Author Topic: IPv4 net address river runs dry  (Read 5272 times)

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
IPv4 net address river runs dry
« on: September 17, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »
Quick! Run around, panic, place your head in the sand, we've ran out of IPv4 web addresses! It's the end of the internet as we know it. OK... not quite, truthfully it's more of a notable point in history, though could cause issues for some ISPs, particularly smaller firms with out-dated hardware and limited budgets.

For every device on the internet, be it a PC, tablet or smartphone, there's a unique address, known as an IPv4 (Internet Protocol version 4) address. When the IPv4 standard was established in 1981, the notion that there could be billions of computers mere decades on seemed somewhat far-fetched and thus it was decided, to implement an address scheme with a theoretical maximum of just over four billion addresses.

33 years on, however, and Europe has officially reached the end of its slice of those four billion addresses. Had ISPs not prepared for this, firms would have no choice but to stop offering internet services for their new products. ISPs are free to chose their own solutions to the address shortage issue, with many choosing to implement the new IPv6 standard, currently tunnelling existing IPv4 connections over the new protocol to maintain compatibility. Other ISPs are resorting to NAT (Network Address Translation), the same technology used to allow computers on a local network to access the internet under a single address.

Ultimately, full IPv6 migration will be the only way forward. It's the closest alternative to be supported in most modern hardware and offers the most efficient long-term solution. IPv6 solves our addressing problem by offering up a number of addresses so high, that, *fingers crossed* we should never come even remotely close to reaching the theoretical maximum, which is 340 undecillion unique values (that's 340,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 addresses).

IPv6 accomplishes this huge number by using 128-bit addresses, four times the size of current 32-bit addresses. Initially, this may seem like a huge inefficiency, an extra 12 bytes per data packet, just for the address, a typically unacceptable overhead. However, IPv6's huge address range makes some seriously cool stuff possible.

Currently, businesses and home computers sit behind a NAT router. This router performs address translation to a single internet-side IP address. This is a slow process and can lead to complex configurations for the routing of incoming data to various devices, introducing overheads of its own. With IPv6, however, the notion of NAT will eventually disappear; every computer will be able to have a unique, internet-facing IP address. Gone will be configuration and many of the popular fire-walling and port-forwarding woes. Likewise, other changes to the protocol make it less computationally intensive to route, which could lower the cost/power consumption of user-end modems/routers though, most importantly, enables far more cost-effective and efficient carrier-grade equipment, ideal for high-speed international fibre routing.

It may be a while yet before your household or business is switched to IPv6 - though the European IP address body, Ripe, has ran out of addresses, many ISPs still have addresses assigned to themselves that are unused. Somewhere down the line, however, expect a new router or a letter with new configuration details through the door, to switch you over to IPv6.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:23:42 PM by whitetop »
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline catacombkid808

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: IPv4 net address river runs dry
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »
Very cool. Thanks for the info. I can see IPv6 being slowly implemented, I have the settings that support it now, I just don't use it.

You would need an assigned IPv6 address from your ISP right?

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »
whitetop ipv6 is the solution i think as im sure i heared somwhere that even if you were to give every atom on the surface planet an ipv6 address and you would still have enough to do 100+ other earths. ive asked my isp and they say they have enougth ipv4 to last to end of 2013 beggining of 2014 at least and will be rolling out ipv6 around that time

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline cobi_vw

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:22:48 PM »
This is a really cool news post, thanks  :tup:

Offline l0rdnic0

• 2%
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +8/-0
  • TeamCYBER

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 10:47:59 PM »
Funny thing too... I just managed to get a /27 release to me today at work, but its been an ongoing battle with Verizon and InterNIC ppl to get the addresses.. I originally requested this address space in June and had to justify all of my existing "un-used subnets"......

L0rdNiC0 Pioneering Mods on the PSP Slim :taunt:
Sound Mod, Button LED Mod, Security Mod, Dual NUB, Mode Select Switch + More

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
IPv4 net address river runs dry
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 12:41:29 AM »
So far it's only the European area that's run out I think but others aren't far behind

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline Nevbox

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +12/-5
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 11:19:26 AM »
16 million still available, last I heard. Though my dads IT dep. applied for 126 IP address and only got 64, reasonable amount of rationing going on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal