effect anything but you might need to jump a wire between the 2 blue lines side by side if that makes since.

again RDC or someone with more knowledge can verify. hopefully you are better then me at soldering. i think thats your only option but i maybe wrong

Offline pangster

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 02:16:13 PM »
thanks for the reply!!

makes sense... looks fairly tricky though... I'm guessing it would be trying to make solid/good connections with something like 30 AWG wire across the various damaged tracks (prior to the damage)... the mainboard is practically toast anyway so I guess I could probably have a go at soldering it if I've written it off in any case... if I can't fix it then I'll just use it as a test rig! :)

Offline snowcolt17

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 05:39:17 PM »
thanks for the reply!!

makes sense... looks fairly tricky though... I'm guessing it would be trying to make solid/good connections with something like 30 AWG wire across the various damaged tracks (prior to the damage)... the mainboard is practically toast anyway so I guess I could probably have a go at soldering it if I've written it off in any case... if I can't fix it then I'll just use it as a test rig! :)

in theory yea. just jump the connections. ive did it a few times its not that bad. if i can you can.

i didnt know how good your sodlering skills were or if you could consider attempting it. but honestly its not that bad.

RDC has posted pics of the boards and you can use those as reference. :)

the trickiest part i think would be the top right honestly. it looks like the trace is completely gone from that part. you will have to find where it goes from there and jump it.

i borrowed this from RDC it was in his ps4 scans folder. but the concept is this. if anyone with sense, because i have no idea knows there they go, you could def get it fixed :)

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »
It only looks like the mask (the green coating) has been removed there. Can't be made out from that pic if there is any deeper damage. It's all ground right under the screw there, and the other trace that's been scrapped there seems fine also. Does the thing work?
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline snowcolt17

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 05:21:30 PM »
It only looks like the mask (the green coating) has been removed there. Can't be made out from that pic if there is any deeper damage. It's all ground right under the screw there, and the other trace that's been scrapped there seems fine also. Does the thing work?

thanks. i didnt know what they were for xD im glad you posted.

Offline pangster

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 05:42:49 PM »
thanks for all your replies!! - really appreciate it!!!...  :tup:

i've not tested it yet (I got two controllers in pretty bad shape as basically part bin items) - just trying to assess the damage and if they are worth trying to salvage.. at the minute i've not had much just other than quick once over visual...

although,  I'll get them powered up and hooked up to my Mac to run some tests to see how functional they are!... I've got to say - I wasn't holding out much hope for this one.. but if it passes the tests then I guess it's just a case of covering/masking the damage (possibly electrical tape) and rebuilding/refreshing with new parts..

thanks again!! - appreciate it! :)

Offline snowcolt17

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 01:04:14 AM »
thanks for all your replies!! - really appreciate it!!!...  :tup:

i've not tested it yet (I got two controllers in pretty bad shape as basically part bin items) - just trying to assess the damage and if they are worth trying to salvage.. at the minute i've not had much just other than quick once over visual...

although,  I'll get them powered up and hooked up to my Mac to run some tests to see how functional they are!... I've got to say - I wasn't holding out much hope for this one.. but if it passes the tests then I guess it's just a case of covering/masking the damage (possibly electrical tape) and rebuilding/refreshing with new parts..

thanks again!! - appreciate it! :)

hope you get it sorted out

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal