Author Topic: Help buying a tablet PC!!  (Read 3592 times)

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
Help buying a tablet PC!!
« on: February 17, 2014, 07:55:46 AM »
I'm looking to buy the best tablet PC. Money is not an issue.

I would prefer a Samsung tablet with Windows 7
Anything with an i5 Processor with 4GB of RAM [or Better!]
SSD Hard drive size is not critical
Screen size: Anything between 10" and 16" I don't care as long as it's not too big. Highest resolution screen available would be nice.

This tablet PC is for work when so I can modify schematics/floor plans/take notes. So this will have to be able to run AutoCAD 2014 with no hesitation.
Edit: AutoCAD is not usually graphics intensive, it's memory and processor intensive.

I would like your suggestions and opinions guys (:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:57:14 AM by FOOKz™ »

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline The End of A Heartache

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
Re: Help buying a tablet PC!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
Sounds like you might need to do more research

A tablet is not a laptop or PC,  a tablet is more versatile and portable but only has 3 different operating system: Android, Ios or window RM (window 8 minus desktop)

Most tablet only offer 2 to 4Gb DDR3 RAM and an atomic dual core or single core atomic processor (about 1.8Ghz to 2.2Ghz)

What you seek sounds more like a laptop but most of all window laptop are either window 8 or 8.1. Since the key is attached to the Bios you will be able to downgrade to window 7 at any time and go back to window 8 as long as you have the OS or a backup.

Most tablet screen size goes from 7in up to i believe 12in and the high resolution can be anywhere from 780x900 to 1040x960

If you want to run auto cad you won't be able to on a tablet since it is resource demanding your better off on a Laptop with 6 to 8 Gb of RAM and an i7 processor will do a lot better with quad core would cut it with parallel processing to do not only cad but media and or other things.

If "money is not an issue" i suggest you build your own PC with the power to run auto cad design. I know it is not portable but will be versatile and can easily be upgradeable.

I am running an 8core amd FX AM3+ processor with 4 core dedicated 2 core parallel (OC 4.2Ghz), 8Gb TAM DDR3 1600Mhz  I am able to not only run auto cad but video editing without lags especially with a radeon 6850 Graphic card.

...emo freak out! >.< ........

random is fun

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 02:27:22 PM »
Using a laptop and building a PC is not an option.

I want the portability of a tablet with the power of a high-end laptop.

So you're saying if i buy a window's 8 tablet i can downgrade to window 7 - i like that... i'll consider more devices.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 02:57:49 PM »
Have you considered a convertible? They have docking keyboards that usually contain a battery, and sometimes improved hardware when docked. There are also some really slim laptops that have touch-screens capable of closing such that they face outwards, so you can use it as a tablet. If you really want full windows (not RT), I would take a hybrid over a tablet any day of the week. Not a fan of most windows 8 tablets right now, either trash hardware or trash battery life.

I would recommended staying away from windows 7 on touch screen devices, it's not a good experience at all, although it may be daunting it's worth getting used to windows 8.

To be fair I have only tried windows 8 tablets, never owned one, I use a nexus 10 :P.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:01:57 PM by GhoSt »
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline The End of A Heartache

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 08:07:14 PM »
Using a laptop and building a PC is not an option.

I want the portability of a tablet with the power of a high-end laptop.

So you're saying if i buy a window's 8 tablet i can downgrade to window 7 - i like that... i'll consider more devices.

actually that option to downgrade is only for pc my friend none tablet...If you find one that does have the power of a PC let me know cause from what I do know that is very none existence in a tablet.

Have you considered a convertible? They have docking keyboards that usually contain a battery, and sometimes improved hardware when docked. There are also some really slim laptops that have touch-screens capable of closing such that they face outwards, so you can use it as a tablet. If you really want full windows (not RT), I would take a hybrid over a tablet any day of the week. Not a fan of most windows 8 tablets right now, either trash hardware or trash battery life.

I would recommended staying away from windows 7 on touch screen devices, it's not a good experience at all, although it may be daunting it's worth getting used to windows 8.

To be fair I have only tried windows 8 tablets, never owned one, I use a nexus 10 :P.

I would agree with GhoSt, look for a hybrid or ultra/slim books they that the portability you are looking for with touch screen and keyboard touchpad with multi gesture feature.

Battery life in a ultra book is amazing though most run google OS there has been know of people reinstalling the U-EFI and overwrite google OS to install window 8. Though for what you're asking to use it for... you might not be able to run cad without being very laggy, and all slims are CNC'd aluminum shell which can also get very hot or OS will freeze (due to over demanding resource and processor usage) 

You might as well wait for advance in technology before seeking something so demanding in something that does not power up and compare to the awesome power of a tower or notebook.
...emo freak out! >.< ........

random is fun

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 11:49:08 AM »
@ FOOKz:

If you are looking for a Tablet PC that you could downgrade to Windows 7, you could purchase the Surface 2 Pro or the Surface 3 Pro, both of which run a full x86 & x64 architecture that can be used on almost any OS that supports the UEFI BIOS.

So Surface 3 base model is $799 USD and currently and offers:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.5 GHz Quad Core (i3-4020Y) (i3 has both x86 and x64 capabilities) (Upgraded models offer both i5 @ 1.9GHz and i7 @ 1.7GHz Processors)

Intel HD 4200 GPU (Upgrade bumps it to Intel HD 4400 GPU and Intel HD 5000 GPU)

4GB DDR3 RAM (Highest Upgrade bumps it to 8GB DDR3 RAM)

64GB SD-Flash Storage (Higher models have full replaceable 128GB, 256GB and 512GB 1.8" SSD's)

12-inch Full HD+ IPS (2160 x 1440, 216 ppi with 10-point touch) screen with 3:2 aspect ratio

Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, BlueTooth 4.0

1 x USB 3.0, 1 x microSD slot, 1 x mini DisplayPort, 1 x  3mm Audio Jack

5MP Front & Rear Camera's

9 Hours Battery Life (Extended on Upgraded Models up to ~12 Hours)

Full Windows 8.1 Professional (UEFI + Recovery Partition Access via Hardware Button Combo)

No Windows Store Restrictions (Ex: RT Versions cant use unsigned .exe files due to an ARM CPU architecture)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So especially for a Tablet-PC its currently quite powerful, and is the only Tablet to offer full x86 and x64 capabilities.

I currently have the Surface 2 RT version, so I'm a bit disappointed by its limitations but all in all it runs very smoothly alongside my Note 2 and PC (PC via Remote Access).

But in the end its really dependent on what you expect to get out of it while using it.

- Crumbz
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:50:51 AM by Crumbz »

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 04:21:29 PM »
Windows RT doesn't support AutoCAD. I already have a windows surface pro 2.

I looked into all of the possibilities and what I need is not available with current technology.

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 06:09:32 AM »
Well yes because dosent AutoCAD run on 3GB RAM to start with?

And well the Samsung Galaxy 10.2 or 12 both come with an Exynos 5 CPU (Octa Core) @ 1.9GHz and a Muai GPU (Quad Core) @ 1.7GHz, and 3GB RAM.

But if the RAm limitation bothers you you can use up to 4GB (<--- Android Stock Kernel Limitation) of memory on an Micro SD Card as a SWAP Partition as long as you have ROOT on the device.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 06:11:10 AM by Crumbz »

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 10:13:01 AM »
Well yes because dosent AutoCAD run on 3GB RAM to start with?

And well the Samsung Galaxy 10.2 or 12 both come with an Exynos 5 CPU (Octa Core) @ 1.9GHz and a Muai GPU (Quad Core) @ 1.7GHz, and 3GB RAM.

But if the RAm limitation bothers you you can use up to 4GB (<--- Android Stock Kernel Limitation) of memory on an Micro SD Card as a SWAP Partition as long as you have ROOT on the device.

Windows RT isn't even windows as you know it. For example if you download Google Chrome and try to install it to a Windows RT device it won't happen because Microsoft designed the kernel so it locks out x86 applications.

For the Samsung Galaxy 10.2, they run android. Same problem with Android as with Windows RT.

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 11:49:42 AM »
Yes unfortunatly im all too aware of that fact as i have a Surface 2 RT that my school gave me for my tuition

But the Pro versions have x86 programs unlocked because its an Intel processor not an ARM processor lol. Im so mad at Microsoft i just want them to replace my Surface RT with a Pro for free because thats how :censored:ty it is.

Runs great as a tablet but NOT a Tablet-PC as they claim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal