Author Topic: PS4 Dualshock 4 Retro Joystick Project  (Read 2448 times)

Offline John_Vella

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
PS4 Dualshock 4 Retro Joystick Project
« on: July 10, 2016, 09:10:19 AM »
Hi,

Before I start the request, I'll just get this out of the way and say that, yes, I know the warranty on my controller is now void, but that's fine.

I am trying to mod a Dualshock 4 controller. By that I mean gut it and put it all in a new retro-joystick style case. The reason I am doing this is that I haven't been able to find a controller that meets my needs, and building my own is not something that scares me.

I have disassembled the controller and, looking at the analog sticks, am concerned that they will not be sturdy enough, but that's fine as I am happy to replace them with sturdier units. The only problem is that I don't know the value of the potentiometers.

Yes, I know that I could simply de-solder the stick assemblies, which I'll have to do anyway, but I was hoping to get all of the electronics work done on the same day, so if anyone could let me know the value of the pots in the analog sticks on the Dualshock 4, you'd save me a fair bit of messing about and also make a friend for life!

Thanks in advance,

John.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:12:08 AM by John_Vella »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: PS4 Dualshock 4 Retro Joystick Project
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 03:46:14 PM »
They are 10k, but the actual value doesn't matter as they are used as voltage dividers. So put a 1k, or a 100k POT in there and it will still work exactly the same.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline John_Vella

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 01:19:55 PM »
Thanks for the information, much appreciated. That makes life a lot easier.

I'm assuming that I can just wire in the two pots from another joystick type controller, and not worry about the other connections on the original PS4 joystick connector if I only need the up/down left/right movement?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 01:38:19 PM »
Yep, though if any game needs L3 or R3 (when you press the sticks down) you'll want those wired up to something.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal