Author Topic: CUSTOM PAINTED CONTROLLERS  (Read 4848 times)

Offline The Marquis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
CUSTOM PAINTED CONTROLLERS
« on: July 18, 2014, 07:37:32 AM »
Although I am the noobie on acidmods, at the request of my friend N3rdy I am posting pics of some of my custom paint jobs, ( its just a hobby btw ) Hope you like them, and feel free to comment, good and bad, lol, I am a big boy now and can take it ....

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:39:27 AM by The Marquis »
EXHAUSTIPATED ...." Too tired to give a sh**

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: CUSTOM PAINTED CONTROLLERS
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:43:59 AM »
Thats some cool Sh** right there!!

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
Sick art work Jim! Love the headsets as well. Top notch work!

Offline The Marquis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 05:16:59 PM »
I notice this thread has had a lot of viewings, sadly very little feedback .... ah well  :confused:

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 06:54:29 PM »
Those are some really great looking controller. care to share how it was done? i am starting to custom paint shells for console and controllers and i would like to hear others method and techniques.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 09:26:34 PM »
I notice this thread has had a lot of viewings, sadly very little feedback .... ah well  :confused:

Give it time Jim! Things move slow here. Once people actually see it and start to comment on it it will blow up like the world trade!

Offline The Marquis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 03:16:09 AM »
Give it time Jim! Things move slow here. Once people actually see it and start to comment on it it will blow up like the world trade!

LOL, Thanks N3rdy.

Offline The Marquis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 03:45:43 AM »
Those are some really great looking controller. care to share how it was done? i am starting to custom paint shells for console and controllers and i would like to hear others method and techniques.

Without going into full detail ... I begin with 3 light base coats using auto paint, very light layers, especially on the new xb1 controller, (bleeds through pink otherwise) then 4 top coats of colour (I always use matt), leave to dry 24hrs, now clean out slots , dpad and stick holes, then a single coat of colour to smarten up any bald patches, and rub down using 1200 wet & dry, then a single coat of lacquer.
Now comes the design, sometimes I hand paint, (not airbrush), but most of my designs are done using water based decals which I create on my PC, then print using a special decal paper on my home inkjet printer. Apply the decals or finish hand work, (or sometimes both).
Begin the lacquer layers .... 5 coats to begin, then lightly rub down, 5 more coats and rub down, this is repeated again. The purpose of this is to level and smooth out the edges of the hand paint or decals, plus makes it all VERY hard wearing. Now a final 3 coats of lacquer, and rub down. Final finishing touch is to use an ultra fine auto cutting polish, (I use a metal polish called "Brasso"). Results leave an ultra smooth and ultra shiny finish that's is VERY hard wearing and feels awesome when using the controller. The whole process takes about 1 to 2 weeks to complete.
Hope this gives you an insite of how I do it, several years of trial and error and a lot of patience to perfect it ....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:48:19 AM by The Marquis »

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 07:52:25 AM »
that's a lot of paint there, doesn't it make it thicker with all that layer on there? or does wet sanding it down after every few coats/design helps it? Great job none the less.

White and Nerdy is right, the post has a slow snow ball effect, but once it rolls it'll keep on rolling.

Offline The Marquis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »
that's a lot of paint there, doesn't it make it thicker with all that layer on there? or does wet sanding it down after every few coats/design helps it? Great job none the less.

White and Nerdy is right, the post has a slow snow ball effect, but once it rolls it'll keep on rolling.

As long as you keep the slots and holes rubbed down, the thickness of paint is not a problem, in fact it is deliberate, it gives the controller a much warmer softer feel to it, I did my earlier ones for friends about 2 or 3 yrs ago, they tell me that they still look as good as when they got them, no wearing of the images at all ..... unlike the single dipped versions you can buy which show wear and tear after six months use ....

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 10:04:10 AM »
thanks for the info, i appreciate that!

Offline The Marquis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 10:37:28 AM »
thanks for the info, i appreciate that!

My pleasure, anything else you want to know (about my work), give me a shout and will try to help .....

Offline Whitey86

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 11:54:02 AM »
Your work looks outstanding! nice to see something different and could i ask what sort of paper you use with your inkjet to creat the stickers and do you cut them by hand or use a plotter?
keep up the good work

Offline The Marquis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »
Your work looks outstanding! nice to see something different and could i ask what sort of paper you use with your inkjet to creat the stickers and do you cut them by hand or use a plotter?
keep up the good work

The paper is called "Lazertran Inkjet" waterslide decal paper, and I always cut by hand and leave a 1mm proud edge around the image.
I have tried other cheaper types, but have this to be the best of the rest ....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:26:26 PM by The Marquis »

Offline Whitey86

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »
Thank you for your reply.i will look at getting some and giving it a go.Looks like you have mastered it as yours look flawless!! i have a desktop plotter myself so may aswell utilize that but its worth a shot.Do you use lqure from a can or automotive laqure?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:29:38 PM by Whitey86 »

Offline The Marquis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »
Thank you for your reply.i will look at getting some and giving it a go.Looks like you have mastered it as yours look flawless!! i have a desktop plotter myself so may aswell utilize that but its worth a shot.Do you use lqure from a can or automotive laqure?

Auto Lacquer spray, gives a finer finish ...

Offline LittleVikingGirl

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »
Marquis, I'm pleased that I've had the pleasure to see some of your custom painted things in person. They seem like they will hold up for years without the design wearing off. The shell you sent into Viking was going to be made into a Berserker, but we didn't want to drill through the vikings on the front. How are the thumbsticks with the Viking360 logo on them now that they've been used a lot? I though that was the coolest and most clever thing; it never even occurred to me to do. Props to you sir!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal