Author Topic: Status of Xbox One controller rapidfire  (Read 3743 times)

Offline magic_man185

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +16/-0
  • Acidmods User
Status of Xbox One controller rapidfire
« on: March 10, 2014, 05:34:35 AM »
I was looking through the posts of the rapid fire research, and I am a little confused. RDC said something about how to hook it up in his scans post, and I saw something from SethMods about having to time it to the Hall sensor being powered. When using the method RDC mentions to hook a chip up, can you just drive the XBOne controller like the 360 controller, or is there more to it? I don't have a XBOne, but I was thinking about working on finishing my long forgotten rapidfire code in some free time I might have this week, and I figured it would be better to make it XBOne compatible if possible.

Thanks.

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
Re: Status of Xbox One controller rapidfire
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:09:54 AM »
You can drive it, but if your rapid fire relies on actually reading the triggers(i.e. Drop Shot) then you have to sync. Otherwise you try to read the triggers when they are powered down. (...which is most of the time.) The Halls are only powered up for a few milliseconds at a time.

Offline magic_man185

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +16/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »
Seth,

Thanks for the input. I am interested in reading the triggers to do a burst fire mode (3-round burst, etc.). Can you give me an idea how to go about syncing the signal?

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 02:38:33 PM »
Do a loop until you see the RT voltage go above .20V. Once you see that then wait for 480 uS to wait for the voltage to settle. At that point you can read the triggers. After you read the triggers then you can drive them (high for released, low for pulled). Wait for 600 uS before you stop driving them. Turn your pins to input. This is the point where the controller will be powering down the Hall Sensors so you don't want to be driving them when they don't have any power. Then start over looking for the next frame where the voltage will go over .20V.

Because you are dealing with frames you should use counters to do your timing. For instance if you want to hold something for 40ms, then make a counter that counts the frames and do it for 5 frames. (...as each frame is about 8ms.) Using the controller as your clock reference helps ensure that you never get out of sync.

Offline magic_man185

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +16/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:26:47 PM »
Wow, great info, thanks. That sounds simple and complicated at the same time, if that makes any sense, lol. The explanation is straight forward and it doesn't sound particularly difficult to understand the logic, but it will take a little trial and error to code. Also it doesn't help that I don't have an Xbox One to test with, lol. Maybe I will start my code on the 360 controller, and I can always add in the timing stuff later if I want to port it to the XBOne. I am taking a C++ programming class right now and I am learning how to implement classes, so maybe I can create a class for the XBOne stuff when I port it to make it a little less of a bear to work with.

On another note, are they still powered like a CG2, where there is no switched ground?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:29:01 PM by magic_man185 »

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 08:43:09 PM »
So I don't have a XB1 either. But for $100 you can get a new controller and a CronusMax. The CronusMax makes the controller think it is plugged into a console (among other things).

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean by "switched ground".

Offline magic_man185

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +16/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 04:26:34 AM »
Sorry, I must have been getting ahead of myself, I meant to say switched power. On the CG1 the power turned off with the controller, but the CG2 stayed on all the time. Yea the CronusMax is interesting, I see you can even use it for rapid fire on a controller. Definitely a cool little gadget.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 04:28:00 AM by magic_man185 »

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 09:49:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure power switches off with the controller.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 09:16:46 AM »
Correct, the 3.3v and 3.5v rails in the XB1 controller are switched.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal