Author Topic: PSP only powers on when plugged in via USB [help]  (Read 3686 times)

Offline TR4G-

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0

PSP only powers on when plugged in via USB [help]
« on: May 14, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »
Hey guys been a long while since I've been around here  :cool:

Here's my issue, although I have a psp 3000, I honestly prefer the functionality of the psp phat (irshell with ir remote, and all around better compatibility with CFW). My current psp phat has the USB power mod and I've actually removed the regular charging port altogether. My issue is that it will only turn on if I have it plugged into my comp via USB, and at that, I have to try multiple times and usually it only works with the battery removed. The battery works, because once it powers on, I simply remove the USB plug, put the battery in (if it was out) and the psp functions perfectly. The battery has about 2 hours of charge on it, and it charges when plugged in via USB.

Now, if I put it to sleep, it still will not turn back on, so this is not a power completely off issue, its anytime it is suspended or turned off....

lets see what else.....

ive narrowed it down to a hardware or CFW issue because the behavior does not change if I remove the memory stick.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? My next step is to completely remove my CFW 5.00 m33-6 to troubleshoot if it occurs on OFW, but I really dont feel like doing that at this point....

any ideas?

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
Re: PSP only powers on when plugged in via USB [help]
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
I have no clue bro. I would say it may be a hardware issue. At first I was thinking maybe a short some where but if the batt can be added later with no issues then.. I would go ahead and double check all your work and make sure of no bridging or bad connections. I do not think CFW would cause that but I am not sure..

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:34:41 PM »
My brain points to the battery. when they system first starts, the initial load on the battery is going to be much higher when starting up or resuming from a sleep state than when it is already up and running. This would be the amperage rating of the battery.

Offline TR4G-

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:44:05 PM »
interesting point. Main problem is that I'm at college currently and dont have access to my other batteries or systems. (i have a stupid amount of psps at home lol)

It has been working for years, so It should be the internal connections of the USB charge (only one wire, and considering it funcitons)

its the 1800mAh battery. is there any test I can run with a multimeter or something?

Or should I simply try other batteries at this point (sucks gamestop doesnt stock poor old phatty accessories)

Offline TR4G-

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »
eh, i think Im just gonna go ahead and suffer not having my IR port for now :(

does anyone know of a music plugin for 6.60 that successfully mutes in game audio? all the ones I try never work in that area

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 07:01:14 PM »
Hey guys been a long while since I've been around here  :cool:

Here's my issue, although I have a psp 3000, I honestly prefer the functionality of the psp phat (irshell with ir remote, and all around better compatibility with CFW). My current psp phat has the USB power mod and I've actually removed the regular charging port altogether. My issue is that it will only turn on if I have it plugged into my comp via USB, and at that, I have to try multiple times and usually it only works with the battery removed. The battery works, because once it powers on, I simply remove the USB plug, put the battery in (if it was out) and the psp functions perfectly. The battery has about 2 hours of charge on it, and it charges when plugged in via USB.

Now, if I put it to sleep, it still will not turn back on, so this is not a power completely off issue, its anytime it is suspended or turned off....

lets see what else.....

ive narrowed it down to a hardware or CFW issue because the behavior does not change if I remove the memory stick.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? My next step is to completely remove my CFW 5.00 m33-6 to troubleshoot if it occurs on OFW, but I really dont feel like doing that at this point....

any ideas?

sounds like a battery that's gone bad. i would get a spare from a friend a try. battery should boot PSP even if there is no USB port or charge port. You can charge the battery without the PSP. I would say bridge your USB fuse but you're obviously getting power through it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal