Author Topic: Looking for tips on PSP Internal battery Mod.  (Read 19132 times)

Offline Evockzi

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Looking for tips on PSP Internal battery Mod.
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »
With my interest in my PSP renewed as I found out about CFW for 3000's, I'm now looking into stuff I was looking into prior.

I thought about extending the battery by using the space within UMD compartment, I went... someone must have done this before, and so they have.

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,32190.0.html

i am from china, i DIY IT,i made MUD batteries such as the pictures.but you must remove the UMD mod.i am planing to sell them on ebay.
those batteries can let your PSP works 12-24hours .now here is the amazing creation: (vedio install guidance is available.)

if somebody want to buy from me, it will be around $60 with shipping via air mail..add extra 10usd to get EMS express shipping.
i will upload the vedio for modify soon.
you can also send me your psp and let me do for you, but modify fees will be quested...lolz :clap: :clap: :w00t:

Another thing posted in the topic, re: the circuit to protect the main battery from overload, though still not sure what is avaliable, but , imagine this would do the trick, credit to atomicareprise for finding.

Charge/Dicharge Protective Circuit Board

Now Cellphone batteries were used, 2 of them, which seems plausible, problem is, there are 1000's of cellphone batteries under the sun, and I need 2 that will fit the UMD bay well, and deliver highest mAh for their size.

I'm fairly confident in my ability to do this mod through my fairly extensive experience with computer case/hard modding.

I just really need some help finding the parts  :whoosh: (specially the batteries)

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:12:04 AM by Evockzi »

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
Re: Looking for tips on PSP Internal battery Mod.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:11:37 AM »
you could try ebay. Or you could try using a rechargable mp3 battery. Check www.dealextreme.com for a good battery.

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline Evockzi

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:26:58 AM »
Oh I know there are lots of batteries I have in mind, unfortunetly most of them aren't Measured so its difficult to just pick a battery and hope I can get the most out of it, as I don't have a huge supply of batteries at my disposal. But managing to find a battery is only a matter of time,

I'm a bit more lost on the heavier electronics side for the circuit board to protect the circuit, and if there are others available and what to look for.  I honestly don't have a clue how to hook that circuit board up since it seems alot different then one I can see.

Offline Sammy

• BST BAN
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +15/-1
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »
Remember to be carefull though, fuses will blow!

Toad: Sam, You sound like your stoned out of your mind lol
Me: :D

Offline Evockzi

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 03:50:16 PM »
Just finished getting stuff in for the device today, my 2x 16gb cards arrived so far working perfectly with my Cr-5400, and reading at 29.7GB, tho am curious why the Write speed seems low, is it because its writing across both drives, Which would normally increase speed in a Raid format.

But my Scandisc 8gb was writting at 4.9mb/s Class 2, and these patriot's Class 4 are writing at 3.3mb/s.. so something smells fishy, also picked up Extended life battery, after scowering the web for after market batteries but... real deal from sony is unbeatable, all the 3600mAh from what I read are junk.

As for this mod proposal, with 2200Mah under the hood and hopefully another 3000mah to go, this device should have enough power to play for days on end.

As for the fuses as long as the charge/discharge circuit is sound I think it should be ok.

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:25:24 AM »
well you could try using this for the battery and just disassemble it (http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2400mah-rechargeable-external-power-pack-for-psp-2000-3000-black-54908)
It will fit inside the UMD compartment and has a board attached to it so you could have it hooked internally to the charge plug and it would show as constantly charging but wouldn't require any sort of charge/discharge circuit board because it was already designed to be used as a charger for the psp.

So it would allow you to have the normal psp battery plus this battery to increase your battery life to 10 to 12 hours.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:25:52 AM by TwistedMind33 »

Offline Evockzi

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 11:28:21 AM »
Basically just take that open up the psp and wire it internally to the connections that you would normally plug into.  Looks like it would work fairly easily,

but my question is obviously how do i charge that? I notice a similar plug in the bottom and even if I wire this the way I want to, I think it is unlikely that this is going to accept a charge that route, other thing I could do is rewire the bottom plug to go into that plug and, have the charge the battery traditionally, but I'm just not sure how the psp is wired, as if its all done on the circuit boards it may be troublesome to solder that much, vs if it is wired.

Offline Sammy

• BST BAN
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +15/-1
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 02:40:10 PM »
about that picture earlyer, could you do 4 of those on a psp phat instead of two?

Offline Evockzi

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 04:37:41 PM »
UMD bay is roughly the same size so I don't think so, if you managed too though you'd have power for like 24hr straight
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:38:09 PM by Evockzi »

Offline Sammy

• BST BAN
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +15/-1
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 04:39:17 PM »
i thought the 1k umd bay was alot bigger because it has that metal cage thing .

Offline Phantom

• Club AM VIP
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +11/-1
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 05:48:50 PM »
heres the battery, be wary of nuclear meltdowns though :taunt: http://worcell.com/product_info.php?products_id=74356 youd most likely be able to find one cheaper if you look around.

and heres a charge protection circuit http://www.batteryjunction.com/prcimopcbfor.html

Offline Evockzi

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 07:58:45 PM »
Thats nearly the perfect dimensions, although kinda tempted now to just mod that external battery into this, should be easier and alot less expensive and risky, no change of nuclear meltdowns.

I just need to figure out how to charge it?

Only way I can think of is rewire the main psp plug in to the charge plugin of the external, and rewire the output of the external to where the input use to go, sort of double bypassing it.

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:17:48 PM »
Thats nearly the perfect dimensions, although kinda tempted now to just mod that external battery into this, should be easier and alot less expensive and risky, no change of nuclear meltdowns.

I just need to figure out how to charge it?

Only way I can think of is rewire the main psp plug in to the charge plugin of the external, and rewire the output of the external to where the input use to go, sort of double bypassing it.

Yeah that would work, and seems like the safest way to keep from overheating the battery (BTW the conversion chip attached the battery gets VERY VERY hot when charging or discharging for even a short time, so just be sure to make it well ventilated and to put black electrical tape underneath the board to stop it from possibly melting the plastic of the case)

But other then the warning it's all good!

Offline Evockzi

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 09:42:09 PM »
ya I'll just saw open a lil vent in there to get some more airflow.

Then again I'm thinking of the hassle of using it in that method, soldering job likely be easier doing the cellphone batteries, then trying to make such tiny connections, and this way USB charges will bypass the battery.  I'll still prob add vents or monitor its temp on the chip that phantomz linked.

I'll definetly have to look around and try n find a deal on a battery like those, will be amazing though if it get it working, 2200mah Sony battery with 2700mah worth of cellphone (more since thats measured at 3.7V)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:49:38 PM by Evockzi »

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 09:49:45 PM »
naw man just do a clear ring mod and use mesh instead of the solid plastic to fill the gap and there's your vent and it's stylish too

Also you can add some led's to make it look cool (BTW there's a red led on the converter board that turns on when it's charging. so you could use that as a sorce of power for a charge L & R led mod or something)

Offline Evockzi

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 10:30:03 PM »
Sounds good, I'll have to look through options like that when I get to doing this.  I don't think I'll do a LED mod though since I play alot in the dark and I think having extra LED's will just annoy me, Might look into wiring up something across the cellphone batteries though so I can have an idicator when they are dead and I'm just running off the PSP battery so I know I only have 12 hours out of like 24 hours left lol..

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 10:36:16 PM »
could do a power based VU meter. Works in ruffly te same way as a basic VU meter for music.
You have the power sorce then a resistor to lower the power output, then and led, resistor, led, resistor, led, resistor, led. as the power drains the lights will lose power the higher up they are and so they will turn off from top to bottom until the battery is essentially dead.

It isint the best way to make a power meter but is does work and is fairly basic.

Offline Evockzi

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 01:21:06 AM »
I just need to find a good site to buy cells at, because paying 35-50$ for two cells is too much overall, unless all of the cellphone batteries I see on ebay are complete fakes for around the 10$ price range.

I just need to find where I can pick up some decent cells,  That or again may beable to buy that PSP charger hack it appart, steal cells, and possibly circuit board ( I feel safer buying a circuit board though) and just use those cells since thats around 12$ and is 2400mah vs 2700mah which honestly isn't a big deal when we are talking about a 40$ difference.

If I do that mod I think i'll do something with that and the ring mod, wire it up so that I get an LED strip running around the ring with as you said resistors running around it, and the ring will slowly collapse as it dies =o would be pretty cool.

This psp is gonna weigh a ton lol.

Now what I think I need so far, not sure if I can buy and get this shipped from one supplier hopefully to ease the difficulty, are those external batteries made by 1 company or is that as good as they are going to get the ones that are on deal extreme?

- External battery
- Protection circuit
- Thin black mesh

Edit: overall going to scratch the LED idea for now just going try and get that external battery, and protection circuit.

My question is for the circuit, the reviews on the ones I can find say shouldn't use over 1A for overheating reasons, now is this going to be same case with what I'm using or?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:44:30 AM by Evockzi »

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 07:01:34 AM »
You can get all of that from www.dealextreme.com except for the black mesh. You'd have to go to a craft store for that.

And as to what resistor to use between LED's i think a 550ohm or the like would be ok. But it ask a R & D member to be sure.

Offline Evockzi

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »
I just essentially need to make a daisy chain equal to the circumference of the inside ring I think?  Just honestly not sure what kind of LED's or Resistors to use.

Also still not 100% sure about that discharge circuit  found on dealsextreme might try n keep looking, but I'm far from expert in it.

Offline Llenrek

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 03:22:45 PM »
I am in the process of repairing my psp and doing some mods also and i have a few questions. i'm going with this battery as my umd compartment mod http://www.pandawill.com/7-in-1-usb-emergency-battery-charger-24000mah-for-psp-nds-dsl-dsi-gba-sp-1.html and i haven't bought it yet but i noticed it has an input and an output to it do you advise i run the charger port to it then to the battery port? also i only want to use this battery alone, do i have to keep the original battery circuit? One more thing, if i can get some advice on a stereo bluetooth mod and a mod to switch between it and the main speakers. Thank you, also i want this battery to be the only battery in use do i need to wire it to the original psp battery circuit?
I am the bone of my sword, Steel is my body, and fire is my blood, I have created over a thousand blades, Unknown to death, Nor known to life, Have withstood pain to create many weapons, But these hands will never hold anything, So as I pray....
Unlimited Blade Works

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 04:03:36 PM »
I am in the process of repairing my psp and doing some mods also and i have a few questions. i'm going with this battery as my umd compartment mod http://www.pandawill.com/7-in-1-usb-emergency-battery-charger-24000mah-for-psp-nds-dsl-dsi-gba-sp-1.html and i haven't bought it yet but i noticed it has an input and an output to it do you advise i run the charger port to it then to the battery port? also i only want to use this battery alone, do i have to keep the original battery circuit? One more thing, if i can get some advice on a stereo bluetooth mod and a mod to switch between it and the main speakers. Thank you, also i want this battery to be the only battery in use do i need to wire it to the original psp battery circuit?

Well for one thing i can tell you that the battery is not going to be 24000mAh. Even through it says that it is, you would never find a battery that size with 24000mAh. Its just above or below 2400 mAh.

And as for the circuitry you have 2 options. you can keep the battery you bought plugged into the charge port from the outside or your second options is to use the circuit board from the original battery to control the power flow to the psp.

So for the second option you would have to remove both of the battery cells from their cases and then desolder each batteries circuit board from it.

Then you would need to solder the circuit board from the psp battery to the battery cell that you bought

Then you would have to fit it into your UMD Drive bay and secure it with electrical tape (to prevent any shorts

And then solder a wire to each of the three psp circuit board prongs and seal those off with either electrical tape or shrink tubing to prevent any electrical shorts.

Then solder each wire to the approvriate prongs on the motherboard.

WARNING!!!

PLEASE BE SURE THAT THE POLARITIES ARE CORRECT AND THAT YOU DO NOT SHORT CIRCUIT ANY OF THE WIRING YOU DID.
ACIDMODS OR MYSELF CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MAY OCCUR FROM USING THIS INFORMATION

Offline Llenrek

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 04:23:10 PM »
i am aware that the battery isnt 26000mah the discharge would be about 700mah but i want to believe that the battery has a large capacity size so i think i'll need to see it first to decide the route i would like to choose but i like your idea of disconnecting the battery and soldering it to the psp battery circuit. i was thinking of bridging it between the charging port , ie let the charger charge the battery then the battery to the charge port inside the psp but i've also see post of external batteries damaging the charge port for the psp so i think i'll try your was but when i get . thanks again
I am the bone of my sword, Steel is my body, and fire is my blood, I have created over a thousand blades, Unknown to death, Nor known to life, Have withstood pain to create many weapons, But these hands will never hold anything, So as I pray....
Unlimited Blade Works

Offline Bubsy

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 10:52:10 AM »
This tutorial is pretty helpful for users who want to do a battery mod for their psp 2000 & 3000 series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmcyH8ppxjI
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:52:44 AM by Bubsy »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal