Author Topic: where to find small slide switch for LED power ON/OFF?  (Read 7957 times)

Offline Moosh89

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
where to find small slide switch for LED power ON/OFF?
« on: October 28, 2011, 06:05:48 PM »
Hi, I am new to the site, and to modding. I haven't actually modded anything yet, I'm just gathering materials.

I've been looking at some of the mods on the boards and they look great!, I can't wait to try my hand at modding :)

I would like to do the sound reactive light mods. I've seen a few of the PSPs on here have little slide power switches. Where can I find a few of these online? The smallest I've found on ebay are (L x W x H): Approx. 19 x 6 x 13mm, which seems alittle bigger then what are used here.

Thanks!
I'm a girl gamer!
PSN: MOOSH89 (I don't accept blank friend requests)
TIMEZONE: -06:00 Central Saskatchewan Time, usually on between 3:00PM - 2:00AM
My wheelchair lift on my van looks like the Powerloader, everytime I get out I feel like shouting "Get away from her, You :censored:!"

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
Re: where to find small slide switch for LED power ON/OFF?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 06:58:23 PM »
There is a way to use the WiFi Switch on the PSP 3000.

If you would like to see the tutorial for this particular mod you can look here

Here: https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,13492.0.html

This is the best mod because it allows for the leds to be on while the psp is on and also allows them to flash with the music.

also this tuturial shows you how to use the WiFi Switch for turning on and off the leds.

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 09:32:53 PM »
Hi, I am new to the site, and to modding. I haven't actually modded anything yet, I'm just gathering materials.

I've been looking at some of the mods on the boards and they look great!, I can't wait to try my hand at modding :)

I would like to do the sound reactive light mods. I've seen a few of the PSPs on here have little slide power switches. Where can I find a few of these online? The smallest I've found on ebay are (L x W x H): Approx. 19 x 6 x 13mm, which seems alittle bigger then what are used here.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site Moosh.

There are two ways you can do what you're talking about (Assuming that you don't want to use an internal switch).

The first is ordering a switch like you said.  Just ebay 2 WAY DIP switch and see what comes up.  These should be plenty small enough to fit in your PSP that you are working on.  They fit great inside of the battery door, and if you're crafty you can have different sources of power (Constant and Speakers.)

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Row-2-54mm-Pitch-2-Ways-IC-Type-DIP-Switches-10Pcs-/260881292389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbdbc9c65

The second is desoldering the wifi switch.

If you want to skip using the LM386 Chip and want to use power directly from the speakers to power your LEDs, you can't use the internal switch because it is connected to other sources.  however, if you desolder the wifi switch, and flip it over, the pins are no longer attatched.  Bridge the wifi connections on the board so the wifi is always on, and use the disconnected wifi leds for you direct contact leds.  This is the sleekest way, as you make no modifications to the outside housing.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Offline Moosh89

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 10:19:01 PM »
Thanks!

At the risk of sounding like a total newbie, I'm just looking for a simple sound reactive light mod for my first PSP mod, so I'd like to skip the LM386 chip for now. I am originally getting into modding for simple led mods in PS3 controllers, but I acquired a free PSP 3000 from my brother Will.

I sold him my PSP Go, and he gave me his 3000 that he spilled some iced tea on. It still works luckily, but the speakers need to be replaced as they're all sketchy. I have ordered some new ones that should be here in about 2 weeks, around the time my variable watt soldering iron arrives :). I plan to fix it up and taunt him with it by playing one of his songs with some sound reactive LED action (He is a rapper, and is getting pretty popular, He has opened for Swollen Members a few times, and has collaborated with Mad Child) haha, I must be an evil sister or something... hahaha

Anyway... Ya, I would like to stay away from the Wifi switch option as well, because I'm new to soldering and modding, but I would like to have the lights with a switch to turn them on or off. I was going to wire them to the speakers, and I figured if you were playing a game in a dark room that the flashing might get distracting. So a switch that was easily accessible would be nice. I don't care if you can see it, as long as its small.

and I'm going to be completely honest with you nEoVaLoR... I really didn't understand any part of that last bit you said about flipping, bridging, sources... bahahaha! I'm hoping its because I haven't had any experience yet, and that I'm not that stupid hahaha. I have watched a few videos of different methods, and I did read the guide that Crumbz linked to (Thanks Crumbz!), but that seemed pretty advanced to me too. I know it oes not have to be that advanced, but no doubt, that is probably the best way, and looks better.

I will definitely come back to that tut when I have more experience, although I'm not sure how popular PSPs will be once the Vita releases on Feb. 22nd... :O
I'm a girl gamer!
My wheelchair lift on my van looks like the Powerloader, everytime I get out I feel like shouting "Get away from her, You :censored:!"

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 10:46:09 PM »
you can just  direct wire to the + and - on the speakers. and the led will respond to the pulses... but playing ti too loud will burn out the led so you may want to add a resistor to the leds (optional)

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 11:32:24 PM »
i have a phat and wired it like that, straight to the speakers, no resistors.
playing too loud just uses too much power and actually shuts my psp off o.o'
My systems:  -PSP 2001, CFW and PSP 3000 shell.  -PSP 1001, LED mods, custom firmware, speaker mods, sound reactive LEDs.  -Black NDSL, LED mod, 0.5x and 2x speed mod. 

Offline Moosh89

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 11:39:54 PM »
you can just  direct wire to the + and - on the speakers. and the led will respond to the pulses... but playing ti too loud will burn out the led so you may want to add a resistor to the leds (optional)

Oooh!, thanks for the tip! which resistor do you recommend?

i have a phat and wired it like that, straight to the speakers, no resistors.
playing too loud just uses too much power and actually shuts my psp off o.o'

I certainly do not want this to happen... how can I avoid this? by using a resistor?

Would I need a resistor for each LED I use? I was thinking of doing the shoulder buttons and the ring of light with 4 small 0603s, so 6 0603s... with a single small switch mounted on the back or the side somewhere... how should I do this?

Thanks so much guys!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:40:50 PM by Moosh89 »
I'm a girl gamer!

Offline COREGAMER

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • I <3 LEDs
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 01:44:13 AM »
welcome moosh

since you are new to modding I would recomend doing only the shoulder buttons first an the resistor depends on what colour led you use and how many volts it can take.You would need a 54 ohm resistor if you were to connect 2 red leds in parallel and if you were to use blue leds then you wouldn't even need and resistor.

I recommend you use the blue leds since you won't require a resistor and that will make things a whole lot easier.just connect them directly to the speakers you your done
"A Gamer is only as good as his hardware"

Offline zack247

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Bork or something.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 08:02:06 AM »
^ what core said.

moosh i wouldnt really use my psp as a thing to compare reasonable results to though, its got lots of other power sucking features ive put into it so i wouldve expected nothing less.

if you wire the blue LEDs straight to the speaker they'll work just fine, other colours may need a resistor, in which case im sure were knowledgeable enough to tell you the value.
My systems:  -PSP 2001, CFW and PSP 3000 shell.  -PSP 1001, LED mods, custom firmware, speaker mods, sound reactive LEDs.  -Black NDSL, LED mod, 0.5x and 2x speed mod. 

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 09:58:23 AM »
Oooh!, thanks for the tip! which resistor do you recommend?

I certainly do not want this to happen... how can I avoid this? by using a resistor?

Would I need a resistor for each LED I use? I was thinking of doing the shoulder buttons and the ring of light with 4 small 0603s, so 6 0603s... with a single small switch mounted on the back or the side somewhere... how should I do this?

Thanks so much guys!

When you buy your leds, there should be information about the voltages. Input them into this: http://ledz.com/?p=zz.led.resistor.calculator  This will tell you what resistor you need.  You would not need a resistor for blue, green, or white leds if they are coming straight from the speakers.

Make sure you buy extra 0603s to practice soldering on.

Offline Moosh89

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 01:48:53 PM »
Thanks everyone, I was planning to use blue anyway. I know you do not need a resistor for blue in a PS3 controller, but I'm not familiar wth the voltages being given by the PSP yet. I will learn though, even if everyone here has to help me :) haha

Thanks again!, I've got the LEDs (0603s & 3mms), wires (and some 10ohm resistors for other coloured 3mms for PS3 controllers) I'm expecting the speakers, soldering iron in about 10-14 days. I've read about the diffficulties of using plastic portions inside the UMD door, with the UMDs not reading right, so I think I'm gonna just order a clear UMD door, then paint it so theres just a clear ring showing... and maybe a clear "PSP" logo.

*EDIT*: Would a 2000 UMD door work on my 3000? I can only find a clear UMD door for the 2000...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 12:13:32 AM by Moosh89 »
I'm a girl gamer!

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 09:23:12 PM »
Thanks everyone, I was planning to use blue anyway. I know you do not need a resistor for blue in a PS3 controller, but I'm not familiar wth the voltages being given by the PSP yet. I will learn though, even if everyone here has to help me :) haha

Thanks again!, I've got the LEDs (0603s & 3mms), wires (and some 10ohm resistors for other coloured 3mms for PS3 controllers) I'm expecting the speakers, soldering iron in about 10-14 days. I've read about the diffficulties of using plastic portions inside the UMD door, with the UMDs not reading right, so I think I'm gonna just order a clear UMD door, then paint it so theres just a clear ring showing... and maybe a clear "PSP" logo.

*EDIT*: Would a 2000 UMD door work on my 3000? I can only find a clear UMD door for the 2000...

Yes, it would work.

Offline Moosh89

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 11:20:11 PM »
Right on, Thanks, I just ordered it today :)
I'm a girl gamer!

Offline agenteddie

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 02:07:15 PM »
one question. why does it have to be a 2 WAY DIP switch? If there is the possibility on wiring different mods but one is looking to turn them on individually will a 5 way dual row 2.54mm ic type dip switch. I ask because i was looking at various mods and if i want to turn on for example leds and speaker mod and leave off camera mod or whatever mod is possible. dont know if i am clear enough

Offline agenteddie

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 06:25:54 AM »
anyone can help me with the lack of understanding i have with the dip switches?

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 09:00:03 AM »
anyone can help me with the lack of understanding i have with the dip switches?

someone's gonna yell at you for double posting, so don't do that lol.

PM me and i'll help you.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 10:26:35 AM »
one question. why does it have to be a 2 WAY DIP switch? If there is the possibility on wiring different mods but one is looking to turn them on individually will a 5 way dual row 2.54mm ic type dip switch. I ask because i was looking at various mods and if i want to turn on for example leds and speaker mod and leave off camera mod or whatever mod is possible. dont know if i am clear enough

yes

Offline agenteddie

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »

PM me and i'll help you.

PM me and i'll help you.

lol sorry and thanks for the heads up, although the first one was a question then i went to investigating online and got confused reading all these stuff one time

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal