Author Topic: DualShock 4 Controller PCB scans  (Read 339742 times)

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
DualShock 4 Controller PCB scans
« on: September 18, 2014, 07:57:46 PM »
So far there are 7 versions of the DS4 controller PCB.

The JDM-001 (1-889-300-11 (Blue PCB) or 1-889-300-21 (Green PCB)) is the first version I've seen.

BOTTOM

The JDS-001 board, aka USB/LED board.

Vias for the buttons of the JDM-001 (NOTE: The PCB is the Blue version here, but the Blue and the Green boards are identical in this respect)

NOTES on button layout, applies to all versions so far..

The D-pad, Cross, Circle, Square and Triangle buttons are active Lo. Connecting them to any Ground spot will make them work.

The L1 and R1 are Active Hi, and have to be connected to the 3.2v line to activate.

The L2 and R2 are PWM and should connect to the 2L and 2R spots respectively if they are to be duplicated.

Then the JDM-011 (1-893-557-21 or 1-893-557-31) is the second one I've seen. It's a little smaller width wise and has some things moved around, but is pretty much the same thing. The USB/LED board (not pictured yet) is redone so there are 2 less wires on the connector. The shell has also been changed for the smaller PCB, so a 1:1 swap can't be done without some modification to this version shell if installing one of the older wider boards.

BOTTOM

The JDS-011 board, aka USB/LED board.

Vias for the buttons of the JDM-011

The JDM-020 (1-893-899-11) is the latest revision. They seem to have ditched the Fujitsu ARM for a Freescale one and finally started to use blind vias.

BOTTOM

NOTE: Because the JDM-020 uses blind vias, I'll need to have one of these to tear down and see about the best spots for duplicate buttons and such.

Well, here are the X, O, /\ and [ ] Vias. Don't say I didn't warn ya. ;)

The X and /\ buttons can be found on the bottom of the PCB, but O and [ ] are top only.

New DS4 version board (mid/late July 2015) This thing has had a pretty decent change made to the shell and the Daughter board layout. The Daughter board has been split into a 2 piece design now and connects on the sides of the mother board versus the middle as every previous version has. The core way of how the controller works hasn't changed though.

JDM-030 (1-980-146-11)

BOTTOM

The JDS-030 board, aka USB/LED board.

Here are the X, O, /\ and [ ] Vias for the JDM-030.

Latest DS4 version board for the Slim console (mid September 2016) Again with a change made to the shell and the Daughter board layout. The Daughter board has gone back to a single piece design (not interchangeable with older versions) and it connects around the top left of the board versus the middle.

When my other board arrives, I'll remove the ARM to see if there is a via for Square button. The Cross, Circle and Triangle buttons have them for sure, but you'll only get 1 shot at them, and if you're not up for that small work, I designed the SFX-040, so no soldering is required on the controller PCB at all. - https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,44001.0.html

JDM-040 (1-981-330-31)

BOTTOM

The JDS-040 board, aka USB/LED board.

Here are the X, O, /\ and [ ] Vias for the JDM-040.

JDM-050 (1-982-355-11 and 1-982-355-21)

BOTTOM

The JDS-050 board, aka USB/LED board.

JDM-055 (1-982-707-11, 1-982-707-22, 1-982-707-31, 1-982-707-32, 1-982-707-81) 
1-982-707-31 Schematic - https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,44645.0.html

BOTTOM

The JDS-055 board, aka USB/LED board.

Vias locations for the X, O, /\, [ ] and D-Pad buttons. JDM-050 shown here, but the JDM-055 spots are in the identical locations, even though the board is slightly different. Any ground spot can be used for the common connection.

NOTE: Be aware though, if the via is ruined in the process, repairing the controller will be extremely difficult if not impossible. The SFX-040 that was made for the JDM-040 version (above) will also work on the -050 and -055 versions here if you're not wanting to risk it. ;)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 02:38:46 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Viking360

• Club AM VIP
  • Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: DualShock 4 Controller PCB scans
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 08:27:53 PM »
RDC,

There is an easier way to designate the PCB's.  For the first version if you remove the barcode you will see "JDM-001".  The second version in your post would be "JDM-011".  And back in the beginning of August someone send me a PS4 controller that was a JDM-020 revision.  If they keep with this labeling it might be easier to communicate revisions based on that code (even though it's obscured by the barcode sticker on the JDM-001's).

As usual thanks for going through the trouble of sharing with everyone.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 02:37:26 AM »
The JDM number is also on the top side of the PCB as well. The larger number was only used as it's right there when the bottom of the shell is taken off and easy to see. I wouldn't solely go on either number at the moment until there are more versions out for comparison, the larger one is just where I've started labeling them for now.

Welcome.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline MuSiC__

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 11:52:17 PM »

Here is a couple of 20 mb pics of the JDM-020, hopefully they look ok for you guys.

Offline hotburn7

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 09:24:04 AM »
Hello guys,

I search the X and O mapping for the board JDM-020! Help me Please :fear:

Offline TOicAD

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 03:07:33 AM »
Hello guys,

I search the X and O mapping for the board JDM-020! Help me Please :fear:

I have the same problem, I usually welding wire contacts flex pcb, but gives poor results.
sorry for my English I am using a translator

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 04:37:47 AM »
The JDM-020 uses blind vias, so until one is sacrificed, that is stripped of some of it's parts (mainly the MCU) and possibly some layers sanded down as well to tell where everything is actually at, no one has that information.

Offline TOicAD

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 12:35:55 AM »
The JDM-020 uses blind vias, so until one is sacrificed, that is stripped of some of it's parts (mainly the MCU) and possibly some layers sanded down as well to tell where everything is actually at, no one has that information.

where I send a motherboard jdm-020? so you can explore the points?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 12:55:53 AM »
You can PM me about that possibility.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 05:51:25 AM »
Thread updated for all that have been asking about the X and O locations of the JDM-020. Don't look for any on the bottom of the PCB, there aren't any except for X and /\. Sony has started using blind vias and vias in pads on this and I'm sure later versions of the controller, probably some buried vias as well in there.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:48:55 AM by RDC »

Offline joypad_junk87

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 03:19:04 AM »
hey there.
did anyone know where i can find the 3 led tp spots , from the lightbar, on the jdm-001 board?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 03:37:50 AM »
Nope, because it doesn't have them.

You'll have to use the Transistors, Resistors or leads at the connector.

Offline joypad_junk87

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 06:36:39 AM »
Wow. Thanks for the fast answer.
Oh. I' ve feared about that. :beg:
Did you know, if the jmd number  is anywhere to find on a new controller Case or the packIng? Or is there a year of bulid, which says more about the jdm?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 06:43:03 AM by joypad_junk87 »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 08:37:25 AM »
I've never really bothered to look into that, as it was never the case with the PS3 controllers, so I doubt anything has changed there and you'd always get a this or that version. Pretty much anything you get new now will be an -020 or -030 though, unless you're getting your controllers from some place that only sells one every year or so and just has crazy old stock as I haven't seen a new -001 since the PS4 came out.

Offline joypad_junk87

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 10:21:10 PM »
Ok thanks a lot.   :hifive:

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 11:00:27 PM »
Welcome.

Offline Itamiko

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »
Hi Everyone!

First of all, Merry Christmas and some nice free days!

I got a short question about the JBL-001 mod. I havent found a documentation on the layout of a "ground spot". Anyone out there, that could help me with this question? Is it possible to connect it in an similar way to the 011  Version?

Thank in advance and cheers,
Chris

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 12:26:10 AM »
No clue what your JBL-001 mod is.

Ground is everywhere inside the controller, just use any of the 8 mounting lugs for the sticks, the battery - side, or any number of places that a DMM and a few seconds of poking around on Ohms will turn up.

Offline Itamiko

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 02:30:25 AM »
Hi and thanks for your reply :)
I just opened all of my 3 controllers, and "taadaaa" 3 different version :D jdm 001, 011 and 020
Which one is the easiest for you? I'd say the 011 ?!

I'll take the mounting soldering points of the analog sticks i guess then though they aren't soldered well.

Offline i7vSa7vi7y

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +4/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 11:56:54 AM »
For LEDs on the 030 can I just solder on the + battery contact and ground on the analog? That's 3.7v right?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 12:19:23 PM »
You can, but then your LEDs will be on ALL of the time. Also, the battery voltage will be ~4.2v while it's charging and vary from that to 3v or so. This is the least recommended way to power your LEDs from the controller as the power source is not regulated (stays at a specific voltage) and it is on all of the time since it's just a battery. Even if you were to use a switch in that circuit so you could determine when the LEDs were on/off, you still have the voltage issue.

There is a dedicated 3.2v source in there that powers pretty much everything that you should use for your LEDs instead. The voltage stays at 3.2v and it turns on/off (is switched) with the controller, so your LEDs would as well. The easiest place to get the 3.2v is the 2 outside leads of any one of the Sticks POTs, the row of 3 solder joints. One outside lead is Ground, the other is 3.2v, and you're done.

If you are looking at the bottom of the controller..

Code: [Select]

+ = 3.2v
- = Ground
X = X-axis
Y = Y-axis
L = L3
R = R3
O = Solder Lugs (these are also Ground)

Right Stick              Left Stick

+ X -                    + X -
      O       O                O       O
 +  R           -         +  L           -
                Y                        Y
 +  R           +         +  L           +
      O       O                O       O
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:32:32 PM by RDC »

Offline i7vSa7vi7y

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +4/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 01:06:40 PM »
Thank you!!!! That's an excellent diagram by the way. I didn't think about the charging issue.

Offline i7vSa7vi7y

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +4/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 08:10:32 AM »
So to install a tact button where does the other wire go? One goes to X an the other to your button. Then do you just ground your button? I remember on PS3 there was a tp point.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »
It Depends on the button you are wanting to duplicate.

The DS3 used a COM line setup that was pretty screwed up. The DS4 here uses more common setups.

For the D-pad and all face buttons, they are active Lo, they go to Ground to activate.

For the L1, R1, L3 and R3, they are active Hi, they go to 3.2v to activate.

For L2 and R2 they each have their own PWM line.

So X and Ground = X

Offline i7vSa7vi7y

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +4/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 10:46:03 AM »
Ok awesome. I'm starting to like the DS4's a lot better.

Offline heipp123

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 08:06:47 AM »

what are these components name and value thanks.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 09:00:24 AM »
In the left circle, the 2 vertical components are Resistors, 10k, 0402. The horizontal one is also a Resistor, 0ohm, 0603.

In the right circle, the top component is an NPN Transistor, marking is KKB and you'll have to hunt for it. The bottom one is a Resistor, 1M, 0402.

Offline heipp123

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 09:11:10 AM »
In the left circle, the 2 vertical components are Resistors, 10k, 0402. The horizontal one is also a Resistor, 0ohm, 0603.

In the right circle, the top component is an NPN Transistor, marking is KKB and you'll have to hunt for it. The bottom one is a Resistor, 1M, 0402.

excellent thank you and have nice day.

Offline Lotus.2

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 02:23:40 PM »
Hey guys I hope someone can help me.
I have the JDM 030.
I tried to weld the wire onto the board (O-Button). But now every time i connect the controller to the ps4 und push the thumbstick in any direction the controller will go back in the menu. How can i solve this problem?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 02:28:31 PM »
Start off with undoing whatever you did in there, and then seeing how the controller acts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal