Author Topic: Joystick Modding  (Read 3060 times)

Offline alnilam

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Joystick Modding
« on: July 22, 2014, 06:57:43 AM »
hi great forum.

I'm trying to mod a joystick.
There's this Cyborg X joystick and I want to attach a Analog Stick of a Gamepad onto its Throttle control so I can use it as a Radar Cursor for my flight simulation. I already found a video on this forum for making a USB Analog Stick. But I want to push it forward and attach two devices into one. I wonder if this is any possible. If so, this newb member is looking for some orientation to start modding the device.
If that is not possible, it is enough for me to use Analog Stick as a seperate Joystick. But, will my PC recognize the modded USB Analog Stick as a Game Controller?

OR, i found this PSP Vita replacement part, it has the best size for my need. Is it possible to convert it's output to USB and again, make it recognizeable Game Controller for PC

thanks.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: Joystick Modding
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:34:05 AM »
you need to open it and see what type of switch/pot/hall sensor is used for the switch you want to replace and go from there. you may need to incorporate some type of transistor or ADC depending on what the original manufacturer used.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:44:58 PM »
If you're referring to the video of soldering the PS2 stick onto the USB connector for a PSP, that USB connector is just used as a jack, it's not even close to being a USB device.

You're not going to get a new function onto the existing flight stick without redoing it's hardware completely, and then writing your own driver for the PC to recognize it.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline alnilam

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:52:11 PM »
Seems like I got it all wrong by asking for impossible moddings. I better get a new gamepad and use it like before.
I found alot of cool stuff when I write "mini gamepad" on Google. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

:victory:

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:20:30 PM »
You're wanting to add a function that the controller wouldn't know what to do with, and the driver on the PC would need to be modified to understand even if it could be added or make 2 controllers work as 1 in a game. It's not impossible, but it's far, far more work than other methods.

You'd be better off looking for a stick that has more functions, and if you don't like its layout then retrofitting that into the stick you like using what you needed and some of the extras it had, but even that's a pile of work.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal