Author Topic: M$ detecting MenuISO for xk3y [Disable it and use the remote  (Read 4575 times)

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
M$ detecting MenuISO for xk3y [Disable it and use the remote
« on: January 29, 2013, 04:09:15 AM »
NO ONE HAS BEEN BANNED FOR USING XK3Y, SO DONT USE THIS POST FOR TROLLING. THIS TOPIC IS FOR DEFENDING XK3Y USERS OF POSSIBLE FUTURE BANS.

Yes, it can be true. But be cool we have the remote, but wasabi users are in a hurry, how will they select games?

This was posted in keyforums, and was confirmed by theArtificer and Zephir, developers of xk3y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ns1d3r
A word of warning.

MS is successfully (indirectly) detecting some xk3ys in testing. I have seen this first hand, leave it at that.

Don't panic: they aren't able to directly detect (yet, anyhow), but by comparing hashes of names and hashes of pictures (all similar white squares or "ISO selected, open tray to proceed" folder names) in the Mixed Media Disc option enabled by MenuISO. See where this is going?

Filenames contained within Mixed Media Discs are hashed and compared against a database of ISOs available on P2P, Usenet, etc..
If you're using the xk3y MenuISO and accept a future dash update, there's a very good chance that you'll get whacked by the banhammer. So far detection of the xk3y itself has been unsuccessful, this is a round-about way they are currently testing and getting ready to implement. There are also measures to deal with Wasabi as well, but I don't give a rat's *** about them. Let them find out the hard way.

The solution is simple: don't use MenuISO. Get off the couch.
Zephyr's Statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr
I believe in the beginning it was always stated that the MENUISO could easily be blocked by M$. I believe it was posted a few times to "enjoy it while it lasts" if I remember correctly.

Logically if they can disable the MENUISO in an update it means they can probably also detect it.... If it can be detected then it means they can punish you (ban you) if they see fit.

I guess, assuming this information is true, that it means M$ have been / are working on a way to do something about xkey... Which is no secret and makes sense... One of the security team or the like from M$ (tubinic or whatever the name was - the one who created the jTag and is now working for M$) already requested some of the source code under the GPL etc... I am sure that the skill of that dude would have already decoded / reverse engineered the rootfs and uimage files too (pure speculation on my part but the skills to do so are there so it makes sense logically it would have been done by now)

People can only be banned when they connect to live and not from the firmware update itself - get flagged yes but not banned until connection made (as far as I am aware)... If this is true... Stay off live and you don't get banned... Xkey was never deemed Xbox live safe

P.s I don't use MENUISO (only ever use xkey o beta test to be honest - prefer my non modded 100% live safe console and all my achievements) but does the bone also apply to the DVDmenu and wifi dongle / web interface...?
As i write this disabled immediately menuISO, recommend you all do the same.

Stay tunned... and help keep we all up to M$ anti-piracy team next steps.

SOURCE: k3yforums.com
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 05:28:02 AM by whitetop »
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
Re: M$ detecting MenuISO for xk3y [Disable it and use the remote
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:40:44 AM »
That is some really good info Thanks for posting whitetop

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods