Author Topic: add on touch buttons to the 360 controller  (Read 8374 times)

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
  • something something Tech support
add on touch buttons to the 360 controller
« on: March 14, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »
would it be possible to take the touch pad in a guitar hero guitar fret and use it as button in a 360 controller for the disabled

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: add on touch buttons to the 360 controller
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:14:11 AM »
my guitar hero guitar has normal buttons????

I have looked at makeing touch sinsitive controllers, but your talking about a $500 controller, which may or may not work.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 07:14:25 PM »
optical isolators as button? easy enough.

put your finger over the optocoupler and it will reflect the light back to the light sensitive transistor and switch it like a normal button.

wah-lah you spent $20 to make one.

Heres is one note: you will loose the 'clicking' sensation of a regular button so if you were to build a controller like this it could be awkward to use for the first time.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:37:41 PM »
My dad built some capacitive touch buttons for an amplifier, they didn't seem to complex. Just do a google search for them, I am sure you could find something.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »
dont knowif the reactiontime would be fast enough with an oc
 i waslooking at very small copasitive touchsensor, like the ps3 power and eject buttons, but they are like $70 bucks each

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:26:39 AM »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 11:18:08 AM »
hmmm...yet not sure if hat applies here? you code it ill build it lol

if you code it they will come

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 11:21:03 AM »
hmmm...yet not sure if hat applies here? you code it ill build it lol

if you code it they will come

if i understood how it worked maybe lol

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 07:22:47 PM »
sorry guys i should of explained a bit better couple days ago i took apart my 360 world tour wireless guitar to fix the paint job i did on it a few months ago with out taking it apart upon unscrewing the fret i looked inside and said would it be possible to take the touch part of the fret for sliding your fingers easier and  modify it to work on the controller sort like a boxed add on  thats wired in to the controller ill attach some pictures of the pcb board
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:35:25 PM by toadzilla »

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 09:23:49 PM »
what you guys think

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »
do they correspond to specific buttons on a regular 360 pad?
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 09:32:05 PM »
they do green hits the a and reds b and such such
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:33:57 PM by toadzilla »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 10:00:20 PM »
then I would say yes it's totally possible, but it would depend on how it's wired coming of the board by your finger in the first pic. still it could most likely be rewired straight off the traces on the board, but I suppose some higher res pics of the chip side of the board would be needed and probably need to put a multimeter to it while in use to see which traces are for which buttons if they can't be tracked from the chips...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 11:10:43 PM »
 if high quaility pictures are required ill work on it i put the fret back togeth but i got another one at home i got just in case my gold one dies out i switch bwteen both of em

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »
Apologies for bumping up this oldie, but I ran across it earlier today and became interested in this and decided I'd mess around with one a bit and see how it worked. Figured the info would do better here than in a new thread also.

The board has a HA1805, which is made by Microchip and seems to have no Datasheet online. It appears to be a PIC that's programmed from the factory with whatever, as it's also used in the SSG-2100 3D glasses, but I seriously doubt for the same thing. No idea if it can be reflashed or not, though it does have the pads on the PCB for it, but they could just be there for the initial programming.

The other IC is a 74HC4051, which is an 8 channel multiplexer, but only 5 of the channels are used.

Since there is no DS on the HA1805, one can only guess at what it does exactly, but after tracing everything out most of it's not too hard to figure what it could be. (Note that R6, R7, R8 and R9 are not on this schematic as they are just 0ohm jumpers for power and signals). They are both powered by a 3.3v source from the Guitar.

Pin 5 is a PWM output (scoped it) that is 20kHz and 50% Duty Cycle and 3v p/p when idle (not touched) then varies from 14% to 99% Duty Cycle depending on which pad is touched, and that changes in 9 different 'steps' depending. Green being the lowest value and Orange the highest for the 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 steps that correspond to each of the 5 touch pads, and then any middle ground (touching between Green and Red for example) being the 2, 4, 6, and 8 steps.

The HA1805 switches the 4051 between the 5 different pads and seems too sample each one, most likely on an ADC channel setup as a CVD, a method mentioned earlier and linked to in this thread by hyper999, then it just varies the Duty Cycle of the PWM output depending on that reading.

This PCB is designed to work in the 360, Wii and PS3 Guitars, and while this one I traced out came from a 360 Guitar, it was setup to work for the Wii or PS3. I never really used it personally, didn't like it from the start, so I'm not sure if this one even works exactly like it's supposed too for the 360. The 360 setup has R1 and R2 populated with a 1k Resistor, which sets up a voltage divider and would make it's output when idle right at 0.8v (instead of the 1.6v it is now) which is what the Matrix controllers sit at on their Analog lines when idle, then it would vary from 0v (Min) to 1.6v (Max) just like the Sticks in the 360 controller. I haven't installed the 1k Resistors to confirm this yet, but it's on the list of things to mess with before I'm done with it and put it all back together. It could be this is taken care of on the main board in the Guitar as well, so not needed on the Slide board, again, something else to look at, but will be interesting to test none the less.

Using it to control buttons would be more of a hassle than it would be worth IMHO. You'd be coding up your own PIC to deal with the output of this one, and with Capacitance Touch ICs already out there that could be straight wired into a controller, it's just more unnecessary steps to deal with.

I messed with a QT Touch Sensor awhile back on a 360 controller for the Trigger, didn't really inspire me to keep at it then for gaming.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/QT_RF001.jpg - Pic of the QT IC wired to the controller.

RDCXBG - QT_RF002.mp4 - Cruddy video of it working

There are a pile of other Capacitance Touch Sensor ICs out that are far easier to work with and cheap as well, plenty for a few bucks or less depending on what you're looking for, and provided that SMT parts are your bag. Though as also already pointed out by Modded Matt, they're not as fast as pushing an actual button, not without being made really sensitive, and then you'll have to deal with them going off when you don't want them too. They're far better for things like menu navigation or ease of turning something on or off, but as an input for any kind of faster paced gaming, they're not on my list of things I'd recommend.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 09:56:55 PM »
first thank you for your much insight in to the touch pad  i know it would be a hassle to use but the reason i brought it up was because as it is its already  a hassle to use a controller for an disable person as i understand they get used to it over time   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal