Author Topic: My first PS3 Slim mod!  (Read 6028 times)

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Designing Innovative Mods
    • SteelROMs
My first PS3 Slim mod!
« on: June 16, 2012, 01:08:55 AM »
This is a start, and has a long way to go until its done (if ever).

I seem to be having a heat issue with the resistors for my 4 LED's.  They are 470ohm, 1/2 watt (half watt).  They are getting just as hot as the 1/4 watt ones I was using to start with.  They shouldnt be getting as hot to the touch as they are.  Nothing is shorted, everything is like its supposed to be, just the resistors are getting hot.  I can still touch them with my fingers, and not get burned, but I still feel they are way too hot.  Any ideas why?

I will update this as I get video and pics uploaded.

This is 4 LED's, blue, 0603, 20mAh, under the front lip.  I had to cut 2 rectangular slots on the right, to match the left side (as there are no openings on the right side under the button bar).  Suspended the LEDs in the holes, and hot glued them in place.  I then wired each LED to its own 470 ohm, 1/2 watt resistor, on a custom cut, small piece of breadboard.  I tied the power into the fans 12v source (constant 12v, so its safe, and wont mess with the fan at all) which would be the brown wire.  The ground was the mounting point where the screw goes into the left end of the power supply that ties it to the board.

As an added bonus, when the system shuts off, the LEDs FADE out slowly (as the voltage drops from the fans 12v souce).  Powering on turns on the LEDs instantly though.  I will add a switch later on, which makes sense.  Easily able to fit a switch in the back, flush.  I will show how I will do that, when I get around to it.  For now, enjoy!

UPDATE:  Video has been posted below the pic.  Check it out!

Also, CHECK OUT THAT CLEAN CUT LINE OF LIGHT!  HELL YEAH!!!!!

thearkman2009 - VID_20120617_001414.mp4

Well, my attempt at embedding video didnt work quite like I wanted it.  lol  But its up!

If you have any suggestions on better places to pull more power from, so I can power about 30 or so more LED's that would be great.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 07:27:01 PM by thearkman2009 »

Offline Sammy

• BST BAN
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +15/-1
Re: My first PS3 Slim mod!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 09:41:49 PM »
Looks Awesome! Keep up the Good work!

Toad: Sam, You sound like your stoned out of your mind lol
Me: :D

Offline thearkman2009

• Registered BST
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Designing Innovative Mods
    • SteelROMs
Re: My first PS3 Slim mod!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 10:14:40 PM »
Thanks.  Been a while since I have done anything new in the way of hardware modding (since my last PSP mods), so this is a nice refresher to get me back into the game!

I do have a question though.  Been looking for a way to light up the back of the PS3 logo on the top shell, if I cut it out, so I can light it from behind.  But as usual, I would need a better source to pull my power from.  Not sure of any others off the top of my head.  Im sure the BR drive would work, if I could test it with the power supply installed (power points are under it when installed, so testing live is almost impossible).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal