Author Topic: Xb1 Console Mod led electrical ?  (Read 2127 times)

Offline XKickinX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Xb1 Console Mod led electrical ?
« on: September 02, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »
Hello everyone I'm new to console modding and just have a couple quick questions about the LED mods I've seen. I want to do a picture window over the disc drive and flip the fins and put leds inside. Original I know.  :laughing: I've seen people jump the hot wire for the leds into the blue ray 12V and running the led circuit off of that. My question is what is the current draw for 12-15 leds in series for the picture window, then the 12 or so for the fan in parallel? Is the node at each location not drawing some of the voltage that should be going to whatever components that run off of that wire. I guess it's a parallel circuit so wouldn't there be voltage drops somewhere? Also my xbox has been known to run for 15-20 hours straight. Would the leds being on that long cause harm due to the extra current? Are the wires with the Leds capable of continuous current? Is it even enough current to matter at all? I have searched high and low for answers but have found nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks  :victory:

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
Re: Xb1 Console Mod led electrical ?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 09:26:52 PM »
Hey man welcome to the site!

Honestly you want to make all your LED's in parallel with each other. You will have to use a resistor in series with the whole group of LED's to protect them from too much voltage. A 12volt fan should be connected in parallel with everything.

When your LED's are connected in series: they "use more voltage".
When your LED's are connected in parallel: they "use more current".

Parallel circuits don't have voltage drops, they feed the same voltage across all the connected electronic parts. LED's are best wired in parallel for beginners because there is no hassle with voltage drops and driving the whole circuit properly. Either way you will need the proper value resistor before you apply power.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline XKickinX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 05:27:34 AM »
Thank you for the response. So do i need to sort of figure exactly what im going to use and calculate the type of resistor i need by how its hooked up? Im in school for electrical technology and just started so im learning about series/parallel circuits as we speak lol go figure i got it backwards  :laughing: . My concern is there any risk of that added circuit or circuits possibly causing harm to anything else feeding off of that line? Also after sleeping on it and thinking some more lol is dust any concern after removing the top of the metal cover and exposing everything?

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:02:51 PM »
Yep you will have to draw out a diagram of the LED's and use a resistor calculator to figure out what value resistor you need.

Build and test your circuit before installation. I speak from experience. Finding out your LEDs are wired backwards after you hot glue them in there is not good hahaha

Dust is not a big concern. Worry about short circuits because that could damage the power supply, or worse, the motherboard. When you take the system apart try not to drop stuff onto the motherboard because it might cause a short circuit when you power it on.

Just keep your wiring color coded and organized... i use yellow as +12volts and red +5volts... black is my ground.

Personally I would feed my mods' directly from the motherboard's power supply connector because there is almost no chance of loading down the major system components.

Good luck bro you're in safe hands.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline XKickinX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 12:46:22 PM »
Thanks for the info, before I jump into this I'm going to try my hand at a led swap in the controller and see how that goes first. I ordered everything I needed for that. Then I may see about starting a list for everything and begin ordering led strips and such. It doesn't seem like a huge deal, I guess it being a 400 dollar console is a bit intimidating but I guess if I mess something up I can fix it and learn something new at the same time! When I start I'll just post some pics as I go and maybe turn this into a tech thread  :laughing:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal