Author Topic: How To: Convert Xbox360 Headset for use on PSP 1k & 2k  (Read 4335 times)

Offline thecoo1est

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +3/-1
How To: Convert Xbox360 Headset for use on PSP 1k & 2k
« on: November 28, 2011, 08:09:46 PM »
Hey this is a guide I put together for anyone interested in doing this, It works quite well too, I am told I am very clear when I speak through it and you can use the built in psp volume to control the ear piece.

Tools I used, wire prep, box cutter, Soldering Iron, Solder, Heat Shrink, Electrical Tape

Standard Xbox 360 Headset

A old usb cable, I have a ton of these so I used it, it will be destroyed so make sure you dont care.

3.5mm Headphone jack. you could use old pair of headphones, make sure to leave as much length on the wire because you will use it. If you want a semi professional end product.

Go ahead and disassemble headphone of 360 headset, peel back cover and there will be 3 tabs that hold speaker in, gently pry until you seperate.

Cut the wires to speaker and mic.

Untie the knot in the factory headset wire and remove from earpiece.

Next, lets prep the usb piece we need, cut the outer rubber around the usb and pry tabs that hold the metal piece in place.

Should come out in one piece like so.

This is a picture of the underside of psp showing the 6pin connector, the headphone input is to the left in this pic. The piece we want to make from the usb cable will slide into the slot beside the headphone input, you want to get the usb piece close to the width of the slot. There are 6 pins inside slot, the only one you want is the top left pin, thats the + for the mic input.

When you are fabricating the usb piece be careful, I used the box cutter to slice it in half and carved the edges for a somewhat finished look. Do your best to make sure the pin from usb piece lines up with the pin you want to contact in psp. You will end up with about half the usb end, giving you 2 pins, the right pin will be dead so you can remove it, the only one you need is the left usb pin to contact the psp pin noted in previous step.

When thats out the way, prep the cut end of you headphone wires. Headphone wires are perfect for the 360 headset because the headset only uses one speaker, so you will have one positive wire for speaker, one positive wire for mic and a shared ground wire. These headphone wires had a red, white, and bare wire for the neg. which will be shared.

If you have heatshrink you will want to go ahead and slide that on the headphone wire with 3.5mm plug your using.

Next slide the factory 360 headset boot over wires, this will give a professional look to your mod.

Slide the wires through the original hole in headset and seat the rubber boot in place.

There is a white wire and bare wire coming from the mic area surrounded by black insulation, the white one is the positive from mic, I decided to use the red wire from the headphone line as the positive for the mic. Then the white wire from headphone wire is the positive for speaker, the exposed wire is the shared ground, solder bare wire from mic which is neg.and neg. speaker connection to the bare wire from headphone. like so.

I put a little piece of heat shrink around the mic pos. wire since it had the most slack, becareful when heating the shrink, the wire is thin and can burn up quick.

Snap the speaker back in place careful to make sure wires are not binding or in the way, reinstall foam cushion and it should look very nice and factory.

Now we move on to the most tedious and dangerous part. Take the box cutter or razor blade and slice down the center of the headphone wire closest to the jack, careful not to cut the wires, find the red wire that was used for the pos. on mic, or what ever color it is in your application and cut it.

Pull the pos. mic wire out to give you enought room to strip it.

You will need to extend it a little to reach your fabed usb connector, I used a piece of wire from a old ethernet cable, but any wire around the same size should be fine.

Slide the usb piece you cut into the slot of psp, you will need to check clearance of the 3.5mm headphone jack, I had to shave a little rubber off to get it in smoothly when the usb piece is plugged in, basically you want to use the box cutter to flatten one side of the 3.5mm jack plug.

Next with the usb piece in place and your shaved headphone jack fitting snug beside it, cut your added wire to the length it needs.

Solder in place and use a small piece of electrical tape to wrap around it. This will secure it a little better when you pull it out.

Carefully remove the assembly from psp, and slide the heat shrink down and over exposed wires, carefully heat until its snug, heat shrink will give it a less rigged up appearance, makes it look like you cared about the project and want it to last. Remeber the far right pin on the fabbed usb piece is a dead pin, its in this pic but I later removed it to be safe so it wouldnt contact any other pins inside the psp. I suggest carefully prying that one out, I used a sowing needle to get under it and break it off.

Source: http://www.psvita-mod.com
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 09:05:19 PM by Crumbz »
Please do not advertise other modding sites in your signature - Regards Admin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal