Author Topic: miniDSm4pper  (Read 37674 times)

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
miniDSm4pper
« on: March 06, 2014, 05:01:53 PM »
Working on a miniM4pper for the DS4 controller here. Technically finished as it all works now, just polishing things up with it.

For any not familiar with the miniM4pper, it allows for button remapping on 2, 3 or 4 additionally installed Tact switches to any of the 8 main buttons, in this case X, O, [ ], /\, L1, R1, L3 and R3. It's pretty much the same deal that I made for the 360 and XB1 controllers.. https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,43205.0.html ..just finally redid it for the DS4.

I'm looking into doing a Flex PCB for this one, so it's for the most part a drop in install between the main and Daughter boards. Then it's only a 7 to 9 wire install, 2 for the LED, 2 for L3 and R3, then 3 to 5 wires for the Tacts depending on how many are installed, requires 2 minimum. Looking into Flex instead of needing to do a PITA all wire install on the tiny vias and such for something like this with the existing PCB.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 07:59:38 PM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

Re: miniDSm4pper
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:55:12 AM »
That's seriously awesome stuff right there! I would love to see your flex board if u go that route. I'm curious to how much a flex board would go for? Anyway great work. The minimappers are a great product!

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »
The DS4 code is all worked out now, has been for awhile actually I just haven't had time to update any of this, what fun that was though.

So the full miniM4pper code (now miniDSm4pper for the DS4) works on the controller, as well as an alternate code (m1niDSm4pper) that only allows 1 button per Tact to be remapped.

The miniDSm4pper code will allow multiple buttons per Tact, such as T1 = X+/\ or T2 = L1 +X+ O can be done.

The m1niDSm4pper code will allow only 1 button per Tact. You can remap multiples of the same button, so T1 = X and T2 = X is allowed, but you can not do multiple buttons per Tact, like T1 = X+O or T2 = O+L1, it will not allow that to be done. This is more of a Tournament thing or personal preference code.

The Flex I'm in the process of testing and finalizing now...

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:04:14 PM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:49:33 PM »
Sweet. Send me a pm when u plan on retailing them!

Offline TOicAD

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 12:36:43 AM »
How did this project take?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 02:23:05 AM »
The Flex boards are being made and should be here next month sometime for testing.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 03:20:13 PM »
Alrighty...

1 - These are NOT ready to go just yet. I'm still doing the final testing of the flex and only have that about half done at present, but so far so good aside from a small bug in code that's already been corrected.

2 - When these are ready to go I will update the thread again.

You should use a small piece of double sided tape to hold the flex down after it's bent over the PCB. It's not required, but will make things easier.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:00:49 PM by RDC »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 08:36:59 PM »
OK, testing is all done and everything is good to go.

Installation is about as painless as it can be, though some soldering is still required. There are a total of 3 wires that need to be soldered to the DS4 motherboard, L3, R3 and LED, and then the Tacts that you install.

This is shown installed on an -011, but the -020 install is the same. The -001 is a bit different as it has no TP spots for the LED, but everything else is the same, and the -011 and -020 are the more common boards out now anyway.

miniiDSm4pper connections.

LED+ = LED+
R3 = Right Stick button
L3 = Left Stick button
T4 = Tact 4
T3 = Tact 3
T2 = Tact 2
T1 = Tact 1
TG = Tact Ground (can alternately use any Ground on the controller)
MD = Mode
DD = D-pad Down

Take the shell apart and remove the back, take care with the flex cable and pay attention to the orientation so it can be plugged back in correctly. Also remove the battery, battery tray and disconnect the TouchPad cable. (not shown here as that info is all over already) Then lift and fold the motherboard out of the way.

Install the minDSm4pper face down, as pictured.

Reinstall the motherboard and it's screw and reconnect the TouchPad cable.

A small piece of double sided tape is not required, but very helpful for holding the flex down when it's bent over the back of the motherboard.

Folded over and tape holding it in place.

How everything should look at this point.

Areas you'll be soldering at.

The -011 and -020 boards have TP spots for the LEDs in the light bar, if you wish to use one of them. Just make sure to use around a 100ohm Resistor between the LED+ connection and which ever one of the Light Bar LEDs you choose. If you want to use your own LED you can do that also, and use the appropriate Resistor for a 3.2v source. 

All wired up, minus the Tacts, and using the Blue of the Light Bar for feedback. Make sure that wires stay away form any holes and the 4 white circles and 2 white rectangles as these are where braces from the battery tray and bottom of the shell touch the board, so you don't want to pinch any of them.

NOTE: Here I have made a solder jumper between MD and DD, so that D-pad Down is the Mode button. If you play any game that requires you to hold D-pad down and press the 2 buttons that you have remapped on T1 and T2 (the Tacts not the original buttons) at the same time, this will cause you to enter the remapping mode, as that's how it works, so be aware of this if you use DD for your Mode button. Alternately, you can use any other button on the controller that uses Ground for the common, Share, Options, Touch Pad or you can install your own Tact for Mode.

Tact installation is not shown as that's a personal preference for location as well as number. Tact 1 and Tact 2 must be installed for proper use, but T3 and T4 are optional. 

One possible look of a completed controller, this one anyway. ;) The Black Tacts are T1 and T2, Gray are T3 and T4. Again this is only how this one was done, they can be placed wherever you like, keeping in mind there are innards that need to be watched out for and/or modified so the shell will go back together.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW TO USE

NOTES:
From here on the Tact buttons will be referred to as T1, T2, T3 and T4.
The Mode Button and LED will be referred to as such, not what you wired them up to, because I've no idea what you used there.

CRS = Cross, X
CIR = Circle, O
SQR = Square, [ ]
TRI = Triangle, /\

Turn the controller on.

1 - Press and Hold T1 and T2.
2 - Tap the Mode Button, the LED will fade on and off.
3 - Release T1 and T2.

* From here on the miniDSm4pper is in the Remap Mode and any of the Tacts can be Remapped in any order you choose, for example, to Remap the CRS Button to T1 you would..

4 - Press and Hold the CRS Button.
5 - Tap T1, LED will flicker.
6 - Release the CRS Button.

* If you're done Remapping the Tact Buttons, you can Exit the Remap Mode by going to step 7, or you can continue to Remap the other Tact Buttons in the same manner by repeating steps 4, 5 and 6, just replace T1 with the Tact you wish to Remap and then use whatever button/s you want on it, for example, to Remap CRS and TRI together on T2 you would..

4 - Press and Hold CRS and TRI.
5 - Tap T2, LED will flicker.
6 - Release TRI and CRS.

NOTE: The 2 or more buttons per Tact can ONLY be done with the multi-button code. The Single button code does not allow this kind of remapping.

7 - Tap the Mode Button, the LED will fade off and on a few times while the Remaps are being saved, then the LED will turn off. The Remaps are now saved and they will be recalled if the controller is turned off. The Tact Buttons can now be used.

Now when T1 is pressed it's the same as pressing the CRS Button, and when T2 is pressed it's the same as pressing CRS and TRI together, again only if your miniDSm4pper has the multi-button code on it.

You can also disable a Tact Button by changing step 4 to not pressing any Button/s. For example, to disable T1, enter the Remap Mode like above, then..

4 - Do not press any of the Buttons on the controller.
5 - Press and Hold T1, the LED will blink.
6 - Release T1, the LED will go out.
7 - Tap the Mode Button to exit Remap Mode.

T1 is now blank and will do nothing when pressed. To use it again, just go thru the Remap steps like normal and choose the Button/s to use on it.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:05:50 PM by RDC »

Offline rafaliyo86

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 02:12:08 AM »
These buttons looks great, what kind are they?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 04:22:54 AM »
The very same plain old 6mm Tacts that most everyone uses, they just have caps on them. ;)

Offline TOicAD

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 01:58:10 AM »
prize?¿ ;)

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 03:35:16 AM »
You can PM me about them.

Offline rafaliyo86

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 07:19:07 AM »
RDC when you do the design of the flex board, the contacts which go to the pcb of the controller are made one by one? I mean, the conector of the ps4 controller (or the xbox one in the other case) isn´t in the design programs, no?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 09:18:08 AM »
They're not really made one by one, as that would take forever in some cases, so the tool in the application lets you design a row or array a bit faster than that, but yes I have measured and designed my own connector footprints for the DS4 and XB1 controllers for these boards.

Offline rafaliyo86

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 04:49:06 AM »
How do you measure those small things? (Pads, holes, etc). Because a rule is too big XD

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 05:02:27 AM »
Depends on the ruler you're using, as a machinists ruler is capable of measuring them, but I use a digital caliper.

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 02:15:51 AM »
I sent you a PM about possibly purchasing some of these

Offline R3neg4desR00st

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »
Am interested in purchasing some of these as well.

Offline foodguyver

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 02:23:26 PM »
Also interested

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 02:46:17 PM »
PMs sent.

Offline R3neg4desR00st

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 06:31:48 PM »
Is there an option to add tact switch's for L2/R2, another extension to this flex board. Am looking at trying to do trigger stops under the Triggers rather then adding in screws etc...

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 07:06:27 PM »
If you mean for remapping, no.

If you mean so you can add in a dedicated Tact to be L2/R2, also no, as it was never a consideration back when this was designed.

The Simple Flex for the JDM-030 boards would let you add a dedicated Tact for L2/R2, but only on a JDM-030, and I'm working on the RemappeD Flex for the JDM-030 that also allows a dedicated Tact for L2/R2.

Offline EmielcpNL

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 07:59:41 AM »
can i buy some too?

Thanks!

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 09:03:58 AM »
I want more info on these "caps" Please.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 10:52:10 AM »
@ EmielcpNL - Replied to your PM.

@ Modded Matt - Those were sent to me, but you can get them from eBay. Tact Caps, 3.2mm hole.

Offline i7vSa7vi7y

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +4/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 04:33:25 PM »
Yeah those caps are nice

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2016, 07:08:19 PM »
just got thius all hooked up on a 040 and it works great!

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 03:14:41 AM »
This is a bit old, but are these modules still available? The back shells for the DAWN remap kits have gone onto half off, and i'm interested in a few modules.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 04:43:06 AM »
PM sent.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal