Author Topic: Xbox One LED help  (Read 2577 times)

Offline JYount

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Xbox One LED help
« on: March 18, 2015, 07:46:13 PM »
I am currently attempting to add LEDs to my Xbox One controller. I have successfully added the blue/green/red/yellow led's under the abxy buttons and it looks great. My concerns though, is that I would also like to add them under the d-pad and thumbsticks. I don't want to go over the 100mA current draw, so I used my multimeter to test how much the abxy led's were currently using. From the 4 0805 leds I am using, I was measuring a 0.25mA current draw. Can anybody confirm if this number makes any sense?

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
Re: Xbox One LED help
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 04:13:19 AM »

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 05:05:09 AM »
0.25A or 0.25mA?

0.25A = 250mA, which is far too high for 4 x 0805 LEDs, unless they are rated at 50mA or more each, which I haven't seen so far. If you're not using the correct Resistors and over driving them you could get that high of a measurement, but they wouldn't last long at all, if not pop right off the bat.

0.25mA = 1/4 of 1mA, or 250micoAmps, which is not enough to light up even a single 0805 LED, let alone 4.

In either case, neither of those numbers jive. How are you using the meter to measure the current draw of the LEDs exactly? You need to have the meter in series with the load, the LEDs in this case. Remove either the power side or the ground side to the LEDs, makes no difference which one, then use the meter in series, like you would a Resistor, so the current has to go thru it. It also does not matter which color lead goes where if you are using a DMM, as you'll just get a negative number versus a positive one for the reading.

If that's how you are measuring the current, then I'd wonder what the scale is on the meter, as 25mA would be more of an expected measurement there.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline JYount

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 09:10:39 PM »
I checked out the manual for my meter, turns out I was putting my leads into the jack that will only measure from 250ma to 10A. Switched to the correct jack and no current flow. Seems the fuse must have been blown at some point.  :boxed:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal