Author Topic: left trigger not responding way to fix?  (Read 13824 times)

Offline nelly91511

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
left trigger not responding way to fix?
« on: April 14, 2014, 06:08:59 AM »
Im having issues with my left trigger..it wont respond.was wondering if anybody knew how to fix or where to look on circuit board?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: left trigger not responding way to fix?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:48:11 AM »
There are only a few parts that could cause that, and you'll need at the least a DMM to figure out if they're bad or not. If you don't have a DMM and can't rework SMT components, then there's not much you'll be able to do about it yourself.

Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline nelly91511

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:23:59 PM »
I do have a mdd..what do I need to test? Im not to familiar with smt components but im willing to give a try. I taught myself how to mod controllers jus off of youtube videos..ima visual learner so if you have any tips or pics on what I need to do that would be awesome!

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 02:32:55 PM »
I've no idea what all was done to that controller, and since you've posted no pics of the area I've no idea what shape it's in. If the thing has been messed with then it could be any number of issues. If the Magnet isn't on the Trigger assembly then it's not going to work at all, so check that first. It also needs to be on there the correct way, so if it was removed and reinstalled, then it's on backwards.

You'll need to have the controller powered up to make these tests.

1 - Check the voltage between the A and B spots, it should measure around 1.3v or so. If not, then R37 or the trace between R37 and U11 is damaged.

2 - If it does measure around 1.3v, then check the voltage between B and the top side of R42, it should measure around 0.25v with the Trigger at Rest, then around 0.11v with the Trigger pulled. If you don't get any voltage swing when pulling the Trigger, then the Hall sensor is bad and needs replaced.

3 - If there is voltage swing, then check between B and the bottom side of R42, it should measure the same as in test 2, if not, then R39 is bad. If it measures good then go to 4.

4 - Remove power from the controller and check the Ohm value of the trace from the bottom side of R42 to pin 72 of U1, the large IC, and that should measure close to 0ohms. If not there's an open between them that needs fixed.

If all 4 of those tests are good, then the problem is U1, you can either toss the controller, or keep it for spare parts.

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,43204.0.html

« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 10:08:06 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline nelly91511

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 02:40:52 PM »
All I did was throw it and it hit the wall out of rage from a game lol not very smart but after that no response.do u need pics?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 02:46:26 PM »
You'd really have to wail it to knock the magnet loose, but that's where I'd look first knowing that bit of info now. Also, next time you might want to start off with that kind of detail so people don't have to go thru every possible thing that it could be that have nothing to do with abuse, which isn't the norm for a controller that's not working.

Offline nelly91511

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 02:57:19 PM »
Ya sorry bout  that should of said that from the git go..but I took it apart and if you're talking about the little magnet that makes contact with the little pad that did come out but I put it back and still no response, but I noticed when I pull the right trigger it responds before the magnet even touches so its something in between is my guess..

Guess I didnt read the part about the magnet going in a certain way..which way should it go?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:40:54 AM by Rodent »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 03:04:15 PM »
It can only go in 2 ways. If it's not working the way you have it, then flip it over.

Offline nelly91511

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 03:17:36 PM »
awesome that was it thanks alot! You're a life saver! Lol :tup:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:18:04 PM by nelly91511 »

Offline will38uk

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2022, 09:49:18 AM »
I've no idea what all was done to that controller, and since you've posted no pics of the area I've no idea what shape it's in. If the thing has been messed with then it could be any number of issues. If the Magnet isn't on the Trigger assembly then it's not going to work at all, so check that first. It also needs to be on there the correct way, so if it was removed and reinstalled, then it's on backwards.

You'll need to have the controller powered up to make these tests.

1 - Check the voltage between the A and B spots, it should measure around 1.3v or so. If not, then R37 or the trace between R37 and U11 is damaged.

2 - If it does measure around 1.3v, then check the voltage between B and the top side of R42, it should measure around 0.25v with the Trigger at Rest, then around 0.11v with the Trigger pulled. If you don't get any voltage swing when pulling the Trigger, then the Hall sensor is bad and needs replaced.

3 - If there is voltage swing, then check between B and the bottom side of R42, it should measure the same as in test 2, if not, then R39 is bad. If it measures good then go to 4.

4 - Remove power from the controller and check the Ohm value of the trace from the bottom side of R42 to pin 72 of U1, the large IC, and that should measure close to 0ohms. If not there's an open between them that needs fixed.

If all 4 of those tests are good, then the problem is U1, you can either toss the controller, or keep it for spare parts.

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,43204.0.html

I?m having trouble accessing the image in this link.

It takes me to the page with all your Photobucket uploads rather than the individual image

Would you kindly be able to tell me which image I should be looking at so I can follow the advice about A and B

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2022, 10:15:15 AM »
Fixed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal