Author Topic: Anyone familiar with Ubuntu Linux?  (Read 2097 times)

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
Anyone familiar with Ubuntu Linux?
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »
I've just recently installed it onto an old laptop of mine, and Im loving the operating system. Only problem is that I cannot use the software center or whatever to download software and programs because the laptop does not have internet connectivity. I was wondering if there was a way to download the programs on a separate computer and then install them on the laptop from a usb drive? 

Also, I will be using this laptop to make a digital photo frame (already completed actually) and so I was wondering if there was a way to make it automatically start a slideshow when I power it on?

Thanks everyone.

P.S. as you can probably tell, I'm kinda a noob with linux. Maybe Ubuntu isnt the right distro for this application? If you know of any lighter/faster versions Id love to know about it. Basically it just needs to support USB, and play slideshows.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline kronosslayer

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Anyone familiar with Ubuntu Linux?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:57:49 AM »
If my memory isn't mistaken, you can download the packages in .deb of the web on certain places depending on the program your looking to install, and then run them as an executable installer.By the way what program are you trying to get?

I would really be beneficial for you get internet hooked up on your main computer, because installing programs through terminal is as easy as

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install "package name here"
or you can use synaptic package manager.
I'm a java developer, Graphic Designer, and an a**hole.

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:46:12 PM »
I was trying to get VLC media player so that I could enable .mp3 playback. Ubuntu 10.04 does not have .mp3 support out of the box. However this is not really a concern of mine now that it will just be used as a photo viewer. I was just inquiring in case I stumble across any helpful software in the future.

My main computer has internet connectivity.  This was just an old scrap computer of mine, its too old to support WiFi or ethernet, so the only way I could get internet connectivity (when it was still on windows xp) was through USB networking, which it seems is not supported in Ubuntu. Therefore, as it stands, I have no internet connectivity.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline Demonboy

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • hunterish
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:06:16 PM »
no necromancy is intended here but im sorry for reviving this thread... are u still on ubuntu? if so usb networking IS supported but u have to do it all by the terminal there really isnt a GUI interface that i know of... but yes if u need help with linux just shoot me a pm i am an avid Linux user and have taught myself alot about it as well as having help from some friends and yea im pretty proficient with it but sein as this thread is almost 9 months old yea... BUT if u dont want to use the USB networking and go through the terminal theres always a external USB wireless card... even if it is old UBUNTU (if tht is indeed what you are using) will support most USB wireless adapters http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036H-802-11b-Wireless-network/dp/B002WCEWU8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335157501&sr=1-1 that is a good wireless card and works out of box with ubuntu no drivers needed

lol look at this crap u can get like 5 bucks a day for doing  poop http://adf.ly/2Knsr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal