Author Topic: xbox elite controller mod  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
xbox elite controller mod
« on: January 20, 2016, 05:28:39 AM »
I am looking at doing a elite mod. I need to see the inside of the bottom shell. I would like to determine how the magnetic paddles are mounted and how they input a signal to the controller. 

Anyone seen any pictures laying around the net. I found a disassemble video which looks just like a standard controller, but the asshat does not show the inside of the bottom shell. Like duh... everything else is the same, why would you not show that.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: xbox elite controller mod
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:07:44 AM »
I'll be getting one of those in another day or two here to do some work on, can get pics for you then if no one else has posted by then.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 03:51:36 PM »
The Paddles appear to be Common Ground. They are using a 6 connection Flex cable to connect the Paddle board to the main board, so 4 are the buttons, 1 is ground and the last one I haven't determined yet and most likely will not on this controller. There is also a ground connection made from the MCU board to the Paddle board with a compression connector.

On the Power board, they are using the IR LED connection for the 1/2 switch line. This one also has no IR LEDs and seems to be mostly a 1697 with some changes for the Paddle board and the other shell changes. Sadly it's really just a matter of the slight mechanical difference for limiting the Triggers and some code for the rest of it that differentiates between the stock $60 controller an this $150 (ripoff) one.

Not a lot more I can do with this one as it has to go back to it's owner, and I don't want to go tearing into it like I normally would, but they did some changes in here on both boards. I'll get one later on so I can do a proper tear down and thread for it (maybe when that hot place get s a bit cooler, or if someone that cares not for money sends me one) but until then here are a few pics. If you need to see something else let me know while I have it here the next few days and I'll see what I can do.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:36:57 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 05:08:46 AM »
Do you think the original MOBO will lay in the shell over the paddle assembly?

I can probably port the chip I am using over, but I am worried any software changes may affect the way the Viking chip operates.

What is up with the Mic port? Is that a 3.5mm jack? The shell appears to have the slot for the xbox mic port also??
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:10:16 AM by Modded Matt »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 06:56:55 AM »
If you try to put the 1537 into this thing, the MCU will hit the Paddle board, and you'd have a gaping hole where the 3.5mm would be.

If you try to put a 1697 into this thing, which also has the 3.5mm port, the shielding of the RF board will hit the Paddle board.

Just from the looks, I can't imagine they changed the core of how it works, but I'd need one that I could tear more into to know for certain. The buttons are all still in a CG layout, and the Triggers are still Halls. I'd have to scope them to see if they changed anything there, but for all intensive purposes it's the same as a 1697. What I mainly meant by this one having different code is for the 4 Paddles and then the 1/2 selection switch. The 1697 is capable of being this 1698, but I doubt it has the connections broken out even if you could update the MCU on it.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:57:44 AM by RDC »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 05:26:35 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal