Author Topic: Results of being bord.  (Read 1340 times)

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

Results of being bord.
« on: July 08, 2015, 03:04:51 PM »
Was extremely board today so I pulled apart a busted GameCube controller and used the anologe joystick to put into my Nintendo controller. I originally had a 3ds anologe inside but it busted so I swaped it out. I had a couple of microchips from rdc for digital to anologe converson. Its not pretty at all but it's extremely functionable. I dident want to waste time so this was a slap stick job but so far I'm loving the functionality. Here are some pics of the controller.

I Didn't take any pics of the inside of the controller and I'm not about to undo all that glorious ducktape but I thought it would be worth sharing.

Difficulty I would rate it at a 2/5. If u have the digital to anologe microchip the wiring is pretty easy. U can find schmatics of the Nintendo controller easy using Google. Fun project, i would defenantly encourage doing it If your a reto gamer!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:09:46 PM by WHITE 4ND N3RDY »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Results of being bord.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »
You can do this, or similar type controller D-pad hacks without the chip also, as long as the controller uses a Common connection for the D-pad then it will work.

Remove the POTs from the Stick.
Remove the outer carbon trace inside both of them at dead center, around 1~2mm wide, where the top wiper sits when the Stick is not touched. Do not sever the inner carbon trace.

Try to make it as smooth a removal as possible as the Wiper will have to ride back and forth over it.
Check with a DMM to make sure the outside leads are now open and measure no Resistance at all, then reinstall the POTs and make sure there is also no Resistance from the center lead to each of the outside leads while the Stick is resting at center.
Wire up both Wipers (center) leads to Ground, or whatever the controller's common connection for the D-pad is.
Then the 4 remaining leads on the POTs are your U, D, L and R connections.

When the Stick is at center, the Wipers are in the area where the carbon trace was removed, thus no connections are being made, and since it is open now the U/D and L/R connections never make contact with each other either. When you press the Stick Up for example, the Wiper moves off the space where you removed the carbon and onto where it is still there, making the Ground (or whatever) connection to the Up line. Albeit this is done thru some Resistance from the remaining carbon trace, but it will still work as that value is less than the Pull-Up value on the D-pad lines.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:42:29 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal