Author Topic: rather perplexing  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Cookie Monster

• I SMELL SOMETHING
  • CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • GIMMIE COOKIE
rather perplexing
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:29:25 PM »
i have a 80gb old style ps3. It's been working completly fine and i haven't had any long sessions on it as i haven't been home for a while. It has been cleaned whilst i haven't been at home.

So i get home after exams, sit down on my sofa and switch the thing on and it's fine for about an hour.... then in the middle of playing blops the screen freezes for about 5seconds then the whole this just force shuts down with a constant red flashing light. At this point i haven't really bothered reading about ylod, so i did't know that it was on the brink of it.

After it shut down i was kind of like wtf, but i wasn't to fazed by it so i switched it back on straight away. it boots up, tells me i didn't switch it off correctly last time i played and starts restoring stuff of the hdd, gets  me to the home XMB. i then boot up blops again and get to the press start screen. As i go to press start the same thing happens, it just switches off. At this point im begining to think my blops cd is causing this so i try restarting it up again without blops but i get the same thing.

Each time i switch it on it lasts a shorter and shorter time, now it just doesn't boot and YLODs. I recorded it to show my friend and as i was watching the video back over i noticed it flash yellow before it went red. so the sequence is- green (for about 5secs) - yellow (for 0.5 secs) - then it just constantly flashes red until i either switch it off or try and switch it back on.

To my understanding YLOD is caused by overheating, which is why i'm so confused. my ps3 is in pristine condition. Its in a well ventilated area, nothing is blocking any of the vents and its in an open area. I have taken my ps3 apart before, but it was a year ago and i replaced the standard thermal paste with artic5 themal paste.

This has never happened before, so i took it apart and have a look inside. there is literaly not one flake of dust on the inside. I have also tried the fan test- which worked, then i tryed to boot it without the HDD which didn't work. So its not a fault with either the HDD or the power

Any ideas?

thanks toad and indy for the sigglys

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
Re: rather perplexing
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 03:35:33 PM »
It just happens, usually its due from being packed with dirt, others i seen just cause the fan quit working,  they have issues with these just like xboxes. not much you can do , but reflow it and try to see if it will boot up again. is very clean looking. but could just be a bad solder joint on the cpu or gpu

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline Cookie Monster

• I SMELL SOMETHING
  • CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • GIMMIE COOKIE
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »
thats what confuses me, the fans work and it isn't packed with dirt. I feel like a reflow with a heat gun is my last resort. isn't that a slippery slope making the joints even worse every time

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 06:28:13 PM »
thats what confuses me, the fans work and it isn't packed with dirt. I feel like a reflow with a heat gun is my last resort. isn't that a slippery slope making the joints even worse every time

I have reflowed a couple ps3s that had the exact same problem as you and it worked flawlessy on both of them. I would turn towards a reflow. Make sure your using flux.

Offline Cookie Monster

• I SMELL SOMETHING
  • CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • GIMMIE COOKIE
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 03:45:11 AM »
just an update:

i reflowed it according to gilksy. it switches on now and lasts about 30mins before it switches off with a red flashing light.

shall i reflow it again?

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 07:32:45 AM »
just an update:

i reflowed it according to gilksy. it switches on now and lasts about 30mins before it switches off with a red flashing light.

shall i reflow it again?

When i reflow a ps3 , i use a griddle and i use the gilsky way but sometimes you have to reflow it for a 30 seconds each or a minute... on each chip.. preheat the griddle and mother board for about 5 minutes . the griddle should be about 400 degrees...also i use no clean flux  before i start the preheat... do not apply while heating do it before you start.. could splash back and cause serious injuries to your eyes becareful when using no clean flux

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Cookie Monster

• I SMELL SOMETHING
  • CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • GIMMIE COOKIE
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 06:43:31 AM »
so i got i working again. Thanks guys. I just used fllux this time and did it for 45secs on each

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 06:59:32 AM »
so i got i working again. Thanks guys. I just used fllux this time and did it for 45secs on each
Congrates on getting it working, there not as easy as a Xbox 360. and take more time to take apart glad you got it working again  :tup:

Rodent consoles mods

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal