Author Topic: Next Generation iPad And iPhone Could be Powered by Quad-Core Chips?  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Frosty

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +2/-6
  • Acidmods User

9 to 5 Mac has discovered code references in iOS 5.1 beta that was seeded to developers last month, which indicate that future iPads and iPhones could be powered by a quad-core processor.

9 to 5 Mac reports:

Hidden deep inside the latest iOS 5.1 beta is updated processing-core management software that not only supports the dual-core processing enabled by the A5 iPhone and iPad chip, but also quad-core processing. The references to quad-core iPhone and iPad chips come by way of a hidden panel that describes cores that are supported by iOS device hardware. The updated core management software includes an option of “/cores/core.3,” and this represents a fourth available processing core…

Extremely reliable and knowledgeable people familiar with iOS’s inner workings explained to me that core references begin at “0.” For example: A single core device would be limited to  ”/cores/core.0,” and a dual-core device would come in at  ”/cores/core.1.” A “core.2″ (which is not referenced in iOS code) would be a triple-core processor according to this labeling method. iOS 5.1 beta 2 now includes core.3, a seemingly quad-core chip from Apple.

It remains to be seen if Apple's next generation A6 system-on-chip that is expected to power iPad 3 and the sixth generation iPhone will come with a quad-core processor. One of the major concerns of using a faster processors is the impact it has on battery life.

9 to 5 Mac points out that since the references have been found in iOS 5.1 beta, which is probably the version Apple is using to test iPad 3, it is possible that the next generation iPad will feature a quad-core processor.

What do you think? What else is on your iPad 3 wish list? Let us know in the comments.

[gmod]great work on the news whitetop.[/gmod]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:11:19 AM by whitetop »

Offline Monk3y

• Amateur Modder
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Next Generation iPad And iPhone Could be Powered by Quad-Core Chips?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:44:34 AM »
That's pretty awesome that they're upgrading. A lot of smaller electronics are getting more and more powerful. I'm pretty sure the PS Vita is also quad core if I'm not mistaken?

Offline COREGAMER

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • I <3 LEDs
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:21:38 PM »
Yep Vita has a quad core ARM CPU

Can't wait for ipad3!!
"A Gamer is only as good as his hardware"

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 08:03:50 PM »
Thats good wont have to worry about small electronics from apple freezing and going slow now.

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

Offline Phantom

• Club AM VIP
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +11/-1
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 08:48:19 PM »
they should really do something about the battery life of smart phones, before they start putting quad-core processors in them.

Offline Monk3y

• Amateur Modder
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 08:58:34 PM »
they should really do something about the battery life of smart phones, before they start putting quad-core processors in them.

Best statement I have heard concerning a smart phone, I have a droid 2 and when I try to do anything that benefits from a smart phone it murders my battery in no time.

Offline COREGAMER

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • I <3 LEDs
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 10:08:59 PM »
We need a revolution in batteries now
Li-ions and lipos just won't do it
"A Gamer is only as good as his hardware"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal