Author Topic: sound reactive mod for the xbox one  (Read 6521 times)

Offline dominick19m

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
sound reactive mod for the xbox one
« on: December 24, 2014, 03:05:18 AM »
I'm looking for a way to tap left and right audio on this console any help appreciated pin out solder points something thanks

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
Re: sound reactive mod for the xbox one
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 11:25:30 AM »
do you have some pics of the xbox one taken apart ? i searched the internet and couldn't find anything

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 04:31:46 PM »
easiest way would be to get to the bottom of the motherboard to  get to the hdmi points where you can not mess them up cause you will need to solder them 

I really appreciate the pics you have shown me also could you take a pic of the dvd drive plug also ?   I haven't had the time to mess with one of these but i am thinking that a led storm might plug in the same way on these as they did the xbox 360 console :)

i believe the dvd drive plug is the same shown here in this pic  but i want to make sure :)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:37:13 PM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

Offline dominick19m

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 04:51:48 PM »
Yes it looks similar to a 360 and I already verified  the 12v source and ground locations on the connector and spliced for power I've never used a led storm kit how does it work if u don't mind me asking because I already have tip31s and tons of strip leds

In that pic top left connector goes to broadband card the others are for the bluray and hard disk drives.

I see cables that go from Hdmi to rca so I'm sure I can find the audio signal on the hdmi Jack but Will the digital signal drive the leds with a tip31? I hate to mess anything up.

I have an old 360 I might play around with to see if we can get a tip31 to run off a digital signal from an hdmi port without risking my Xbox one

I'm not ok with a Mic on the storm led sitting in a case being unresponsive also was gonna do a 3 position switch so I can power them with and without the tip31 and also cut them off

[admin]Please use edit to modify all your post! Please do not double triple and quadruple your post![/admin]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 12:29:45 AM by Rodent »

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 12:36:43 AM »
Yes it looks similar to a 360 and I already verified  the 12v source and ground locations on the connector and spliced for power I've never used a led storm kit how does it work if u don't mind me asking because I already have tip31s and tons of strip leds

In that pic top left connector goes to broadband card the others are for the bluray and hard disk drives.

I see cables that go from Hdmi to rca so I'm sure I can find the audio signal on the hdmi Jack but Will the digital signal drive the leds with a tip31? I hate to mess anything up.

I have an old 360 I might play around with to see if we can get a tip31 to run off a digital signal from an hdmi port without risking my Xbox one

I'm not ok with a Mic on the storm led sitting in a case being unresponsive also was gonna do a 3 position switch so I can power them with and without the tip31 and also cut them off

[admin]Please use edit to modify all your post! Please do not double triple and quadruple your post![/admin]

First question

Led storm plugs right in the dvd drive and is the easiest way possible to add leds to an xbox 360 consoles also i am thinking it will work on the xbox one there isnt much information out there about these xbox one consoles yet that is why its nice to see someone trying to modify one

2nd question
being the xbox one is new that is why i haven't been able to look at one i have some in stock just with me buidling jtags and rghs all the time so this is why i asked about seeing pics of the bottom of the board to try and help you figure that out for the leds 

3rd its been along time since i use tip31 i do have a tutorial on a xbox 360 that i used them on with all the av and hdmi ports showing which points to bridge etc for the hdmi that is why i asked for a pic of the bottom of the xbox one motherboared to try to help you figure out what you need to add the sound actived leds to

Rodent consoles mods

Offline dominick19m

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 10:47:45 AM »
Sorry I was kinda writing as it came to me I will get pics I didn't kno anyone had done a sound reactive mod via hdmi or spdif previously I did see u had done it via av again my bad it's prob not gonna be today tho maybe 2morrow I can get pics from the bottom of the board and thanks again for all your help and advice
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 10:54:24 AM by dominick19m »

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 06:53:32 PM »
No problem once i see how the HDMI port is layed out i might be able to help you get this going a little further along.    and thank you again for posting some pics and could you show me what it looks like with the dvd drive plugged in also pics of each plug that goes to the motherboard and which goes to the drive ?

Rodent consoles mods

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 08:59:13 PM »
You only have a digital audio signal on hdmi, you probably need to convert it to an analogue signal prior to using it for sound reactive mods.
I think you can get hdmi audio extraction boards fairly cheaply on ebay.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 06:40:40 AM »
You only have a digital audio signal on hdmi, you probably need to convert it to an analogue signal prior to using it for sound reactive mods.
I think you can get hdmi audio extraction boards fairly cheaply on ebay.

there not that cheap...lol  and on the xbox 360 you just have to bridge the points for hdmi.  that is why i asked to see the bottom half of the motherboard.  also i think we can pull it from the head set points now that i think about it. not really sure though i need to take one apart and test it myself

Rodent consoles mods

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 02:57:29 PM »
You are right I hadn't realized they are pretty pricey, I guess that's understandable.
What do you mean by bridging pins? From what I understand there's no analog audio output on the xbox one console at all . You got to strip the audio from either HDMI or Optical which are both digital signals (To directly use these you need to be pretty good with signal processing and buy some pretty hefty processing power to decode the streams into data which you can use to drive the LEDs).
Interesting you bring up the headset port, I hadn't really considered that. What's the deal with that? it's built into the controller right? Should be fairly straight forward to implement sound reactive mods into the xbox one controller, but I still think the console itself is going to be a difficult (and expensive) mod.

Side point.
Dunno if anyone here has used one of these before for sound reactive mods, but they are pretty cool if you manage to get your hands on an standard headphone spec'd analog line in the console. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10468
They do like ghetto real-time 7 point fourier transform on the signal, and so you can drive your leds from fairly specific frequencies of your music ect.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 03:47:33 PM »
@Ghost you bring up alot of good points there but  i think  your making this project alot more difficult then then it is.  its as simple as this
by wiring it to the sounds that would come out the head set  and as i done with my sound activated led controller  in the same matter its not that hard as for on the xbox 360 console with a chip called pulse vu2  used in most xbox 360 consoles they bridge the hdmi points

Not saying i am right but  i am interested in this also so  :dntknw: here is how the pulse vu2 works and tip31 works as shown in the pics

normal av

HDMI

if you could just wire in to the audio ports for the head sets i am not sure it would work that is why i like to see pics  of the motherboard i will have to find time to pull it apart and test myself

No av or HDMI out puts and it works on this and i didnt use a pulse vu on this  i used a TIP31 http://youtu.be/HA0HIo2Rb7k
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:56:28 PM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 06:42:13 PM »
Yup that works because the old composite connector had AR/AL stereo analog audio outputs, and that bridge is probably to cause the analog audio to be continuously on even with HDMI audio out.
I'm not saying you are wrong, and it makes sense to do it on the controller since there with the headphone out port. I mean perhaps I am mistaken but without analog outputs on the xbox I don't know where you will get the audio signal from.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 02:51:32 AM »
lol well this is why we have forums so great minds can figure stuff like this out.  i am sure we can figure out something. 

Rodent consoles mods

Offline dominick19m

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 09:43:39 PM »
Okay so what's the voltage of the audio signal on a hdmi port if a tip31 is a voltage activated switch would the voltage not activate the switch even with a digital signal. It's not like I need to actually make an audable noise but simply supply the voltage to activate a switch when the music bumps if I knew the voltage across the audio port it might not be a tip31 but for sure we should be able to pull off the same sort of mod. I'm back and gonna get back to jacking with this Xbox project I will get some pics asap
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:55:54 PM by dominick19m »

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 01:45:28 AM »
Dominick, the HDMI audio signal is digital, it's just a stream of Hi and Lo logic levels. It's not useful for driving a transistor.
I don't know much about how they go about encoding that signal, but switching LEDs based on the straight digital signal (or even a filtered version of it) will probably show very little visual resemblance to the audio. 

Edit: Actually now that I think about it how do they encode HDMI audio? I assumed it would be more complex than just a direct stream of samples of the analogue waveform, anyone know?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:52:59 AM by GhoSt »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal