Author Topic: Controller Analog Stick Drift  (Read 3348 times)

Offline ClormsCorsino

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Controller Analog Stick Drift
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:32:59 AM »
Hey guys,

I've been trying to repair a few Xbox remotes that suffer from the common analog drift problem.  After inspecting the analog switch, it seems they don't return perfectly to center after being gently pushed in a direction.  This slight deviation from center (maybe 5 degrees) is enough for the xbox to read as user input.

I went ahead and ordered a direct replacement from Mouser (ALPS RKJXP1224002) but found these too would drift slightly in the left direction.  I'm wondering if the xbox controllers/games are just too unforgiving when it comes to analog deadzones or perhaps I just got some from a bad batch?  Is there any way to test these for drift without soldering them in first?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Controller Analog Stick Drift
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 04:19:08 PM »
It's a combination of the Stick's mechanics and games that cause drift. Some Sticks aren't as good at centering up, then the Dead Zone that's coded into the game plays a part. Some controllers just seem to be more picky than others too, and the only thing you can try there is another Stick.

There's nothing to be done about the Dead Zone coded up in the game until Developers put in that option, which will most likely never happen.

If the Stick doesn't center back up close enough then there's really only one thing you can try there.

You can try to recenter the POT on the thing, but that could cause it to drift in the opposite direction depending on how bad the thing actually is.

Remove the POT from the Stick.

Cut off the 3 small posts that are in the corners with an X-acto knife.

Replace the POT on the Stick.

Now the POT has some 'play' in it where you can try to get a better centering spot. Means soldering it up, testing and then then adjusting it at least 1 time, but if the centering isn't really horrible it'll work.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:32:40 AM »
I have never had any luck changing the sticks out. It almost seems like the controller is calibrated to each stick it has installed. I have done relocation, without any issue, but every time I try to replace one, they  always drift or react poorly. I have a pile of controllers with bad sticks, and I have a bunch of new sticks from mouser, but I gave up.

I now tell all customers, if the sticks are bad, its time to replace the controller. even to the point of transplanting the mod chip to a new controller. I do some repairs for viking and I have to charge them the price of a new controller for the price of the stick replacement, and I just transplant the mod chip. (its easier than trying to explain)

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:03:04 AM »
What game(s) are you using for testing or have noticed the most issue with replacement Sticks?

I've always had a suspicion that the controllers were calibrated with whatever Sticks/Triggers were installed in them from the factory, but never did any extensive testing to see if that held any water. Back when the 360 was released and I did Trigger swaps I noticed that no two controllers were the same and sometimes a swap would mean an adjustment to make things work right with them, but Sticks didn't become and issue until a little later.

That seems a very, very stupid thing to do, so it's entirely possible it's what the deal is with them.

@ Modded Matt - I've yet to see one that trying at most a few different Sticks in didn't eventually hit on one that worked, but if you still have some of these controllers around I'd like to take a look at a few of them. Wire up a PIC with DAC in there and see what voltages they start to show movement on compared to each other.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline ClormsCorsino

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 03:05:37 AM »
I'll try readjusting the pot a little later today, but i'm worried the pots leads wont lineup with the through holes if it's slightly askew.  It's probably negligible though.

I use 3 games to test the sticks:

Gears of War (large deadzones, usually no drift)
Call of Duty: Black ops (small deadzones; minor drift)
Any Xbox Arcade game (smallest deadzones: noticeable drift)

You guys may be on to something with the controllers being calibrated to the original sticks at the factory.  I've pulled perfectly good working sticks from donor boards only to have them drift once installed in a new board.  Felt like I was taking crazy pills or something.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 06:00:06 AM »
You guys may be on to something with the controllers being calibrated to the original sticks at the factory.  I've pulled perfectly good working sticks from donor boards only to have them drift once installed in a new board.  Felt like I was taking crazy pills or something.

this^^^

Offline ClormsCorsino

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 12:36:22 PM »
I've gone ahead and tried RDC's suggestion of re-centering the pot on the analog sticks and it seems to have worked like a charm.

I did find i had to provide a little torque to the pots housing (the colored shell portion) itself while soldering to get it to "stick", and i did have some trouble getting the leads in the through holes, but otherwise it was smooth sailing.

It's a shame to have to do this to factory new parts, but what are you gonna do?  Thanks again for all the help guys.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal