Author Topic: cooling after mod  (Read 4636 times)

Offline kasek

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
cooling after mod
« on: April 24, 2013, 08:29:39 PM »
hi i was looking to get one of the bitspower universal cooling after mods but dont like the 50$ price. Does anyone know how to make a cheaper one from radioshack or where to get a similar version for cheaper

thanks

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
Re: cooling after mod
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 05:29:46 AM »
Not sure but A simple circuit with a few big power caps should give a similar effect.

Just another idea, If you have a newer style mobo you can draw power from the USB ports even after shutdown. I am fairly sure you can either use a timer system or even do it manually.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of system and what speeds you will be running that requires after cooling?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:33:56 AM by ViSioNXx »

Offline kasek

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
im not runnig anything top of the line
if got windows 7 64bit, asus sabertooth z77 mobo, three hddds, 2 dvd drives, radeon 5970 hd (want to upgrade it soon), I realize i dont NEED an after cooling mod but figured it cAnt hurt. My last two computers died from getting over heated. That also happened cuz i had no extra fans this new comp has 9 fans lol. Anyways i just figured if it was easy id give it a try unfortunately im not good with making schems and stuff or following them but can follow videos and can solder. So i thought maybe someone had made one before id try.

Offline kingnba6

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 08:26:27 AM »
some PSU actually have an after cooling effect. try to find one. if you dont want to do that, then you can always had capacitors?

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 06:54:37 PM »
im not runnig anything top of the line
if got windows 7 64bit, asus sabertooth z77 mobo, three hddds, 2 dvd drives, radeon 5970 hd (want to upgrade it soon), I realize i dont NEED an after cooling mod but figured it cAnt hurt. My last two computers died from getting over heated. That also happened cuz i had no extra fans this new comp has 9 fans lol. Anyways i just figured if it was easy id give it a try unfortunately im not good with making schems and stuff or following them but can follow videos and can solder. So i thought maybe someone had made one before id try.

Most people don't need an after cooling.  In my opinion, the only place an after cooling mod should be used is in a desert or in space.  Anywhere else is just a way of saying "I have money and want to go overkill."  When I went to Haiti, they had a computer which needed it because the winds were stagnant in the middle of the day and would make the system overheat.  What likely killed your computers was a bad fan on the CPU cooler.  A CPU can't produce any heat after it's been shut off, so the only time it could have been damaged by heat was while it was on, not cooling down.  My computer is in an Antec Lanboy Air and has more than enough fans to keep the CPU cool even if the main fan on my radiator dies.  I have a Vantage ALC which is a liquid cooled closed loop with 1 120mm radiator.  I used to be on air cooling, but I upgraded because my room gets hot in the summer.  If you don't mind, where do you live and what kind of CPU cooler are you using?  If you are using the stock CPU coolers, upgrade immediately!!! In the mean time, make sure your cables are well managed and out of the air flow.  When I built my PC I spent 3 hours on rerouting cables and have redone it about 4 times now.  There are no cables in the main part of the case, they are all zip tied to the sides.  Whenever I see a PC overheat, I try to reroute the cables before trying anything else.  Another thing to look at is where your PC is.  I don't put it anywhere that could block the airflow or make the hot air build up behind the case.

I know that's a lot of stuff to look at, but I would check those before you spend money on anything else.  The cable management will take the longest, but it pays off in looks and functionality.

My setup: Intel core i7 OC'd to 4ghz, nvidia GTX465, 120gb SSD, 160gb HDD, 2 1tb HDDs, and an 850w PSU.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal