Author Topic: question about rerouting all the flex pcb buttons  (Read 2860 times)

Offline stratoside

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
question about rerouting all the flex pcb buttons
« on: July 06, 2016, 11:27:03 PM »
hello

I am currently trying to make an arcade controller by rerouting all the flex pcb buttons (d pad,  symbols,  ps button,  triggers) to arcade buttons

I plan on soldering directly to the hard pcb that the flex pcb connects to,  since I don't think I can solder on the flexible pcb itself

my main question is,  for the trigger buttons,  I have noticed that they have resistors on them and I was wondering if I could use 10k ohm resistors like this one : https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0185FGYQA/ref=ya_st_dp_summary

and my side question is,
for the L2 and R2, how do I mimic the sensitivity for the depression rate? im not sure how the trigger button is getting the analog signal 

Thank you

edit

i drew the diagram of what i meant

So the R2 and R1 are the arcade buttons (momentary switches)
and PCB is the PCB of the DS4
the box is the 10k ohm resistor
Black wire is the Ground
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:52:55 PM by stratoside »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: question about rerouting all the flex pcb buttons
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 02:24:41 AM »
Most of that is answered about 15 posts up from yours in the DS4 PCB Scans thread. ;)

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,43542.msg326641.html#msg326641

You're not going to be able to mimic the Analog (sensitivity) function of them with an Arcade button as it's more of a Digital device, it's only off or on, so all you'll get there is no Trigger pressed or full Trigger pressed. You would have to use a completely different kind of button to keep that Analog feature.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline stratoside

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 02:31:37 AM »
Most of that is answered about 15 posts up from yours in the DS4 PCB Scans thread. ;)

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,43542.msg326641.html#msg326641

You're not going to be able to mimic the Analog (sensitivity) function of them with an Arcade button as it's more of a Digital device, it's only off or on, so all you'll get there is no Trigger pressed or full Trigger pressed. You would have to use a completely different kind of button to keep that Analog feature.

thanks for answering again!
so if i were to wire it like the diagram that i've drawn, it would just be at full throttle every time i press the button?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 03:43:02 AM »
It wouldn't work the way you have it. You need the 2 Pull-Up Resistors installed in there, and when the button is pressed it will go full throttle.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline stratoside

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 04:37:15 AM »
It wouldn't work the way you have it. You need the 2 Pull-Up Resistors installed in there, and when the button is pressed it will go full throttle.

Thanks for the response again

i was trying to copy the circuit board itself

i thought that black band was the resistor and it looks like it is in parallel with the R2 +R1 ground

is this what you meant by putting 2 pull-up resistors?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 04:45:02 AM »
There is no reason to duplicate the circuit completely, as you're using a Digital button, so the Resistor that is the actual R2 is not needed.

Half of R1 is the 3.2v, not ground, so that Resistor is a Pull-Up for the R2 line.

The Pull-Ups are 7.5k, and how you need to install them and what buttons uses what for it's common is explained in the other thread.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 04:45:29 AM by RDC »

Offline stratoside

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 05:07:28 AM »
There is no reason to duplicate the circuit completely, as you're using a Digital button, so the Resistor that is the actual R2 is not needed.

Half of R1 is the 3.2v, not ground, so that Resistor is a Pull-Up for the R2 line.

The Pull-Ups are 7.5k, and how you need to install them and what buttons uses what for it's common is explained in the other thread.

was having a major brain fart reading the explanation on the other thread, too many 2R R2 L2 2L lol

this is what you meant right? sorry for keep asking, i'm new at this

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 05:15:43 AM »
Yes, that will do it, but it's 7.5k, which is 7,500 ohms, not 7.5ohms. You can use the 10k there instead of the 7.5k though.

R2 is the R2 button line, 2R is just the common for the R2 button line. The Triggers don't work like any of the other buttons.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:16:42 AM by RDC »

Offline stratoside

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 05:22:16 AM »
Yes, that will do it, but it's 7.5k, which is 7,500 ohms, not 7.5ohms. You can use the 10k there instead of the 7.5k though.

R2 is the R2 button line, 2R is just the common for the R2 button line. The Triggers don't work like any of the other buttons.

thanks for the help!
i've been trying to look up how the trigger buttons work for like a month lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal