Author Topic: Decent cheap automotive paint  (Read 2590 times)

Offline elizle

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Decent cheap automotive paint
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:41:03 PM »
So, I don't want to pay $10 for every 4oz of HoK paint, but I would like to learn how to use a spray gun with some decent, but lower cost paint. I bought a $15 Harbor Freight paint gun. It might be alright but my regulator is hissing and wasting air like crazy, so I definitely need to buy another one. I should probably also avoid Harbor Freight for that. I just want to learn how to paint with a spray gun. Then I would like to eventually buy a better gun. My current project is a first gen Playstation. I have 8oz of HoK Tangerine sitting next to me but after the experience with the white base coat, I'm going to wait before I attempt to spray that.

TLDR; What is a good brand of paint that I can learn to paint with. What are some suggestions for cheaper spray guns.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
Re: Decent cheap automotive paint
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
So, I don't want to pay $10 for every 4oz of HoK paint, but I would like to learn how to use a spray gun with some decent, but lower cost paint. I bought a $15 Harbor Freight paint gun. It might be alright but my regulator is hissing and wasting air like crazy, so I definitely need to buy another one. I should probably also avoid Harbor Freight for that. I just want to learn how to paint with a spray gun. Then I would like to eventually buy a better gun. My current project is a first gen Playstation. I have 8oz of HoK Tangerine sitting next to me but after the experience with the white base coat, I'm going to wait before I attempt to spray that.

TLDR; What is a good brand of paint that I can learn to paint with. What are some suggestions for cheaper spray guns.
Try reading the instructions on regulating the paint gun... i paid $14 dollars for my airbursh works fine... also try using model paint from a hobbie shop to and thin the paint, automotive paints sometime if you go to some auto body shops ask them if they have any unwanted paints. that there throwing out..

Good brands, Testor, krylon, rust-oleum.. these are paints you can buy and spray from can or buy in cans you can mix and spray... even house paints... all kinds of things you can do, also watch some videos on paintng you can learn alot ....

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline elizle

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Decent cheap automotive paint
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »
I think I'm going to buy this regulator: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y5SFHS/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d5_g263_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0WEGCSRQ3MPE9GZH4A6A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

And try this paint: http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-BSP201-Championship-Finish-System/dp/B0029818QG/ref=pd_sim_auto_3

I have Amazon Prime so that will help with shipping. TCP Global overcharges on shipping on their website. I was $12 for a 4oz bottle of paint on their website and $5 on Amazon through TCP Global. I just wish they had free Prime shipping.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal