Author Topic: CG2 won't turn on, only 2nd LED turned on when connected to Play And Charge Kit  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Oswdo

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
First, let me apologize for my english, i'm from México, i'll do my best.

Hi, have this controller (CG2 version, virgin, never modded, never repaired) that not only doesn't works on batteries, whenever i connect the Play And Charge Kit doesn't power up but the second LED from player number 2 turns on and remained on, the controller stays dead, i have checked for shorted components but im not really sure what to looking for, i will be glad if you point me in the right direction, maybe there is some voltage points i could check in the main IC or replace some components that happened to fail and give this scenario.

Tried to replace the eight pin chip on the back of the PCB, but only have in hand one from a Matrix 2 Wireless PCB, don't know if is compatible.

Feel free to ask for any pictures related of the control PCB or the traces, my soldering skills are good enought if i have to replace any component in the PCB board. Pictures ahead.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:26:54 AM by Modded Matt »

Offline Oswdo

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Have to do something with the size of the images  :confused:

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Generally the forum will auto size images to fit. WE are currently running an unmodified software that does not have the resize feature installed. We are working on it. for now when you post images in the BBCode, to start the image post instead of just using [img].... use [img width=1000] and it will size the pictures to 1000 I just pulled this number from the air.

Once we are done stress testing the server, these extra mods will be installed slowly to get the forum back up to full operating capacity.

Offline Oswdo

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Thanks Matt, i was referring to myself, i think i was doing something wrong, and technically i was.

Good luck with the server testing.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
U5 is just the security IC, the controller would still power on with it removed. Sounds like something has gone bad with the firmware on the MCU (U6) and there's really nothing you can do there but swap it with another one, and at that point it's really only worth doing just to see if that would fix it, as it's more work than what the thing is worth. I had an older wireless Matrix sent to me years ago that was just dead and it took a new MCU to bring it back.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Oswdo

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Nothing to do then, i remember that i repaired a couple of controllers that have a shorted component (one were a cap on a CG and the other i dont recall, i think it was a matrix because it was one of the first ones) both have the same syntoms except for the 2nd LED turned on, i guess it was worth give it a shot, i dont have a semifunctional CG2 PCB board to try to swap it, so it will be on stand by at the moment, of course not like a profitable job but just as a learning, MCU on Wireless Matrix2 Board is interchangeable with the Wireles Matrix 1 version?

Why Microsoft make Matrix V2 again? the idea was less components = cheaper, why go back on Matrix 2?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
The Wireless Matrix 1 and 2 have some differences, and while I haven't made schematics for both, I doubt the MCU is interchangeable.

You'd have to ask them why they did it. It's a 4 layer board also, so that costs more than the Matrix board did. It's a little more of a pain to hack on it because of the matrix button layout, but that's what switch ICs are for.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal