Author Topic: having an issue with winpic800  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
having an issue with winpic800
« on: October 23, 2015, 09:20:59 AM »
Its been a while since i have done this and have had a few chips left. that i thought i would make a few xbox 360 rapid fire controllers

I tried it with Hazers Flex cg and Robbies jitter mod and i keep getting errors when programing

I am using windows 7 pro also 32 bit system  $10 home made programmer which i have always used  for doing this and now i keep getting this after programming  so somewhere i have forgotten something or done something completely wrong

Shows it detects

go to program and just before its finished i get an error  usually turns green and says accept

Now i have run in to the problem it will not detect chip so i either have setting wrong or possible  could be my programmer
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:08:31 PM by Rodent »

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: having an issue with winpic800
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 04:23:08 AM »
That error doesn't really tell much, except it's fragging on programming the Config section, CLK source, Code Protection, etc.

If you're using an actual COM port, then power would be the first thing I'd wonder about, as filter caps don't last forever and the typical JDM uses the 'power' from the COM port for creating the VDD, which isn't exactly great. You could switch that up to using a USB cable for a nice clean 5v and Ground for the PIC. http://tehparadox.com/forum/f41/xbox-360-rapidfire-tutorial-coolshrimp-399607/  Unless you already are, in which case I'd try another PC with an actual COM port and make sure everything is still soldered together good.

Really though, I'd just invest another $10, as you could snag a knockoff PK2 or even a PK3 and be done with flaky COM port and/or power issues, plus be able to program a pile more PIC versions.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 07:48:32 AM »
Thank you RDC for the Reply. I just wasn't sure if  I had the setting wrong or if i missed something.  I haven't used it in a while and was going to check out my com port cable today and double check all my connections i made this programmer when i first started learning. about this stuff and soldering.  I have thought about checking my soldering connections and stuff  and since i was using windows xp compared to Windows 7 now didn't know if anything had changed(didn't think it would change) but thought i would ask  thank you for the help

if i was to buy a Pickit3 which one would recommend?  I would like to be able to program more then just the Pic 12F683

Thank you again for fast reply

RDC +1

Rodent consoles mods

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 08:42:17 AM »
If you want an official programmer either of the PICkit ones will do. The PK3 does all that the PK2 will plus newer PICs as well, but it usually costs around $70 unless you get a knockoff one, which really isn't much different than an official one unless they really went cheap ass on it, and then you're looking at $30 or so for one of those. If you were so inclined, and I don't recommend it, you could even build your own PK2 or PK3, but just getting one from fleaBay or looking around for a used one will save you more than that time and hassle is worth.

You can try running WinPic800 in XP compatibility mode, but I doubt you'll get any different result there.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »
that is fine $70 isn't a bad price for something that is really good,   I trust your judgement and I am one who believes in buying good tools when needed never know what you might get in to later down the road also  easier to sell if you do not  advance any further  with projects ,  thank you for your input  and advise very much appreciated

Rodent consoles mods

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
No problem, but if all you're going to do is flash a PIC here and there or just some tinkering with a couple of different versions, then you're better off with a $30 one as you'll never get into any real issues with it.

If you really want a good PIC Microhip programmer, then you could spend $125 on the mikroProg, as it does 920 different PICs, from the 10F series up to the newest 32MZ.

It really boils down to how much you'll be using it and what kind of PICs you'll be flashing or might want to work with. I personally have a PK2 and a PK3, as well as a mikroProg now, but I have more than a few projects going on at any given time and use each one for something specific, plus they have all paid for themselves which is another good point to consider when getting a 'better' tool, for whatever the job. Be it for the reliability of it over the long run or having little or no hassle from it the few times that it gets used, as long as it's worth it one way or the other.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 05:05:59 PM »
 Thank you   once again .   always straight to the point  and super fast reply  :tup:

Rodent consoles mods

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal