Author Topic: Report: Sony's PSN servers were up to date  (Read 3634 times)

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
Report: Sony's PSN servers were up to date
« on: May 10, 2011, 05:41:15 PM »

news on the internet about Sony with the psn not having there security upto date was kinda rumors to make it look bad

might be a few days old but lots of news sites have not put this up due to not being bothered to update on the ps3 news

Bitmob  reports that Sony's PSN servers were running the most recent version of the Apache server software when they were hit, countering testimony  made to the US Congress claiming that the PSN was running "very old versions of Apache software that were unpatched and had no firewall installed." That testimony was admittedly based on second-hand information.

Using Google's webcache, a member of the Beyond3D forums showed that as of March 23, Sony was running version 2.2.17, which was the latest stable version. If you're so inclined, you can double-check the process of B3D's "deathindustrial."

Outdated servers or not, Sony has PSN, SOE and non-PSN related security issues to work out before returning to reality (and compromised trust) at the end of this month.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:48:15 PM by frenulem »
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
Re: Report: Sony's PSN servers were up to date
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 05:55:50 PM »
good topic man!

but i personally know one person who peeked into sonys servers(not the person who hacked, but another guy who scanned sony network infrastructure", and they were ruining really old Apache. US congress were right the first time. it just seem that sony might be trying to cover there tracks. :/

"Beyond3D forums member" is a trusty source?

However this is true man :/ "Outdated servers or not, Sony has PSN, SOE and non-PSN related security issues to work out before returning to reality (and compromised trust) at the end of this month."

anyone has a idea when PSN will be up? ive heard they will try to put up the servers by May 31, but who knows :/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:59:01 PM by geraldrubalcava »

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 05:59:46 PM »
from what ive been reading company are going made and psn could not be getting the cod bo map pack due to this no wounder i could not get a xbox slim were i live cos everyone trading there ps3 in due to taking way to long to get the servers back up

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »
well the ps3 is also a great system, they company behind it has merky waters though. uhhh :/ i guess this is a "only time will tell" situation :/ but COD BO Escalation map pack is going to schedule and will be out June 3 on PSN.

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 06:19:44 PM »
thats only if its back up by end of may if its not they dont know when it will go on the psn says it on there site

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »
nice post man good info to know! I thought it seemed a bit strange that a company as large as Sony would let something as important as that slip...

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 08:51:15 AM »
but i personally know one person who peeked into sonys servers(not the person who hacked, but another guy who scanned sony network infrastructure", and they were ruining really old Apache. US congress were right the first time. it just seem that sony might be trying to cover there tracks. :/

"Beyond3D forums member" is a trusty source?

and some random guy you know who "scanned sony network infrastructure" is a trustworthy source?... come on...

I really don't think it matters what version they were running, Sony kinda screwed up, and someone hacked their system. You know as well as I do that where there is a will there is a way, and if someone really wanted to hack Sony (or nearly anywhere else) it was going to happen no matter what was done...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:51:36 AM by jrfhoutx »
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 02:13:09 PM »
well the US goverment did a scan and figured out they were not maintain there servers. well i know this guy because he is part of my irc group and he was assigned to a task by third party security firm yo investigate.

you got a good point about the "there js a way" part. BUT its highly important to keep servers updated. Because every peace of software will always have a flaw, a bug, a security hole. the version they were running had many known security flaws that are known thorough the internet.

its like saying "why do i update windows if i have a anti virus?"
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:15:33 PM by geraldrubalcava »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal