Author Topic: XBOX SteamBox Casual/Retro Gaming + Media Center All in One Console  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Nuclear Kommando

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Xbox Steambox v2 is what i plan to do next
    • Life Kommando
So this is my Xbox SteamBox,

After Years Of Anticipating To Build This Thing, I Have Finally Done It

Please remember this was done during final school exams, it was my first time doing this kind of mod, as in using the dremel, and everything was not planned I just winged it

3 Years 3 Days

The question is, will I stop here? Only one way to find out...

The Funny thing is, 5 years ago in my final days in elementary I modded my PSP LED Triggers, that was my first console project that also took 3 days to do. And now 5 Years later I build and did another console mod and it took 3 days as well. (Im 18 now)

So without further ado lets take a look at this bad boy...

So I was on the phone with me friend and asked him if by any chance he had a broken XBOX that I could have. My original plan was to use an XBOX 360 Case But he had an original XBOX that was modded and I hah lets take modding to the next level for this thing. Now it can run and play PC games, and all the emulators.

Inside Look

Pretty much all the parts here have been accumulated over that past 5 years except. I actually had 2 Dead RROD XBOX 360s  that were ready to get modded when I get the parts, but I had to throw em out because of my parents nagging me to throw away my electronic parts because I had like 4 big boxes full of computer and electronic parts & wires. Yes it is messy, power supply wires what can I say.. I actually had to extend the wires since they were so shot.

Specification

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1Ghz        |        GPU: Dell AMD HD 7470 1GB DDR3

RAM: 1x2GB DDR2        |        HDD: 2.5" 750GB

Powersupply: 100W From a dead Shuttle        |        Built-in: WiFi, Xbox 360 Wireless Controller Reciver

Running Windows 8.1

Game Performance

Its perfect for All Emulators   |   Indie Games   |   &   OLD Classic Games   |   Android   |    XBMC Media Centre   |   Minecraft

The only thing that should make this build perfect for what It can do is the RAM.

The 1x4GB DDR2 Stick is $100, might as well build a new box with that kind of money.

Some Modern Games can be played but again the ram is limiting it.

A video will be uploaded soon demonstrating what kind of gaming it can run.

Back Panel

The Graphics Card Does have a display port but I didn't need it so I didn't bother cutting a hole for it, will probably do it later when I get an HDMI display port cable. It was also my first time with the Dremel and I think i did a pretty good job for a beginner.

Front UI

2 USB 2.0    |     1 E-SATA    |    Audio Jacks

The Big Eject Button is the Power button & The Small Power button is the Reset Button. No Power LED YET.

Top View

Here you will find the intake fan with a golden fan grill. This fan pushes air in the case & the CPU and the hot air comes out from both sides and the back. I could have used an led fan but, nearby computer stores didnt have any good ones, so I went with this antec fan.

Everything is super cool, CPU Temp is Average 30°C Never goes over 35°C this is during game play too.

GPU Average 50/60°C Pretty Good and Normal

The hard drive & everything else is the same as CPU

The After Math

So I finished building it, now what?

I will spend time researching and accumulating more parts to build an actual fully functional that will run all existing current modern PC Games.

I will be using my current main gaming pc which consists of:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.40 GHz        |        GPU: NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 1GB SC

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance        |        HDD: 2.5" 750GB

Powersupply: 450W        |        Built-in: WiFi

Running Windows 8.1

I hope you have enjoyed reading this post, I had to rip it off my new dead blog and modify it a bit here, text has more color on the original post that no one looks at but anyways. If you guys like this, tell me if you would like to see the next build I'm talking about with daily updated photos on a separate post :)

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:49:22 AM by Rodent »

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
Re: XBOX SteamBox Casual/Retro Gaming + Media Center All in One Console
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 05:51:13 AM »
Pretty nice to see an old retro console made in to a PC  keep up the good work

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 06:52:46 PM »
Very cool do you have any other mods?

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 07:05:08 AM »
When I read the title, I was expecting something different.  This is a small PC inside an xbox case, but nice work none the less.

I was expecting to see a xbox 360 mobo with jtag/lenux operation by the title.

Offline Nuclear Kommando

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Xbox Steambox v2 is what i plan to do next
    • Life Kommando
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 03:36:08 AM »
Nope my only other mod was done 5 years ago it was the psp led triggers, the usual but i was young so, ppl back then in my age didnt really do mods.

Im so excited, right now im loading this xbox with everything PS1-PS2-Xbox-Sega-Nintendo-Atari- and all the other emulators with full game librarys

PLUS

Im going to be building a light gun setup and actually make this a portable ARCADE SYSTEM XD CANT WAIT!

Portable Arcade Lightgun setup is what i will be working on, first I will test out how I will do it then I will find nice parts to make it all work together and with blowback feedback :)

o and also I just finished adding the front Blue Halo LED :) looks great 2 fullsized LEDs very bright and sexy looking and also got the hdmi thing, I cut open an extra port for the hidden display port. so its tv ready now.

did more fixes cleaning up smoothing the cuts out and all, found the original faceplate.

Will get more pictures if you guys wanna follow me on my jurney to make a portable arcade system :)

When I read the title, I was expecting something different.  This is a small PC inside an xbox case, but nice work none the less.

I was expecting to see a xbox 360 mobo with jtag/lenux operation by the title.

Thats what I actually had in mind 3 years ago when I had 2 dead xbox 360s ppl gave me, but i was forced to throw em out. Really you can do much with that small case, I could have used one but I think the xbox original is just perfect in everyway for a pc mod.

If I build another one I could prob even fit a fully fledged graphics card.

I started thinking too much about performance, and all I thought about is how Im going to get those parts to build a new one, but now Im like hold on, keep that project for later, and right now I will improve what I have and work on my current one. even tho some other people have done the same, mine performances the best with nothing poping outside the case.

so right now like i said down there I will work on making it a badass arcade/retro gaming system. Its 3:38AM and I cant stop thinking about it (the homemade lightgun) lol I need to sleep so tomorrow I can start on it and prob get a prototype running in no time.

[mod]Please use the modify tab to edit your post. This will eliminate double posting, Thanks![/mod]
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 05:41:41 AM by WHITE 4ND N3RDY »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal