Author Topic: PSP wlan switch for LEDs. Curious about similar applications...  (Read 3130 times)

Offline TR4G-

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0

Hey guys,

Question regarding the wlan switch. I know there are tuts for where to hook everything up via this, but I am looking for an explanation as to HOW it works. From my understanding, the WLAN switch has 3 poles. 1 and 2 when connected complete the wifi circuit and thus turn on the wifi. Pole 3 is a ground/dead pin that is unused. So wifi is not off because 2 and ground are connected but really because 1 and 2 are NOT connected. BUT, if this pole (3)  is connected to ground, would'nt it always be connected to ground regardless of whether the switch is connecting 1 and 2 vs 2 and ground?

Furthermore, if you can answer that, I have another (but assuming you answer my first question, this one should be intuitive, im clearly just missing something) :cool: The wlan mod should work exactly the same even if you do not bridge 1 and 2 correct? or no...

EDIT: so I poked around with a multimeter on my GO and turns out the connection to ground is only present when the switch is slide to the wifi off position. Interesting... Not sure what the bridging of the wifi switch is for. Is this simply so you can have wifi on as well as the LEDs? Or is it something more technical where the signal somehow could interfere with teh wifi signal if pins 1 and 2 are not bridged. Again, i never took a circuits class so I'm going off of intuition from my middle school classes over a decade ago lol. I recall something regarding the passage of least resistance? aka in this application, the bridging of pins 1 and 2 could cause the signal to not actually reach the switch? I'm prolly just spewing out retarded info, but hey Im just thinking out loud (while I type)...

If that IS the case, then I would see how the bridging is necessary, if not, then the bridging is simply to have the ability to have the wifi on and leds on as well...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:21:31 PM by TR4G- »

Offline TR4G-

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0

Re: PSP wlan switch for LEDs. Curious about similar applications...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 01:30:59 PM »
anyone? Will the wifi switch thing work if you do not bridge pins 1 and 2 together? I'm about to do this :(

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 09:46:02 PM »
(Sorry Admins for post BUMP)
----------------------------------

Hello, sorry for the delay in a response (was AFK for a few months) but i thought you might like an answer to your question.

The sole reason why the two pins are bridged is because connecting the positive and ground pin is the only way that provides a connection with a switch, with which to complete the circuit.

So: (Someone correct me if im wrong with the order)

Pin 1: Positive

Pin 2: Positive

Pin 3: Ground

SO when normal WiFi is in use the 1st and 2nd pins are connected and the WiFi module is turned on. And when the 2nd and 3rd pins are connected the positive is connected to ground and therefore the WiFi module is off.

So when using the bridging method for a 5v power source, you do so because unless you want your WiFi off every time you want to use the 5v's you would need a way to keep the 2nd and 3rd pins connected so that WiFi functions can be used as normal with the added benefit of an extra 5v power source for mods.

The same method can be used as an ON/OFF switch for the 5v source but at the cost of keeping the WiFi on at all times by bridging the 1st and 2nd pins instead.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:50:15 PM by Crumbz »

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline Ninja_EX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 03:41:14 AM »
Pin 1 is a floating contact pin 2 is connected directly to ground pin 3 is the ground for the wifi module when you turn the switch on it bridges pin2 (ground) with pin3 (wifi ground) witch therefore completes the circuit. :victory:   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal