Author Topic: Comcast Punishes BitTorrent Pirates  (Read 28411 times)

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
Comcast Punishes BitTorrent Pirates
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:36:12 AM »
Comcast revealed today how it will deal with customers who receive multiple warnings under the newly launched “six-strikes” anti-piracy system. After four alerts the ISP will “hijack” web-browsers of suspected serial pirates with a persistent pop-up notification, making it impossible to browse the Internet. The pop-up will disappear after the customer “resolves the issue” with a Customer Security Assurance professional.
 Earlier this week when the six strikes system launched, little was known (officially) about the punishments ISPs were planning for persistent pirates.
Since then Verizon reinstated their copyright alerts section, revealing the mitigation measured that leaked last month. Today Comcast follows with a brief overview on how they will handle things.
In common with other ISPs, Comcast will start out with friendly alerts informing customers that their account has been used to share copyrighted material. After four warnings, repeated offenders will then enter the “mitigation phase” during which their service will be interrupted.
Comcast has chosen a browser “hijack,” making it impossible for customers to browse the Internet, but without interrupting VOIP and other essential services.
“If a consumer fails to respond to several Copyright Alerts, Comcast will place a persistent alert in any web browser under that account until the account holder contacts Comcast’s Customer Security Assurance professionals to discuss and help resolve the matter,” Comcast writes.

First alert

How quickly customers will be able to resolve the matter and what they will have to do remains a mystery. However, the ISP stresses that no accounts will be terminated under the copyright alert program.
“We will never use account termination as a mitigation measure under the CAS. We have designed the pop-up browser alerts not to interfere with any essential services obtained over the Internet.”
Comcast further assures its customers that the browser hijack system has been tested for years, and that it should work smoothly.
“The browser alert system has been tested for years by Comcast as part of our program to alert our subscribers when their Internet access device is infected by a malicious bot, and the alert technology is now being deployed for this purpose,” Comcast explains.
In addition, the ISP emphasizes that the privacy is secured, up to a certain degree.
“We’ve worked with the Center for Copyright Information and outside experts in privacy, education and consumer rights to design the Copyright Alert System in a way that will safeguard our customers’ privacy and ensure we don’t share any personal customer information under this system with anyone.”
Comcast can be asked to hand over IP-addresses of persistent infringers, and the ISP acknowledges that copyright holders can then obtain a subpoena to reveal the personal details of the account holder for legal action.
Provided that doesn’t happen, the measures should seem rather reasonable to most.
A group that wont be happy with the new regime is the Open Wireless Movement. The tens of thousands of people who share their Internet connection with neighbors or complete strangers will no longer be able to do so.
Conversely, VPN providers and BitTorrent proxies can look forward to new clientele.
During the weeks to come we hope to learn more about the efficiency of the copyright alert system, and how the various alerts and mitigation measures work in the wild.

google.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:36:41 AM by whitetop »
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline Mogler

• Research & Development
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +11/-0
  • Seeding bittorrents like a digital pimp, son.
    • Indie Game Zone
Re: Comcast Punishes BitTorrent Pirates
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 06:03:27 PM »
Time to get rid of comcast

Youtube: CallawayINC
Blog: Mogler

Offline Tracey

• That Blonde Bitch
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Save all the bunnies!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:57:35 AM »
Fingers crossed in hopes of Cox not joining this bandwagon.
*****Kokomo won't play your games!*****

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 02:44:02 PM »
This is why you don't use torrents

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 04:33:25 PM »
This is why you don't use torrents

its not just torrent froshbite,limewire cracked,torrent,clearnet,dcc,ddc,ftp. ect

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
When does it actually go into affect cuz i have comcast.
You really think they can trace what im doing if im using everything that can block traces of me using it?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:49:03 AM by Blazinkaos »

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 12:10:58 PM »
When does it actually go into affect cuz i have comcast.
You really think they can trace what im doing if im using everything that can block traces of me using it?

as long as your using there service not even a vpn will work that's what people don't understand. while your on there connection masking stuff does not work not even for the gov as most have noticed(wikileaks)

it has been in affect since 1st march.

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:21:17 PM »
Thats a bunch of crap.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 12:13:09 AM »
as long as your using there service not even a vpn will work that's what people don't understand. while your on there connection masking stuff does not work not even for the gov as most have noticed(wikileaks)

it has been in affect since 1st march.

If the traffic between You and the VPN are encrypted then your ISP can not exactly figure out what you're up too.

The VPN server may use an internet provider who doesn't care about piracy- which is the whole point of getting one lol

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 08:06:03 AM »

If the traffic between You and the VPN are encrypted then your ISP can not exactly figure out what you're up too.

The VPN server may use an internet provider who doesn't care about piracy- which is the whole point of getting one lol

lol na sorry fookz encryption is not really that since 256 was cracked last month so 128 and 256 are nothing that can hide you.

while your using your isp connection you will have  your isp knowing what you are doing even if it shows on your's and vpn side as encrypted, im not sure people really understand no matter what you use or try your isp will know what your doing, isp's have alreay said it since the connection is from there servers - your pc- there servers - to host servers and using free or public vpn's do not help ever. just ask your isp they will say they cannot tell you or have the rights or info to tell or know what your downloading but everything you do on the internet is logged .

you think its a joke just ask just say your having problems with your wifi and think ones using it outside your house and would like to know a few files they have downloaded even with you using a vpn.

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »
Well looks like im going to have to upgrade my phone to 4g and start hotspot -_-.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 03:15:42 AM »

lol na sorry fookz encryption is not really that since 256 was cracked last month so 128 and 256 are nothing that can hide you.

while your using your isp connection you will have  your isp knowing what you are doing even if it shows on your's and vpn side as encrypted, im not sure people really understand no matter what you use or try your isp will know what your doing, isp's have alreay said it since the connection is from there servers - your pc- there servers - to host servers and using free or public vpn's do not help ever. just ask your isp they will say they cannot tell you or have the rights or info to tell or know what your downloading but everything you do on the internet is logged .

you think its a joke just ask just say your having problems with your wifi and think ones using it outside your house and would like to know a few files they have downloaded even with you using a vpn.

There are smart people who know a little bit of cryptanalysis who can get around it! What about custom encryption? If the client and server have the unique encryption installed on both systems then nobody can sniff traffic.

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 05:06:04 AM »

There are smart people who know a little bit of cryptanalysis who can get around it! What about custom encryption? If the client and server have the unique encryption installed on both systems then nobody can sniff traffic.

sorry but you still dont get it the files are encrypted for privacy reasons yet your isp (normal house connections) still know everything if you dont want people knowing make your own isp or just keep moving around hotspots and hiding your tracks there is a lot of info on hacking sites for one to know this stuff.

while you still got a connection to your isp you still show what you are doing.  a friend was using alot of stuff to hide his tracks peer blockers line encryption everything you know what he still got busted and lucky its just for piracy now tell me even with all this stuff and all the hacking info he knew how did his isp still know what he was doing.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 05:16:15 AM »
sorry but you still dont get it the files are encrypted for privacy reasons yet your isp (normal house connections) still know everything if you dont want people knowing make your own isp or just keep moving around hotspots and hiding your tracks there is a lot of info on hacking sites for one to know this stuff.

while you still got a connection to your isp you still show what you are doing.  a friend was using alot of stuff to hide his tracks peer blockers line encryption everything you know what he still got busted and lucky its just for piracy now tell me even with all this stuff and all the hacking info he knew how did his isp still know what he was doing.

No you can still get away with it! When you use a custom built encryption algorithm that only the VPN and the client knows then it is nearly impossible for anyone else to know what is going on. The ISP can only speculate because the large volume of data being transferred. Not all encryption is powerful enough to hide large file transfers.

Say I downloaded a file that was chopped up into many parts and pieces were downloaded occasionally. How will the ISP know? They can't.

Offline snowcolt17

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
  • If all else fails, reflow it
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 05:32:00 AM »

No you can still get away with it! When you use a custom built encryption algorithm that only the VPN and the client knows then it is nearly impossible for anyone else to know what is going on. The ISP can only speculate because the large volume of data being transferred. Not all encryption is powerful enough to hide large file transfers.

Say I downloaded a file that was chopped up into many parts and pieces were downloaded occasionally. How will the ISP know? They can't.

you go first and tell us how it goes.

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 05:49:27 AM »
ok take tor nice way to surf the web unnoticed but its not 100% safe as like i said last month the encryption was broken. 128 and 256 and these encryption was not great anyway as with this one software once it detects a encrypted drive ect it can emulate the drive and open the drive showing everything in that drive even the files in the hidden drive, not very good for privacy terms.

now with tor that breaks down the files into many bits these are not full encrypted. even with the gov using tor its still not safe and due to bad edit nodes and hosts once you connect to a host they know your ip.address every thing. and torrent brakes everything down into 2mb-5mb up bits depending how you set it up and if your use a vpn or proxy now this can be encrypted but not full so your pc can pack it up once it gets that part.

like i say while you got a connection to your isp they will have every bit of info you have done search clicks downloads ect this was put in force so the gov can look into what people are doing and keep evidence of anything to use to improve there service or if courts ask for logs they can just get them.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 06:40:20 AM »
TOR uses open-source encryption algorithms; anybody can generate 'rainbow tables' and use 'hash collisions'. Thats why ISPs can easily decrypt your traffic.

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 06:52:16 AM »
it was a example fookz.
tor is not just open source have a good look around

TOR uses open-source encryption algorithms; anybody can generate 'rainbow tables' and use 'hash collisions'. Thats why ISPs can easily decrypt your traffic.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 07:50:07 AM »
it was a example fookz.
tor is not just open source have a good look around

Didn't know that TOR wasn't open-source but it might as well be open source because it is free for anyone to download or reverse-engineer.

It took years to fully crack SHA-2 encryption.

Imagine if you use your own custom encryption that is equally as strong as SHA-2! They would only catch you IF they knew the encryption algorithm.

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 09:54:29 AM »
only took year for SHA-2 cos if you read up the people that cracked it did not really take long its just not everyone who cracked it had much time on there hands to do so.

now with the new backdoor software for encryption they are starting on the the rest of the bits and they even say due to its not really that hard to crack give or take about 6- 12 months for the 512bit one so if simple coders from russia can crack this stuff what you think the gov can do with so my hackers/coders .

if you pay for tor you get better encryption while downloading or browsing but on the open source one that is full open to hackers ect is not even worth a download or space on the hdd for one to think is safe

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »
only took year for SHA-2 cos if you read up the people that cracked it did not really take long its just not everyone who cracked it had much time on there hands to do so.

now with the new backdoor software for encryption they are starting on the the rest of the bits and they even say due to its not really that hard to crack give or take about 6- 12 months for the 512bit one so if simple coders from russia can crack this stuff what you think the gov can do with so my hackers/coders .

if you pay for tor you get better encryption while downloading or browsing but on the open source one that is full open to hackers ect is not even worth a download or space on the hdd for one to think is safe

if you increase bits on the same algorithm it doesn't do any good mathematically speaking--It only buys you extra time before it gets cracked again. That's why you create a new algorithm that's solid enough to stand the test of time.

In all cases algorithms that are released publicly whether intended or not will be susceptible to brute force attack.

But yeah everyone needs to step up their game if they want keep their crap anonymous.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 12:24:16 PM »
Meanwhile, I am still downloading movie files from KAT everyday...

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 12:43:40 PM »
Meanwhile, I am still downloading movie files from KAT everyday...

i did till people i know was getting busted if your doing torrent ill warn everyone torrentleech is not a good site and will give all your info out the gov run.

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 02:52:26 PM »
So from all this breaking it down just no use of trying to go and finding anything or starting anything that keep them from seeing what we do now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal